• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Combined Tottenham team of the last 20 years

So many great players! Some tough decisions to make, like whether Verts and Toby as a partnership are better than King +1. Or just play all three of them with Ledley striding into midfield from the centre. Or maybe push Verts out to LB, as he played for Belgium...

Lloris
Walker -- Toby -- King -- Verts
Eriksen -- Modric -- Dembele -- Bale
Berbatov -- Kane

Subs: Vicario, Rose, Sandro, Carrick, Rafa VdV, Lennon, Son

Just imagine Berbatov and Kane as a partnership.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vicario, Udogie and our current VdV were shouts for our Best XI by the end of this season. I think they really are that good.

I think I prefer Porro to Walker. Walker had pace but isn’t as skilful or attacking. And while Dembele was unique (and would make my bench) I’d have Bentancur over him every game of the season.

Vicario
Porro Romero King Bale
Bentancur Modric
Kulu VDV Son
Kane
Subs: Carrick, Kanoute, Sherringham, Alderweireld, Lennon, Lloris, Walker.

Edit: Vertonghen could take kanoute or Sherringhams place on the bench, but couldn’t decide which! And Dembele should probably replace Carrick, only because he offers something very different.

Last edited:
Lloris
Walker Toby Verts Rose
Modric Dembele
Bale Eriksen Son
Kane
I expect more than a couple of the current team to work their way in soon

Reactions: jrh
Lloris
Corluka King Verts Benny
Modric Dembele
Lennon Eriksen Bale
Kane

Subs: Gomes Toby Walker Rose Palacios VDV Son Berbatov Kanoute

brick so many good players still left out.

Last edited:
Vicario - maybe this is impulsive but I think he’s been so impressive so far and has time to get even better. Lloris at his very best was impressive and that he’s captained a World Cup winning side, then returned to the next Final, it’s incredible to think Vicario could ultimately be better but that’s how I’m thinking right now.

Pedro Porro - Walker with us wasn’t the final product. He was very good but made fouls in poor areas but he had so much potential and that’s what City signed him for and turned the potential into actual. Pedro Porro has a very good all round game and so I would choose him.

King - not sure much has to be said here. One of the favourite players I imagine of most of us on here.

Vertonghen - in the future Van de Ven might replace Vertonghen but not yet. I loved how good Vertonghen was on the ball, how he appeared so composed. He led the way defensively and in 2017/8 helped us to a decent season alongside a not so great Sanchez. I think Vertonghen was excellent that season and so for me gets the place. His decline, most likely contributed to by a concussion injury, meant he had an early exit but he remains one of my favourites over the past ten years.

Udogie - I’m adding him for his future potential which is significant. Arguably you could ask why am I giving him allowance for potential whilst dismissing Walker on similar grounds. That would be a fair point to raise. I think Rose for me was a decent left back but nothing significant. A hero for his goal against Arsenal, but Udogie just has that something else. He will go right to the top. And this is my team to pick so if you don’t like it, who cares?!

Dembele - Up there with King as one of my favourites. His strength and ability to hold possession is unrivalled from anyone from us bar Modric. He was such a difference maker and great to watch play so he goes straight in to the side. He didn’t have end product which is the one criticism but that he was rated so highly but both players and managers that he played alongside us a strong reflection of just how good he was.

Modric - not sure much needs to be said. Incredible player and good luck to any opponent trying to get the ball from a midfield of Dembele and Modric.

Maddison - this could have been Eriksen, Dele, Berbatov, or Van de Vaart but in the end I chose the player that looks like being the best play maker that we have had for many years. Had he stayed fit I suspect that we would now be top of the table.

Bale - Towards the end of his time with us he was literally winning matches for us on his own. We’d give him the ball and he’d score a goal of the month contender almost every match. He is one of those that at his best you just wish we had had the quality in the team to support him.

Son - like Bale he’s been capable of scoring from anywhere plus his link up with Kane was unrivalled. He’s had one poor season with us since his second season and even then he hit double figures so he’ll likely be in everyone’s team and rightly so.

Kane - who else could it be but our all time top goal scorer?!

Most likely there’s some present moment bias in here but really I think we have the makings of the first Spurs team to win a major trophy in over 15 years.

In future the rest of the current side may well stake their claim to a place in the side. History is theirs to be made.

The manager would be Postecoglou. Yes very early on but no one else was consistently good enough to deserve a place. The only winner was Juande Ramos and his 2 points from 8 matches to start 2008/9 season was completely unacceptable. Everyone else had their moments and yes Pochettino could have been a contender but he wasn’t a winner and he fudged off to Chelsea too so whilst still a manager I appreciate he isn’t the one.

Lloris
Walker Toby Verts Rose
Modric Dembele
Bale Eriksen Son
Kane
I expect more than a couple of the current team to work their way in soon

Yes, hopefully, Udogie will make the grade. Over the decades we've had very few really good full-backs (quite a few decent ones - Cyril, Danny Thomas, Christian Ziege, Stephen Carr, Chris Hughton) but Udogie could be very special.

Apart from picking Ledley over Toby (and maybe keeping Toby and moving Verts over to LB), I agree with your best XI.

Lloris
Walker - Romero - Verts - Bale
Modric - Dembele
Eriksen - VDV - Son
Kane

Notable mentions -> Berbatov, Dele, and of course a few player in the current side like Vicario & Maddison

Back