• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

You're probably right, but I really want to have Maddison snap into place and feel like it can happen anytime. He was so great at the start of the season. With Lo Celso, I have this (probably incorrect) feeling that we have seen the best of him. He's a good player, but he has no ace up his sleeve, so to speak. Maddison's ceiling is much higher. My personal opinion of course. But I totally agree that we should be better at benching out of form players.
Maddison's ceiling is higher than Lo Celso? That is a joke. You are overrating Maddison. He is currently not even better than Gallagher.

Maddison's ceiling is higher than Lo Celso? That is a joke. You are overrating Maddison. He is currently not even better than Gallagher.
I mean I think he has more ceiling than Gallagher 🤣 but you're right, Maddison is a good player and can be a very good player but his ceiling isn't exactly in the stratosphere. The problem with the comparison is I think GLC is genuinely a deeper set player so the direct comparison is slightly unfair but at their best they are very comparable, very.

The form of Maddison since his return just confirms for me what I've always said. We should never be relying on the qualities and form of one singular playmaker (although I don't really think Maddison qualifies as one tbh), we need at the minimum a second option. I'd say someone better than Maddison but I'll accept that might be first difficult to find and secondly procure so at the least it needs to be someone who is  genuine competition to him for the role he plays.

I also again like a broken record think we need far better and creative players on the wing. I know I'm a broken record but these guys we have now just aren't going to cut it, let's just be honest with ourselves.

For all the Kulu bashing recently (some deserved) he's offering more centrally. For one, he always looks to carry the ball forward which changes the dynamic drastically. Maddison seems to have caught Scott Parker syndrome.

Worse thing for me is when you watch our build up he's frequently 30 yards away behind players. It's not like Partey done a job on him, in the ground you could see Maddison not making any attempt to get on the ball in difficult areas. When he does get on the ball it's in areas that the other two midfielders should be having it, then he's the next pass.

It also brings into focus the role of the full backs again. Having them play as auxillary playmakers when they don't really create now means you got three players in a 5 man front line not doing anything. Add to that a CF who can't hold up the ball etc etc

Maybe, but I've never seen signs of Lo Celso doing anything like what Maddison did at the start of the season, picking out passes, directing play, carrying the ball, even finishing. He was absolutely brilliant. Right now he's admittedly pretty cack, but hopefully that can change.

I know I'm a broken record but these guys we have now just aren't going to cut it, let's just be honest with ourselves.
Being in the mix for CL participation with a team quite some distance behind (again, let's be honest) what Poch could field at his best, is not bad. It's not bad at all. Not only was that team much better player for player, but it was tuned and had multiple seasons playing together. That team also had players with defined roles and tasks, where we had one of the best strikers on the planet being fed by one of the best playmakers on the planet (at that time). Still we couldn't win anything, never mind the league. So I won't expect miracles from our current setup. All I ask is that they can do the basics right.

I don't think he is off form. I think this is the Madisson that was part of the squad that relegated Leicester. He needs to be benched for a while. However it is his first season. Let's hope he improves.

My son in law is a Norwich season ticket holder and said he was the same during his spell there, some great games and then nothing is some games. I must admit when i heard we had signed him i was dubious after seeing him do the same at Leicester as well. His start here was great and i hoped he had developed his game to be more consistant, now i am not saying he will continue with his up and down performances but it is worrying.

My son in law is a Norwich season ticket holder and said he was the same during his spell there, some great games and then nothing is some games. I must admit when i heard we had signed him i was dubious after seeing him do the same at Leicester as well. His start here was great and i hoped he had developed his game to be more consistant, now i am not saying he will continue with his up and down performances but it is worrying.
Tbh I see him as another hyped English player.
Grealish, maguire, Hart, sterling, bowen, Watkins etc, when they are good they're good and grab headlines, when they are pants they are ignored, and they are pants more often than they are good.
IMV of course.

Tbh I see him as another hyped English player.
Grealish, maguire, Hart, sterling, bowen, Watkins etc, when they are good they're good and grab headlines, when they are pants they are ignored, and they are pants more often than they are good.
IMV of course.

That is a good point and i do agree.

Reactions: jrh

almost exactly the same, but my son doesn't have a Norwich season ticket

You've just captured my thoughts (virtually) exactly. I did what all supporters do when we signed him and indulged in the hope/hypocricy metric. Here's hoping he shows us both he can be consistent!

Wouldn’t be shocked if he was playing with an injury still, what with the Euros this summer and wanting to get into the England team.

Something doesn’t seem right, that or he’s just bang out of form and needs a big reset.

Back