• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Shifting timber and exercise at home

Bedfordspurs

Arthur Rowe
Is anyone an expert or have knowledge on getting great workouts at home?

Since my shoulder op last year I’ve gradually been hitting weights again and I do a tonne of walking but I’m keen to diversify to avoid boredom

I’m keen to get others experiences If your happy to share

A good one is to get a pull up bar to attach somewhere around the house which is good for shoulders, back and arms.

Press ups are really under rated too....

You won't lose weight through exercise. Or its only 20% contribution anyway. Its fundamentally about change of diet (the 80%). Fitness is great in its own right, but the two things are a bit separate.

In terms of home exercise, during Covid i supplemented running and wild swimming with pilates dvds. The APPI series are good. Id start with Intermediate Matwork, then move on to Advance Matwork: https://shop.appihealthgroup.com/product-category/all-products/pilates-dvds/. Pilates is brilliant for flexibility, core strength and injury prevention.

A good one is to get a pull up bar to attach somewhere around the house which is good for shoulders, back and arms.

Press ups are really under rated too....
My shoulder would collapse with any kind of pull up. Im about 18 months away from that according to the surgeon

I do a decent amount of press ups and can bench press now which is handy

I’ve got a spinning bike - have lost 8 kilos in two months, in combination with cutting a lot of crap out of my diet.

I’ve got a spinning bike - have lost 8 kilos in two months, in combination with cutting a lot of crap out of my diet.
I was going to recommend this too. I am struggling with getting to the gym as my work has just become too busy, thinking of picking up a second hand spin bike from facebook and seeing if that'll help. Can i ask where you got yours?

You won't lose weight through exercise. Or its only 20% contribution anyway. Its fundamentally about change of diet (the 80%). Fitness is great in its own right, but the two things are a bit separate.

In terms of home exercise, during Covid i supplemented running and wild swimming with pilates dvds. The APPI series are good. Id start with Intermediate Matwork, then move on to Advance Matwork: https://shop.appihealthgroup.com/product-category/all-products/pilates-dvds/. Pilates is brilliant for flexibility, core strength and injury prevention.

On your first point, at least you reigned it back in but yeah, using more calories via exercise / movement aids being in a caloric deficit which is as I understand it, the only (natural) way to lose weight. Happy to be proven wrong on that. Sure even if you're training like an absolute demon you might still be burning more energy via your other bodily systems in terms of percentages but it's still a big part of it. Not to mention the mental and physical positive effects of exercise when done correctly.

It reminds me of that self titled fat doctor who was seriously stating that diet / exercise doesn't affect your weight, it might be what overweight people want to hear but that doesn't make it true. I appreciate sometimes people are at a disadvantage with genetics / glandular / metabolic conditions, nobody's saying it's a level playing field.

@ Bedford - Without wanting to be too wishy washy, it depends on what you enjoy / what works best for you. Consistently is king, as well form. For some it has to be made fun and social otherwise there's no chance so sports are the best way forward. For others some want exercise as their alone time so just headphone up in the gym or out running and appreciate the solitude. If you were after raw weight loss, I'd suggest skipping in the morning pre breakfast and then a fudge tonne of walking whilst cutting crap out of the diet. I don't think calorie counting works for everyone but as long as you're vaguely aware whether what you're eating is full of useful stuff rather than a fudge tonne of empty simple carbs that should do the job.

To hijack the thread, where do folks get supplements from? H and B is way too expensive if there's no buy one get one half price. I'm also looking for recommendations for a protein powder type supplement that isn't full of crap. I'm thinking possibly the high protein huel variant as at least it's mainly whole foods rather than added sugars and the like.

I was going to recommend this too. I am struggling with getting to the gym as my work has just become too busy, thinking of picking up a second hand spin bike from facebook and seeing if that'll help. Can i ask where you got yours?
I teach, and our school gym were upgrading their bikes and selling off the old ones. Got it stupidly cheap tbh.

If anyone wants to lose serious weight, the absolute game changer is just to completely cut out bread from your diet. The modern ultra-processed stuff is pretty much toxic for your gut and it saps all your energy.

I reckon 3 months of exercise could help someone shift say half a stone (water weight). But 3 months of no bread could treble or quadruple that.

If anyone wants to lose serious weight, the absolute game changer is just to completely cut out bread from your diet. The modern ultra-processed stuff is pretty much toxic for your gut and it saps all your energy.

I reckon 3 months of exercise could help someone shift say half a stone (water weight). But 3 months of no bread could treble or quadruple that.

If you find some time in between making completely unsubstantiated claims not based upon scientific evidence please reply to my response to your first post.

Try some workouts on youtube, Joe Wicks is the obvious one but there's quite a few that do it. I've done a few and they're pretty good and lots of variety of exercises and length. Sometimes I do 15-20 minute ones if I'm pushed for time.

Back