• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

yes. but you know that fergie loves a scoring sub. not sure how he keeps them happy though. cheeky bid?

Biggest club in the world.
High wages.
Tons of media exposure.
The hairdryer.

Are we still believing footballers are in this to start games for a club? :-k
I can easily see the logic behind a player's choice to bench in Manchester rather than start for Spurs. I just don't agree with that logic personally. In the end though, he will win titles, get more £££ and much more fame worldwide. That is how they are kept happy, with a few exceptions.

We probably would have sold him after 1 season of NOT playing and he'd of went on and scored somewhere else.

Robin van Persie stands to earn an extra £10million on top of his mammoth £250,000-a-week wages at Manchester United - just for staying at the club for the duration of his four year contract.

The cash bonus will be spread throughout his stay at Old Trafford and does not take into account any bonuses that the 29-year-old will earn if United win the League, FA Cup, League Cup or the Champions League.

Many inside United, including chief executive David Gill, questioned whether a £64million investment in Van Persie - a £24m transfer fee plus his wages for four years - was prudent.

Ferguson went to unprecedented lengths to push through the deal for Van Persie, believing it was the only way for him to leave a fitting legacy when he retires aged 72 in the summer of 2014.

There will be no resale value on the Holland striker to help ease the club's debts, which run into hundreds of millions of pounds.

But having given the Glazer family his public support over the years, against the wishes of many United fans, the owners gave Ferguson payback by bankrolling the deal.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2190522/Robin-Van-Persie-earn-10m-loyalty-bonus-Manchester-United.html

547207_268675603243598_1746863014_n.jpg

Players leaving Arsenal...

The players who have left arsenal in the last 7 years have won 44 winners medals between then, in the same period arsenal have won zero

ALEX SONG’S £15million switch to Barcelona capped a seven-year exodus of stars who won 44 winner’s medals — with Arsenal flops getting NONE.

While Song and £22m Robin van Persie, who joined Manchester United, have yet to win a gong with their new clubs, they are almost guaranteed to do so.

SunSport looked at how many medals ex-Arsenal stars won since leaving. Gunners fans may want to look away now!

Since winning the 2005 FA Cup, Arsenal have gone trophyless as they offloaded 17 top players, who won 44 major medals with 11 different clubs.

Thierry Henry, Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, RVP and Song are some names who left for glory.

Arsenal raked in £163m for those who left, without the £39m they will get for RVP and Song.

In our research, we have not included the Community Shield or national Super Cups.

Ironically, players won medals with PORTSMOUTH (1 FA Cup for Sol Campbell and Lassana Diarra) and BIRMINGHAM (1 Carling Cup for Seb Larsson and Alex Hleb).

No wonder midfielder Song was happy to have joined Catalans a year after his close pal Fabregas, who won three major trophies.

Song said: “I said ‘yes’ to everything Barca wanted. This chance is once in a lifetime. They’re a team of champions.

“My kids are happy. They play in the garden and pretend to be Messi. I’m in a team full of stars.

“The style of play is similar to Arsenal. Cesc will help me adapt.”

Do you reckon they regret leaving the gunners ???

Last edited:
The players who have left arsenal in the last 7 years have won 44 winners medals between then, in the same period arsenal have won zero

Do you reckon they regret leaving the gunners ???

To put that into context, how many players is that spread over?

and some have come to spurs recently - gallas and ade - without any qualms.

much less of the old rivalry these days.

(there - i've just made this thread relevant to spurs with this post)

Main beneficiaries are Barcelona who have given Arsenal over £121m for their players according to Talk Sport

.....or Arsenal who have turned a profit of about £100m on the same players, not including money from consistently qualifying for the CL and shirt sales with their names on them. Plus all the cash they have saved on silver polish.

[h=1]Bacary Sagna reveals doubts about Arsenal transfer policy[/h]Comments (208)

Arsenal right-back Bacary Sagna has questioned the club's transfer policy.
The Gunners have let Robin van Persie and Alexander Song leave this summer following the exits of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy last year.
“In May, I watched Emirates Marketing Project's parade on television. I watched Samir and Gael lift the trophy. It makes you want that”
Bacary Sagna

"I expected Robin's departure," Sagna, 29, told French newspaper L'Equipe. "But Alex, that was a surprise. He's 24 and had three years on his contract.
"When you see your two best players from last season leave, you ask yourself questions."
Striker Van Persie was sold to Manchester United after saying he would not extend his Gunners contract beyond next summer, while Song left to join Barcelona.
"In the street, supporters sometimes come to see me. I can understand that they're annoyed. I'm like them - I don't understand everything," added Sagna.
Nasri and Clichy joined Emirates Marketing Project in summer 2011 and went on to help the club win the Premier League title last season.
"In May, I watched Emirates Marketing Project's parade on television. I watched Samir and Gael lift the trophy. It makes you want that," said the France international.
Sagna joined Arsenal from Auxerre in July 2007 and has made 205 appearances for the Gunners, although he is currently sidelined as he recovers from the broken leg he suffered against Norwich in May.
His own contract runs to the end of the 2013-14 season and when asked whether anyone at Arsenal had spoken to him about extending it, he replied: "No, nobody."

OT: Arsenal's André Santos given driving ban after 145mph police chase

Arsenal's André Santos given driving ban after 145mph police chase

The Arsenal defender André Santos was banned from driving for 12 months on Thursday after admitting speeding at up to 145mph in rush-hour traffic while being pursued by police.

The 29-year-old failed to stop as he was chased and wove between lanes on a busy motorway on the morning of 17 August, a court heard.

Santos evaded officers as he drove his black Maserati on the A1 and M25 in Hertfordshire before he pulled over and was arrested close to Arsenal's training ground.

Santos pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention during a hearing at Hendon magistrates court in north west London. He was also ordered to pay £3,600 in fines and costs.

The court heard that PC Chris Hurt and a colleague spotted Santos's Maserati accelerating at high speeds after passing a speed camera on the A41 towards Stirling Corner at around 9.15am.

The prosecutor, Inder Gohlar, said Santos failed to stop when the officers turned on their siren in pursuit of his vehicle, before he drove on to the A1 dual carriageway. It was estimated that Santos was travelling at speeds in the region of 135mph-145mph – double the road's limit of 70mph.

The Brazil international then drove on to the M25, forcing some drivers to brake quickly to avoid collisions as he moved between the motorway's lanes, the court was told.

Santos eventually pulled over just 400m from Arsenal's training ground. He told officers he had been driving quickly as he was late for training, and was unaware he was being pursued as his music was playing loudly, Ms Gohlar said.

In a statement given to police after his arrest, Santos said: "My music was on loud and I was not paying attention. I apologise to the police and for the trouble I've caused."

---

For me as a Norwegian this sounds absolutely ridiculous. Over here he would have been jailed immediately for jeopardizing other people's lives. Probably for a long time as well.

What do you Brits say about this? Was he let of the hook lightly because he is a top level football player (probably with expensive lawyers), or is this a normal punishment for excessive speeding? I mean, based on this article, he could've easily killed others - or himself.

Mods: Please move to the other forum if neccesary.

Re: OT: Arsenal's André Santos given driving ban after 145mph police chase

That sounds like a normal punishment for that level of bad driving. Although I do find punishments for driving offences to be not very severe in this country, its usually just a fine and a few penalty points (unless you are drink driving, then your license is taken away for a long time, which is fair enough). IF you ever get the chance, watch one of those Traffic Cop tv shows, you'll be amazed at how lightly most people are punished!

Back