• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Just need to vent...

AuroRaman

Chris Armstrong
I think I'm just writing this because I need to put it into words and let off steam, rather than requesting any advice (although anyone that has been in this situation will be willingly listened to!)

Anyway, as some of you may already be aware, my missus and I moved to New Zealand from London a couple of years ago. It's one of, if not the best decision I've ever made in my life. The way of life here is fantastic, we are no more than 20 minutes away from a beach/rainforest/area of natural wonder and a couple of hours away from skiing/snowboarding.

We arrived on a working holiday visa, which was valid for twelve months and has the option to extend for 23 months. We've extended and the current visa runs out in October. So we've decided to apply for full residency here, which to be honest, we naively thought would be a foregone conclusion to be accepted.

It turns out, being a successful broadcast and events cameraman, as well as a minorly successful musician on the live scene (with what seemed like a decent shot of actually making it as a full-time label recording artist judging by feedback) and my partner being a television and film visual effects producer with Hollywood credits, 'doesn't meet the criteria' for automatic selection from the residency application pool.

So even though we both speak perfect English, have decent qualifications and professions and have built a life out here whilst paying taxes etc etc and contributing to NZ, it looks like we will be kicked out of the country come October.

Without a full-time job offer (in our professions, there is no such thing as 'full-time' work, it is all contracted) in a skills-shortage area (media profession comes under a fledgling industry. Having watched NZ telly, I can tell you there is a massive fudging skills shortage in that area) it doesn't look like we will get picked out of the pool.

I'm feeling quite bitter about all this, mainly because we have built a perfect little life out here. I have temped at Auckland Council for a while inbetween projects and I can tell you, I work harder than 95% of the Kiwi workforce there. My missus worked on the Rugby World Cup opening ceremony and has worked for some of the top VFX companies out here. Also, we are both British citizens which is supposed to be a 'bonus'.

I mean, what fudging more does Immigration want?? We are PERFECT candidates for Residency! And to top it off (I feel I should mention that I am Indian right now), I have noticed that a lot of Asians and Indians are getting residency status (of whom I've talked to anyway) even though they cannot speak much English and their biggest skill to offer NZ is how quickly they can toss a McDonalds hamburger. I promise I'm not getting all Nick Griffin on you, but when the criteria for Residency is to speak English as a first language and offer up a skilled profession of value to NZ, surely we should be getting a look in before these guys?

Apologies for the long post, I don't even mind if this thread dies without reply, just need to vent.... ](*,)

AuroRaman said:
I feel I should mention that I am Indian right now

What were you before? :D

That's tough mate. I guess as a contractor you are always going to be seen as a "transient" type. Have you not developed any contacts that could offer you sponsorship?

A friend of a friend managed to get permanent residency when he started working for Peter Jackson's aircraft restoration company.

Any chance you can use your Aussie working Visa to stay close to NZ and then work on finding a sponsor?

Sorry to hear about the situation you are in. don't New Zealand operate on a points system. From what I know, money in your account is more valuable than skills. They want investment dollars. I think paying taxes and working hard should be rewarded in some way.

Can't you get a permanent position for a year in an office to meet the criteria, then switch back to filming etc?

What were you before? :D
That's tough mate. I guess as a contractor you are always going to be seen as a "transient" type. Have you not developed any contacts that could offer you sponsorship?

A friend of a friend managed to get permanent residency when he started working for Peter Jackson's aircraft restoration company.

Any chance you can use your Aussie working Visa to stay close to NZ and then work on finding a sponsor?

:lol:

Cheers for the reply guys. I wouldn't be able to get an office job as to qualify for a visa you need to be in an area of skills shortage. If not, you need to be on a high wage which isn't possible unless you are in a job of skills shortage!

And yes, we are going to Aus for at least a year whilst still applying for work in NZ, good call. Failing anything else, the wages in Aus are bloody marvellous at the moment.

There's a part of me that rather arrogantly assumed my British passport would mean a 'free pass', as it were. I still want to march into Immigration, slap my passport on the counter and say, 'Ma'am would be very unimpressed by the lack of movement with one of her subjects' application. fudging sort it!'

Roy, this has actually made me appreciate how simple it has been in the past to obtain working/residency visas for the UK. It's definitely toughened up now (my Mum is an interpreter and does a lot of work for the Home Office). Anyway, don't want to open up a whole different can of worms there!

Sorry to hear about the situation you are in. don't New Zealand operate on a points system. From what I know, money in your account is more valuable than skills. They want investment dollars. I think paying taxes and working hard should be rewarded in some way.

Yes mate, it's a point system. We have enough points to be in the pool (115 with my partner as the primary applicant) but you need 140 to be automatically picked out. It's very unlikely we would be picked out within the 6 month time period.

With the initial visa process we just had to show we had money for at least 6 months sustainability without work and enough for a flight home. However, it doesn't really factor into it unless you are applying for a Business Visa, where you have to produce a plan etc, we just don't have the time/finances or the clientele from freelancing at this time to be eligible for that. However, it is something to look at for a future prospective application.

However, if I can score a record/publishing deal before then I can get a talent visa \o/ I just don't think that will happen in two months. Will just have to knock out some Silverchair covers in Aus to get a bit of early interest there!

On a positive note, the missus did a big CV drive last night and has had a lot of replies asking to meet up and discuss 'future project'. Fingers crossed for that. I told her she has my permission to flirt like a lap dancer 8-[

How bout you and the missus buy a gun and occupy the lot of them? Then grab the job opening for dictator.

ripe-and-easy-kiwi-500x373.jpg

Back