• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

Can't see that happening Finney. Think it's far more likely he spends pre season really working on this area of his game. Hes pretty good at all other aspects and it's his first season in a more physical league. Of all the areas that a goalkeeper needs to be coached/improved, I don't envisage this being a particularly difficult one to work on....
A BIG part is it is the confidence to come for the ball

That article is equally scathing of United and Villa and neither is likely to be getting a new first choice

Ange went in hard against this in the presser and said he couldn't care less. People should find out from his history that he won't change on this point and will get success without needing to focus on set pieces
If you are constantly conceding from set pieces and fail to address it that is not only arrogant but is also a dereliction of duty on the part of a manager.

Something changed at Celtic around set pieces as his second season numbers were half of the first

Perhaps we should poach Gavin Strachan from Celtic, as Postecoglou credited him with their improvement.

The keeper gets stuck on his line and is incredibly weak. Everything stems from that. The fact that every team now know this compounds it. I wonder whether we are going to have to replace the keeper as it is not as though he is a youngster still learning his trade.

No it doesn't, it is as much a symptom of our relative lack of dynamic ariel presence from set-pieces/secondary height. One of the unspoken things we've missed with Kane gone is his ability to help defend those set pieces. If Richy started on Sunday I think at least one of those goals doesn't happen. Replace the keeper? 27 years old, first season in the Premier League? Lloris was only a year younger when he signed. The truth is Vicario is learning this season. If we see the same issues next season then I'd start to wonder, but you'd give up on a keeper who's actually a great goalkeeper because he (like his management and half the league) are trying to figure out when a foul is a foul and when it's acceptable brickhousing? Most of White's plays were fouls anywhere else on the pitch.

No it doesn't, it is as much a symptom of our relative lack of dynamic ariel presence from set-pieces/secondary height. One of the unspoken things we've missed with Kane gone is his ability to help defend those set pieces. If Richy started on Sunday I think at least one of those goals doesn't happen. Replace the keeper? 27 years old, first season in the Premier League? Lloris was only a year younger when he signed. The truth is Vicario is learning this season. If we see the same issues next season then I'd start to wonder, but you'd give up on a keeper who's actually a great goalkeeper because he (like his management and half the league) are trying to figure out when a foul is a foul and when it's acceptable brickhousing? Most of White's plays were fouls anywhere else on the pitch.
They are more like fouls in the area imo

You have to bare in mind that we are still working on getting the tactics right, still in our first season and still getting used to playing together. Lots of different cogs in the movement of the system and some may be neglected in order to get the main wheel moving. We start clicking in play and start getting some sort of consistency going and then we will see our set pieces getting better.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ottenham-copying-arsenal-schoolyard-dark-arts

I love Ange and his views on how football should be played. Part of me does worry, though, that we won't win anything under him, being so unwilling to bend/ push the limits of the rules in the way ALL other elite managers do.
My mind always goes back to the cup semi-final in 2018 (?), where we were far and away the better team but Jose's Utd beat us by fouling and diving at every chance having somehow gone ahead.

It would make it all the sweeter to win something by playing the right way though!

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ottenham-copying-arsenal-schoolyard-dark-arts

I love Ange and his views on how football should be played. Part of me does worry, though, that we won't win anything under him, being so unwilling to bend/ push the limits of the rules in the way ALL other elite managers do.
My mind always goes back to the cup semi-final in 2018 (?), where we were far and away the better team but Jose's Utd beat us by fouling and diving at every chance having somehow gone ahead.

It would make it all the sweeter to win something by playing the right way though!

I know there is this idea that everything a manager says to the press is the gospel, but I just don't buy it.
They will say what they think gets them an advantage.
Whether it's pressure on the board/club to spend, pressure on refs, digging out players or taking the pressure off players.
If ange thinks it's beneficial to say that about set pieces then that is what he will say.
If he actually believes it and says something different in private is another matter.

I know there is this idea that everything a manager says to the press is the gospel, but I just don't buy it.
They will say what they think gets them an advantage.
Whether it's pressure on the board/club to spend, pressure on refs, digging out players or taking the pressure off players.
If ange thinks it's beneficial to say that about set pieces then that is what he will say.
If he actually believes it and says something different in private is another matter.

You got to remember, press conferences are battles in themselves. Press trying to throw gotcha questions at the coach to get headlines. The coach doing his best to avoid that or say something that could be twisted.

Seriously think there are way to many. The assisstant should do the pre match. Just go through if there are any injuries etc... post match have head coach/manager talk about the game. That's it.

Back