• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rule changes in football

Not in rounds 1 and 2 they wouldn't, PL clubs don't even enter till the later rounds anyway so they could have kept them in.

I have mates that played against Port Vale, Carlisle and Luton and it changed the course of their career and the clubs they played for on the away gate split.

These new rules are a joke, especially as the whole make up of the FA Cup is supposed to be around the fact that clubs from way on down the pyramid enter into it.

Easily could have kept it to rounds 1 and 2 and then phased them out in round 3 when PL clubs come in, if thats such an issue

Not that I disagree with you, but doesn't extra time and especially penalties increase the chances of weaker teams going through to the next round and potentially making more money that way? Not sure how prize money compares to gate receipts.

Not that I disagree with you, but doesn't extra time and especially penalties increase the chances of weaker teams going through to the next round and potentially making more money that way? Not sure how prize money compares to gate receipts.

I get that idea but the replay on the draw was a guaranteed game where as the extra time and pens would be a lottery. Replays were an added lifeblood to non league, it's a shame really.

Massive crime that the EFL wasn't even consulted considering they play more games than anyone and every clubs success if relative to their own goals.

Another is what it is moment that we have to swallow.

Last edited:
I get that idea but the replay on the draw was a guaranteed game where as the extra time and pens would be a lottery. Replays were an added lifeblood to non league, it's a shame really.

Massive crime that the EFL wasn't even consulted considering they play more games than anyone and every clubs success if relative to their own goals.

Another is what it is moment that we have to swallow.
I thought they were....4 EFL reps 4 PL reps?

Edit: Sorry that was just the agreement of the new season match calendar...although they should have dugs their heels in on that if they felt they'd been bypassed?

Last edited:
It is just another area that makes the whole thing feel processional., like getting rid of the 2 games over Easter (Saturday and Easter Monday) and the tight fixtures around Christmas. Replays and concentrated fixtures added an element of surprise, of the unknown, into the season, like when everything unravelled for us in 1987 a bit.

Replays, as said above, gave extra cash to lower clubs and supported the pyramid. The hypocrisy of these big clubs lamenting the demise of Bury etc yet voting to cut off other funding streams to protect themselves. Arteta today saying cutting replays was necessary to protect the players but the big clubs will fly to Melbourne for a game straight after the season or do club world championships and myriad of pre-season friendlies to build the brand.

More and more detached from what the football used to mean. Life moves on but doesn't mean it remains palatable.

It is just another area that makes the whole thing feel processional., like getting rid of the 2 games over Easter (Saturday and Easter Monday) and the tight fixtures around Christmas. Replays and concentrated fixtures added an element of surprise, of the unknown, into the season, like when everything unravelled for us in 1987 a bit.

Replays, as said above, gave extra cash to lower clubs and supported the pyramid. The hypocrisy of these big clubs lamenting the demise of Bury etc yet voting to cut off other funding streams to protect themselves. Arteta today saying cutting replays was necessary to protect the players but the big clubs will fly to Melbourne for a game straight after the season or do club world championships and myriad of pre-season friendlies to build the brand.

More and more detached from what the football used to mean. Life moves on but doesn't mean it remains palatable.
What's Arteta on about...adding 2 European games in January is the catalyst for this change. This hasn't 'helped' reduce the burden of games, the European dates have replaced them.

Last edited:

We will be seeing FA CUP tie tours in Saudi within 5 -10 years, would lay my house on it

I’ve only just discovered that the Europa League has the same changes next season as the Champions League - 36 teams, all in one big league, play 8 games rather than 6, and have to play a play-off game to get into the last 16 (if you don’t finish in top 8).

Does anyone like these changes?

I don’t like: 36 teams means an extra 8 bricky teams in the Europa League; there’s potentially 4 extra matches to play in total; a big league where 2/3s of teams go through to next stage is less tense and exciting than the old group format.

I’ve only just discovered that the Europa League has the same changes next season as the Champions League - 36 teams, all in one big league, play 8 games rather than 6, and have to play a play-off game to get into the last 16 (if you don’t finish in top 8).

Does anyone like these changes?

I don’t like: 36 teams means an extra 8 bricky teams in the Europa League; there’s potentially 4 extra matches to play in total; a big league where 2/3s of teams go through to next stage is less tense and exciting than the old group format.

Hate it.

Back