• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Climate Change

El Nino’s are a pretty regular occurrence though, it’s not like it’s a one off. Sorry if I’ve misunderstood your point?

El Niño makes things warmer, but obviously it doesn’t account for all the temperature rises. Point was we’re told there has been 0.5 degree increase in global temperature, but it feels like more. El Niño might be the extra.

Remember the 1.1 degree is for the planet as a whole. It is less around the equator but more the further north or south you go. The poles it's more than a 2 degree change already.

All I can hear from my bed is the rumble of the m25 and planes and helicopters overhead.

Our behaviours won’t change to the climate will.

This is the best summary I have seen of where we are at from a climate perspective in a while. Read it and weep.

We always underestimate things. Especially when they are exponential.

We might be underestimating the exponential growth of clean energy aswell. China are now kicking into gear. The thinking of how much energy storage that may be required may well be over estimated.

But net zero is a con. Still leaves trillions of tons of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that will keep on heating. Companies and politicians are also on a con. We'll plant trees to offset. But then don't care for them and the majority of saplings die.

We'll see what happens.

We always underestimate things. Especially when they are exponential.

We might be underestimating the exponential growth of clean energy aswell. China are now kicking into gear. The thinking of how much energy storage that may be required may well be over estimated.

But net zero is a con. Still leaves trillions of tons of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that will keep on heating. Companies and politicians are also on a con. We'll plant trees to offset. But then don't care for them and the majority of saplings die.

We'll see what happens.
Renewable energy and storage are ramping up at speed but the numbers show that rather than replacing fossil fuel usage it is just supplementing it. A thing called the Jevons paradox I believe. I think we are still 90% dependent on fossil fiuels for energy today. And of course, there are 8 other boundaries we are in the process of fudging up too. The collapse has already started for those watching closely and ironically it may be the only thing that will save us (as a species that is, civilisation is already done for). Grow some food folks!

Renewable energy and storage are ramping up at speed but the numbers show that rather than replacing fossil fuel usage it is just supplementing it. A thing called the Jevons paradox I believe. I think we are still 90% dependent on fossil fiuels for energy today. And of course, there are 8 other boundaries we are in the process of fudging up too. The collapse has already started for those watching closely and ironically it may be the only thing that will save us (as a species that is, civilisation is already done for). Grow some food folks!

There's tipping points. Especially with economies of scale. Fossil fuels are growing due to the growth of 3rd world countries. Once the full usage of renewables (energy storage the main one) and evs becomes more economically viable then they will start taking over quite quickly. There will be a long tail off for fossil fuels though.

Look at the price of lithium. Went sky high. So mining companies invested a lot to extract it. It's price has dropped 80% now as more sources come on line. This has the knock on effect of making batteries cheaper, evs, storage...

There's tipping points. Especially with economies of scale. Fossil fuels are growing due to the growth of 3rd world countries. Once the full usage of renewables (energy storage the main one) and evs becomes more economically viable then they will start taking over quite quickly. There will be a long tail off for fossil fuels though.

Look at the price of lithium. Went sky high. So mining companies invested a lot to extract it. It's price has dropped 80% now as more sources come on line. This has the knock on effect of making batteries cheaper, evs, storage...
The green tech revolution coupled with the surge in renewable energy is amazing to see and it is incredibly important. But those are not the tipping points we should be concerned about at this point in time IMO. 9 of the 16 biophysical systems that regulate the planet's climate are showing signs of instability. All of these systems are connected and when one falls like a domino it will cause the next to fall etc. When this happens no amount of clever engineering will save us. Depending on who you read, and I read everyone significant, this is already happening or is about to.
You seem very well informed on this but for others the notion that we are about to cause our own extinction is a mental leap that they cannot make. I think we are already fudged and certainly my kid's generation is properly fudged. Grim, eh? Anyway I am off to work on my bunker.

Back