• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Where Top Level Footballers Come From

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
REVEALED: Barcelona No1 for producing players for clubs in Europe’s elite leagues

Barcelona have produced more footballers currently earning a living as first-team players across Europe’s elite ‘Big 5′ divisions than any other club in the world, Sportingintelligence can reveal.

The Spanish giants have been responsible for the development of 38 players at top-flight clubs in either Spain’s La Liga, England’s Premier League, Italy’s Serie A, Germany’s Bundesliga 1 or France’s Ligue 1.

The definition of ‘produced’ for these purposes means that a player spent three or more years within the development programme of the club in question specifically between the ages of 15 and 21, which are considered a footballer’s most important ‘formative’ years.

The vast majority of players can cite one club where they were developed. In the case of this study, the backgrounds of 2,286 players at the 98 ‘Big 5′ clubs have been considered. Of those, 2,170 were ‘products’ of one specific club and the rest (116) can be attributed to two clubs developing the player for three years each during the formative period.

The data for this study comes from the CIES Football Observatory in Switzerland. For more details about them, see the foot of this article.

In total, 805 different clubs around the world from all levels of football have ‘produced’ at least one of the 2,286 players each.

Of Barcelona’s 38 players, 36 of them had Barca as their ‘primary producer’, or in other words Barca were the first club where they spent three or more years between 15 and 21. They include Lionel Messi, Andres Iniesta and Carles Puyol among others.

Fourteen of the 38 are still with Barca while 24 play elsewhere, including Chelsea’s Oriol Remeu, Liverpool’s Pepe Reina and Arsenal’s Mikel Arteta.

Two of Barca’s 38 ‘products’, Isaac Cuenca and Cristian Tello, are counted as ‘secondary’ products having been previously been with CF Reus and Espanyol respectively. Barca have nonetheless also had them for the requisite period.

After Barcelona, the most prolific producers of talent for the ‘Big 5′ are Lyon of France (31 players), Real Madrid (29), Rennes (24) and Manchester United (24).

Those top five clubs (of 805, or 0.6 per cent) have produced six per cent of the players, or 10 times as many as is ‘typical’.

The top 42 clubs (of 805, or five per cent) have produced 30 per cent of the players.

The top 42 and the breakdown of the players they have produced is in this first graphic.

Leading-producers-of-Big-5-talent.jpg

Manchester United have produced more players than any other English club for the 98 clubs currently in the ‘Big 5′ divisions: 24 of them, nine of whom are still at United (including Evans, Giggs, Cleverley, Scholes and Welbeck) and 15 of whom playing elsewhere, from Phil Neville at Everton to Kieran Richardon at Fulham, Ron-Robert Zieler at Hannover 96, Paul Pogba at Juventus and Ryan Shawcross at Stoke City.

Four of United’s 24 products are ‘secondary’ products, with United playing a key role in developing them after another club had had them for an earlier chunk of the 15-21 formative years. These four are the Da Silva brothers, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo.

The second graphic isolates only the top English teams in terms of producing players currently in the ‘Big 5′.

United are followed by Arsenal (20), Aston Villa (15) and Tottenham (15) then West Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine (13 each) and Emirates Marketing Project, Southampton and Chelsea (all 12).

Notable in this graphic is how some key lower-league clubs have punched well above their weight to produce players for elite clubs. Luton Town of the Conference produced players now at Southampton, West Ham, Wigan and Norwich, for example, while Crewe have produced players now earning their corn at Manchester United, Aston Villa, Sunderland and West Brom.

Leading-Eng-producers-for-Big-51.jpg

It should be stressed: these figures only relate to current first-team players in the ‘Big 5′ divisions in Europe; players who were at the ‘producing’ clubs for at least 3 years between 15 and 21, and have played league football for one of the current 98 clubs this season.

Sportingintelligence has a separate research project underway to assess which clubs have produced the most professionals within the English game (all four main divisions), and is exploring ways to broaden this to discover which clubs globally produce the most players for the professional industry as a whole. This may take some time!

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/12/13/revealed-barcelona-no1-for-producing-players-for-clubs-in-europes-elite-leagues-131201/

Walcott will be listed as a 'primary product' for Southampton and 'secondary' for Arsenal. As mentioned in the text: Rooney is a 'secondary product' for United.

A couple of freinds of mine who are Luton fans, were saying that they have the best academy about. Although not the best for a club in the Conference and without the finances to be ranked =18 isn't too bad

Who are the eight still at our club?

Livermore, Townsend and Caulker should be the three true home-grown players that are still with the club.

I think Walker, Bale, Lennon, Huddlestone and Naughton etc. have to be counted for us to have 13+2 and 8 (currently still with the club).

Bale, Lennon and Rose were signed at 17/18, Hudd the year he turned 19 and Walker at 19.

Caulker, Livermore, Townsend, Carroll, Mason, Kane, Smith could all be among the primary ones.

Walcott will be listed as a 'primary product' for Southampton and 'secondary' for Arsenal. As mentioned in the text: Rooney is a 'secondary product' for United.

Not sure about Walcott. He transferred to Arsenal when quite young (still 16?), before he had three years between 15 and 21, so he probably counts as Arsenal.

I suppose no criteria are perfect and these are reasonable, but it means Barcelona get no credit for Fabregas.

I make 11 players still with Spurs so I've found 3 extra unless someone can pinpoint a mistake I've made? Naughton doesn't count as he's 24 and we bought him in 2009. Mason doesn't count as he's not made his Premier League debut.

Looking for 3 players at other clubs now.

Still at club

2 Secondary
Kyle Walker: 16 to 18 with Sheffield United and 19 to 21 with Spurs
Tom Huddlestone: 16 to 18 with Derby and 19 to 21 with Spurs

9 Primary
Gareth Bale: Only 2 years with Southampton (16 to 17), 18 to 21 with Spurs.
Aaron Lennon: Only 2 years with Leeds - (16 to 17), 18 to 21 with Spurs
Stephen Caulker: 16 to 20
Jake Livermore: 17 to 21
Danny Rose: Only 1 year with Leeds (16), 17 to 21 with Spurs
Andros Townsend: 16 to 21
Harry Kane: 16 to 19
Cameron Lancaster: 17 to 20
Adam Smith: 16 to 21

7 now with other clubs
Taraabt (QPR): 18 to 21 with Spurs
Stephen Kelly (Fulham): 17 to 21 with Spurs
Luke Young (QPR): 18 to 21 with Spurs
Peter Crouch (Stoke): 16 to 19 with Spurs
+ 3 missing

Last edited:
Mark Gower (Swansea) is one. Reto Ziegler is on loan from Juventus to Lokomotiv Moscow.

Etherington, Davies, Dos Santos, O'Hara all signed at 19.

We can also add:
Tommy Forecast (Southampton) - 16 to 21
Lee Barnard (Southampton) - 18 to 21

Simon Davies was 21.

Etherington (Stoke) - 19 to 21 would be secondary with Peterborough.
Dos Santos (Mallorca) - 19 to 21 would be secondary with Barcelona.
Ziegler (Juventus) - 18 to 20 would be one yes.

O'Hara plays for Wolves who are not in one of the big 5 leagues anymore.

Basically someone has to go through the actual number of years and work it out correctly and determine whether loans in-between count towards the parent club development.

Aaron Lennon: Only 2 years with Leeds - (16 to 17), 18 to 21 with Spurs

Lennon joined Leeds at 14 (according to wikipedia) so would have the 15-17 period at Leeds. I think that should make him Leeds primary by the criteria.

Lennon joined Leeds at 14 (according to wikipedia) so would have the 15-17 period at Leeds. I think that should make him Leeds primary by the criteria.

Doh, I've been working it out from 16 to 21 not 15 to 21.

Seems to me it's all wrong anyway unless I'm missing something.

Apart from 15 instead of 16, you seemed to be doing what they say they did. Counting from 15 probably introduces more errors.

Another thing I wondered was when exactly it was done. The description says it was done this season and only considered players who have actually played this season. So the date could be important.

Doh, somehow I thought Walker and Naughton are of the same age...and forgot about Rose.

My guess is that players like Adam Smith, Cameron Lancaster or even Harry Kane (all of them just 1 premier league appearance) are not premier league first team quality just yet, and hence didn't count for the report purpose.

Anyway, zin's analysis just shows that we are really not that good at producing top class talents on our own. But at least, we are not too bad at developing bought young talents.

Back