• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

'Cheat and Kick' seems a perfect description of Wengers game plan from back when Arsenal were good

Wenger has been "phoning it in" for years now. Im sure he has very little influence now on the actual tactics, gameplans, motivation or philosophy of his team. In truth, he could probably have taken the last month off, and Arsenal would be in much the same position they are now.

His legacy is from another era now, and he simply has no clue how to manage success in this day and age. He has'nt moved with the times or embraced the way the premier league has changed this last decade. I would'nt be suprised if this season is his last.

Wenger has been "phoning it in" for years now. Im sure he has very little influence now on the actual tactics, gameplans, motivation or philosophy of his team. In truth, he could probably have taken the last month off, and Arsenal would be in much the same position they are now.

His legacy is from another era now, and he simply has no clue how to manage success in this day and age. He has'nt moved with the times or embraced the way the premier league has changed this last decade. I would'nt be suprised if this season is his last.

i agree that for most football fans, wenger's legqacy is from another era (simply because legacy is what others think of you). But what suggests he hasnt moved with the times, or embraced the way the premier league has changed this last decade?

Because he seems hell bent on building a team which has no strength through the middle, filled with tippy tappy footballers - has ever a team succeeded in the Premier League?

They've had the same glaring weaknesses for the last seven or eight years and he doesn't seem concerned with either adapting his 'tactics' to suit the league or filling the posistions everyone else seems to realize they need to. 70 odd mil spent on Sanchez and Ozil and they'd look a much stronger team if they had spent a third of that on a decent quality DM instead.

5 defenders in their first team squad - one of which is a kid who is playing his first full season in the league. i can only imagine the furore had we started a season with such poor squad management

Because he seems hell bent on building a team which has no strength through the middle, filled with tippy tappy footballers - has ever a team succeeded in the Premier League?

They've had the same glaring weaknesses for the last seven or eight years and he doesn't seem concerned with either adapting his 'tactics' to suit the league or filling the posistions everyone else seems to realize they need to. 70 odd mil spent on Sanchez and Ozil and they'd look a much stronger team if they had spent a third of that on a decent quality DM instead.

5 defenders in their first team squad - one of which is a kid who is playing his first full season in the league. i can only imagine the furore had we started a season with such poor squad management

arsenal could have a squad with big/strong midfielders, also a quality dcm, and perhaps a better striker. these are what arsenal fans have been asking for right? even if they did have all of these things, they would still be basically where they are at now. for arsenal to compete with Emirates Marketing Project/chelsea/man utd, they need to be buying many many more ozil's and sanchez's for a number of years.

look at chelsea. theyve spent millions on the likes of shevchenko, crespo, drogba, kezman, torres, costa etc etc. in order to basically find that drogba and costa are the strikers that work for them. Emirates Marketing Project is no different. tevez, balotelli, negredo, jovetic, aguero, dzeko etc. arsenal need to buy more players like sanchez to unearth a couple that really work them. and in every position too basically.

arsenal could buy a defensive midfielder like william carvalho. who is big and imposing. but theres every chance that he wont fit for whatever reason. and also even if he does come off, he wont propel them to another level on his own anyway.

in short, arsenal need more spending power to challenge the likes of Emirates Marketing Project. much in the same way we need more spending power to consistently challenge arsenal.

also despite these "glaring weaknesses" you speak of, over the past few years the only teams you could say are better than them are city, chelsea and utd. no-one else had caught arsenal (depsite what newspapers seem to say). and it doesnt take a genius to work out why those 3 clubs are better than arsenal.

also despite these "glaring weaknesses" you speak of, over the past few years the only teams you could say are better than them are city, chelsea and utd. no-one else had caught arsenal (depsite what newspapers seem to say). and it doesnt take a genius to work out why those 3 clubs are better than arsenal.

for the same reasons Arsenal are better than the rest of us :eek:k:

Arsenal are outspending Chelsea in wages and net transfer spend now so really there is no excuse anymore for them to be so painfully behind them

Arsenal have on occasion these past few seasons threatened to join in on the title race and there's no doubt in my mind that a more balanced team/deeper squad would have seen them take that early season promise on to full title challenges on more than one occasion.

re your other points - it's not about a particular player taking them to the next level it's about signing a type of player which balances their team - they are so weak through the middle and have been for yonks - that is why i said take a third of what they spent on Ozil and Sanchez because it doesn't even have to be a top level player in there - just someone capable who does what is required on the defensive side of things in midfield - they play Flamini who was too old for a **** AC Milan side or Arteta who is in no way shape or form the right type of player for that job - it's laughable! it's akin to when Redknapp signed Palacios - no word beater but was exactly the type of player the team needed - and the difference it made having that type of player in our team was huge.

arsenal could have a squad with big/strong midfielders, also a quality dcm, and perhaps a better striker. these are what arsenal fans have been asking for right? even if they did have all of these things, they would still be basically where they are at now. for arsenal to compete with Emirates Marketing Project/chelsea/man utd, they need to be buying many many more ozil's and sanchez's for a number of years.

look at chelsea. theyve spent millions on the likes of shevchenko, crespo, drogba, kezman, torres, costa etc etc. in order to basically find that drogba and costa are the strikers that work for them. Emirates Marketing Project is no different. tevez, balotelli, negredo, jovetic, aguero, dzeko etc. arsenal need to buy more players like sanchez to unearth a couple that really work them. and in every position too basically.

arsenal could buy a defensive midfielder like william carvalho. who is big and imposing. but theres every chance that he wont fit for whatever reason. and also even if he does come off, he wont propel them to another level on his own anyway.

in short, arsenal need more spending power to challenge the likes of Emirates Marketing Project. much in the same way we need more spending power to consistently challenge arsenal.

You seem to find ever more ingenious ways to excuse Wenger :lol: Are you his publicist??

Well, I think the fact that Liverpool got so close to actually winning the Premier League last season blows most of what you say out of the water. Also see how far United have dropped, so money isn't everything. You need good management and coaching structures.

Arsenal have a poorly structured transfer strategy; it is what holds them back from truly challenging City and Chelski.
They have enough money now that if they really wanted to buy Falcao instead of Welbeck that could easily have done so.

We just have to hope it continues as they really should not be allowing us to get as close as we have done in recent years.

Arsenal are outspending Chelsea in wages and net transfer spend now so really there is no excuse anymore for them to be so painfully behind them

Arsenal have on occasion these past few seasons threatened to join in on the title race and there's no doubt in my mind that a more balanced team/deeper squad would have seen them take that early season promise on to full title challenges on more than one occasion.

re your other points - it's not about a particular player taking them to the next level it's about signing a type of player which balances their team - they are so weak through the middle and have been for yonks - that is why i said take a third of what they spent on Ozil and Sanchez because it doesn't even have to be a top level player in there - just someone capable who does what is required on the defensive side of things in midfield - they play Flamini who was too old for a **** AC Milan side or Arteta who is in no way shape or form the right type of player for that job - it's laughable! it's akin to when Redknapp signed Palacios - no word beater but was exactly the type of player the team needed - and the difference it made having that type of player in our team was huge.

Exactly; looking forward to Neymar's response on that one especially :-"

i've complied a list of first team squad members from both arsenal and chelsea and their weekly wages. i've always thought that it was a bit impossible for arsenal to be outspending chelsea in regards to wages, and i think the below table shows that. i got the majority of figures from :

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/arsenal-players-salary-list-2014/
http://www.tsmplug.com/richlist/chelsea-playerss-salaries-2014/

but i have made a few adjustments based on new signing, new contracts etc. adjusted figures come from averaging a number of results from various google search sources.

ARSENAL VS CHELSEA.jpg

However, there are many more important factors to consider in addition to these basic first team salary figures.

- the above chelsea squad list is the result of filtering through many high profile signings (who cost a lot and were on high salaries). ie. the current chelsea squad is the one that they have settled on after numerous trials and errors. therefore the cost of the players that havent worked out does not show up on the table. for example the 50m (+wages) loss that they took on torres does not show on the table. but losses like that were crucial if you want to end up with a worldclass team that gells well and understands each other. arsenal on the other hand, do not speculate on that level. and so their losses in this regard will be much smaller.

- arsenal have a much flatter wage structure. this is a much less riskier way of spreading the wage budget and thus allows them to hold more players (than if they had a more polarised wage structure). as they can't take as bigger hit on any one indivual player. ie. if arsenal had 2 players on 200k and spent 50m on them each, and they completely flopped like shevchenko and torres. that would set arsenal back years. if arsenal want a self-sustaining model, speculating in the transfer market in this manner is just something that arsenal cannot afford to do. Chelsea's team on the other hand was built on this type of transfer market speculation. Therefore, the key point is that arsenal's flatter wage structure enables them to spend a bit more than otherwise. And this should be taken into consideration when comparing Arsenal's wage structure with Chelsea's.

-Chelsea have a lot of players out on loan. guys like marin, moses, and even torres. these players were obviously not included when journalists were making the sensationalists headlines that arsenal were spending more than chelsea. but players like marin are out on loan because they are players that chelsea cannot offload probably due to their high salaries. and chelsea are probably covering part of their wages. arsenal (like every other top club) has these unsuccessful players too, but not to the extent that chelsea do.

- also chelsea are paying absolute fortunes to reserve and youth team players. articles below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...00-week-never-played-team-wont-time-soon.html

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-chelsea-teen-will-earn-1-7m-142846987.html

and i have not doubt that if all players on the chelsea books were compared to arsenals, the difference would be monumental.

that is exactly my point

answered this in my above post

perhaps you are right here. but it is so hard to find that balance. its not football manager where you can just buy a player with good phyiscal and mental attributes and be sorted. as you probably well know, football is about how you combine with team mates and finding a way of playing that suits the players etc. therefore its no surprise that arsenal (like all other teams) havent been totally efficient in this regard.

i guess my answer will be similar to what ive said above. but, even if arsenal got a roy keane in his prime, i still think they would be off the leaders. if arsenal got a roy keane, fans would be blaming the fact that arsenal have giroud up front when their rivals have costa and aguero. if arsenal got a thierry henry, fans would then be complaining about the fact that they have mertesacker when city and chelsea have kompany and terry etc. you could do the same with the goalkeeper. the list is endless. fans always think they are only one or two players away, but in reality, that is rarely the case.

You seem to find ever more ingenious ways to excuse Wenger :lol: Are you his publicist??
if i was offered the job of wenger's publicist, id drop my tottenham allegiance in an instance :)

Well, I think the fact that Liverpool got so close to actually winning the Premier League last season blows most of what you say out of the water. Also see how far United have dropped, so money isn't everything. You need good management and coaching structures.

i totally disagree. in any one given season, theres enough luck/variance in football for teams to acheive beyond their means. if you look at a teams' performances over 4/5 years, almost all the time, they perform relative to their spending capacity. liverpool are worse than us imo, and will not do anything like they did last year for a long time. look at dortmund. they performed above bayern for a couple of years. but the fact that they couldnt hold onto their players (due to lacking the financial might), means that they are regressing to the mean. they got lucky with their transfers and youth team players (goetze, reus, kagawa etc) and performed well, but at the end of the day you need the financial capacity to hold on to these players, and they didnt have that. hence in the last few years their performances are closer to that of leverkusen and schalke, which is expected given their finances. thats modern football. i say "lucky" because evidently, they cannot repeat those feats.

look at us: bale, modric, berbatov, campbell etc. all world class players. they left because we didnt have the finances to hold onto them. arsenal: rpv, fabregas, nasri, song, clichy, sagna, henry. again all worldclass players who left for teams offering more money. because of this, long term a team will only perform relative to its spending capacity. despite what football fans like to think, re man management, tactics, coaching, scouting etc etc, 99% of a football teams performance is explained by its relative wealth.

Arsenal have a poorly structured transfer strategy; it is what holds them back from truly challenging City and Chelski.
They have enough money now that if they really wanted to buy Falcao instead of Welbeck that could easily have done so.

We just have to hope it continues as they really should not be allowing us to get as close as we have done in recent years.

arsenal can buy whoever they want. thats probably true. but for the reasons mentioned in the previous posts, it wouldnt be financially wise to do so. the problem is fans see football through sporting success only. but the board have to manage the finances too, hence the conflict. espcially in arsenal's case, where the owners seem intent on running a yearly profit.

Alexis Sanchez is becoming frustrated with life at Arsenal – especially with record signing Mesut Ozil, according to reports in the Chilean media.

Sanchez has already become a firm favourite at the club with both supporters and his team-mates praising him openly.

But La Tercera newspaper says the forward has endured a bumpy start to life at the club and is uncomfortable with the level of support from some team-mates, including Ozil.

The suggestions, however, go against the public perception of Sanchez, who has seemingly settled perfectly well since arriving from Barcelona in a £30million deal.

Alexis Sanchez is becoming frustrated with life at Arsenal – especially with record signing Mesut Ozil, according to reports in the Chilean media.

Sanchez has already become a firm favourite at the club with both supporters and his team-mates praising him openly.

But La Tercera newspaper says the forward has endured a bumpy start to life at the club and is uncomfortable with the level of support from some team-mates, including Ozil.

The suggestions, however, go against the public perception of Sanchez, who has seemingly settled perfectly well since arriving from Barcelona in a £30million deal.

Ohhhh, what have we here....source????

They've had the decorators in:

_78685020_@markg_arsenal.png

_78685022_@markg_arsenal2.png

:ross: ****ing ****s.

Paul Merson said:
If I'm being honest I think they're tactically clueless. How you can be 3-0 up and attacking? This is not the first time, this happens a lot of times. It is absolutely clueless.

For me the manager's got to get a message on [to the players]. You're playing with international footballers, these are not little kids. These have played for their countries lots of times. They've played in World Cups, they've played a lot of Premier League games. They're all bombing forward. If you know football you say 'right, let's stop here. Let's have two banks of four, let's leave two up front and we'll go from there. Let them break us down.

I bet you Jose Mourinho hasn't drawn too many games from being 3-0 up. That tells you everything.

:beer:

Back