• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

All I know is in 2010 a party came to power promising that if we buckled our belts, accepted we were in hard times - then the economy would recover and we’d be back on our feet. That they were the ones to provide the stability we’d need.

15 years later the people in this country - having buckled their belts and accepting cuts in every arena that makes our society - are worse off than they were before.

If you cut every single public service at once and don’t invest anything at all for a generation you’ll find on the other end a society in decay. With a more expensive repair bill to fix all the rot then there would have been to simply maintain what was. Britain is in decay. Every public institution is worse off than it was before. I challenge anyone who disagrees to find a single part of society that’s now better than it was in 2010.

Local councils are cut, doctor and hospitals waiting times are through the roof, there’s not enough police to patrol, there’s not enough community centres to facilitate any sense of community. Prices are more expensive than they have ever been. For food, water, electricity, transport, housing.

All that suffering could be (very, very debatably and only through a Scara ethics lens) permissible if the promise the government made was achieved. To create growth.

It did not. It has not. It will never.

Austerity doesn’t work. It’s a failed project. Austerity doesn’t create growth. It is anti-growth in every sense of the word.

You need investment to grow. A business doesn't grow without investment. A plant doesn't grow without water. You can't deduct from everything and expect a return.

But we can at least rejoice that in 9 months from now the government that's stagnated the economy, destroyed our international standing - all the while putting the most disadvantaged through needless harm - will be out the door.

NINE MORE MONTHS.

Then the biggest repair job our country has faced in 3/4 of a century can begin.

I agree with pretty much all of that. the Tories have pretty much Fücked this country.

Anyone that votes for them in the general election… really doesn’t care about this country.

All I know is in 2010 a party came to power promising that if we buckled our belts, accepted we were in hard times - then the economy would recover and we’d be back on our feet. That they were the ones to provide the stability we’d need.

15 years later the people in this country - having buckled their belts and accepting cuts in every arena that makes our society - are worse off than they were before.

If you cut every single public service at once and don’t invest anything at all for a generation you’ll find on the other end a society in decay. With a more expensive repair bill to fix all the rot then there would have been to simply maintain what was. Britain is in decay. Every public institution is worse off than it was before. I challenge anyone who disagrees to find a single part of society that’s now better than it was in 2010.

Local councils are cut, doctor and hospitals waiting times are through the roof, there’s not enough police to patrol, there’s not enough community centres to facilitate any sense of community. Prices are more expensive than they have ever been. For food, water, electricity, transport, housing.

All that suffering could be (very, very debatably and only through a Scara ethics lens) permissible if the promise the government made was achieved. To create growth.

Austerity doesn’t work. It’s a failed project. Austerity doesn’t create growth. It is anti-growth in every sense of the word.

You need investment to grow. A business doesn't grow without investment. A plant doesn't grow without water. You can't deduct from everything and expect a return.

But we can at least rejoice that in 9 months from now the government that's stagnated the economy, destroyed our international standing - all the while putting the most disadvantaged through needless harm - will be out the door.

NINE MORE MONTHS.

Then the biggest repair job our country has faced in 3/4 of a century can begin.

It does look and feel like the country wants a change and Labour will get in. I won’t celebrate till it happens tbh, the tories always seem to do badly in the polls but still trounce Labour when it matters in the election. I’ve heard people describe liberals as the accelerator and the conservatives as the brakes, falls in line with what you said, I think we need the accelerator right now.

It does look and feel like the country wants a change and Labour will get in. I won’t celebrate till it happens tbh, the tories always seem to do badly in the polls but still trounce Labour when it matters in the election. I’ve heard people describe liberals as the accelerator and the conservatives as the brakes, falls in line with what you said, I think we need the accelerator right now.
Honestly, if the Tories win the next election, after overseeing the last 14 years, it might be worth looking for an alternative country to move to. Not just because they'll still be in charge but the unsettling thought that a majority of people you'll be living amongst thought it was a good idea.

That was when the Tories had a reputation for competence. They were always known as being competent but evil (compared to Labour's well-intentioned but incompetent).
But now after Covid, Truss and the crumbling national infrastructure, they have nowhere to go. Incompetent and evil.

NINE MORE MONTHS.

It's actually worse than that... The maths were wrong in the first place.

NINE MORE MONTHS.

Great post - agree with it all…except to say that they’ll be gone within 7 months tops. Most of the ever-shrinking number of people who would vote for them won’t come out of their homes to vote in Winter. I’d bet on October for the GE.

Back