• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Charity adverts

Roy1983

Edward Sheringham
We see them all the time and since my little boy was born in September they do make me sadder than they ever did before. I know a few on here donate but how can you really be sure your money is going where they say I mean REALLY? The starving kids in Africa especially - id donate if I really thought the money was going to them.

Actually I hate charity adverts. They are cynically designed to guilt/blackmail money out of people.

No different to Chuggers trying to acost people in the street.

It's a very tricky one indeed. Each charity here I believe has to show what percentage of the money raised goes on what. It will be quite an eye opener for some if you have a look. The Charity Sector is massively competitive but a very good business to be in. You can feel good about yourself by raising funds for the needy and also take home a very nice Directors salary in the process. The actual monetary benefit from the ?ú10 you give that gets to little Billy in Africa may shock you. I give largely blindly and often emotionally (as do we all..). That is what drives the industry.

Impressed today by MIND who mailed my missus to thank her for her clothing donations. They had raised ?ú36. What surprised me was the PS. We are obliged by alw to inform you of the amount we have raised from your items and yada yada if you wish to have this money back you should contact us.

WTF ?? What sort of a nonsense law is that ?? The charities have to offer you the proceeds of their hard work in selling your items in a charity store ?? EH ??

Audits are undertaken to provide assurance that YOUR money is going towards the causes which YOU wanted it to go to. For example, you donated to Oxfam you stipulated you wanted it to go to country X for cause Y - an audit is undertaken to ensure just that. Granted its a sample but yeah it gives you assurance that way.

I dot work on charities but have done charity audits in the past.

Id rather volunteer for a day or give an old dear the money for her weekly shop or electricity bill to be honest. Cos then I'd know my money was going to use first hand.

All charities are not for profit?

You'd have to be pretty cynical to thing they're ineffcient, that why the government want to use the charity sector to deliver care etc, they do it far better, for less money, than the state sector.

My concern arose when a number of charities were caught out when banks collapsed. Some had many millions in these savings accounts yet they were still actively fundraising. :mickey:

We need something like the US Charity Navigator here so there is a clear system of measurement. It is sad to think that there are some that offer 100%, some 90% and some that barely manage 2%. Many pay higher salaries than they provide aid. DYOR.

My concern arose when a number of charities were caught out when banks collapsed. Some had many millions in these savings accounts yet they were still actively fundraising. :mickey:

We need something like the US Charity Navigator here so there is a clear system of measurement. It is sad to think that there are some that offer 100%, some 90% and some that barely manage 2%. Many pay higher salaries than they provide aid. DYOR.

I still can not get over chichester council having 2m in the bank and putting it in savings accounts in iceland(the country not the supermarket)

I donate to 2 charities lifeboat association and prostate cancer, thinking of fund raising for the lifeboat association in the future as i have a few friends down our local one.

Thought of donating to dementia research but thought it would be a bit selfish to do that just because my father has gone down with it. Do not watch much t.v. so i am not sure about the adverts.

I still can not get over chichester council having 2m in the bank and putting it in savings accounts in iceland(the country not the supermarket)
I donate to 2 charities lifeboat association and prostate cancer, thinking of fund raising for the lifeboat association in the future as i have a few friends down our local one.

Thought of donating to dementia research but thought it would be a bit selfish to do that just because my father has gone down with it. Do not watch much t.v. so i am not sure about the adverts.

they may as well have frozen it \o/

they may as well have frozen it \o/

:ross:

On a serious not they could actually invest in the town or give local businesses a council tax freeze and help to stimulate the economy or do something for the community and create new parks or sports facilities, i know the local players group(theatre company) are looking for money for a new sound system for the plays they put on. But no they put money into a country that then goes tits up. tossers.

You guys do realise that charities invest money? The same as hospitals (some) and other larger medical Organisations? A number of public sector Organisations invested in Kaupthing and the Icelandic banks (im not sure the reasoning behind why Icelandic banks were attractive).

These Organisations etc are regulated heavily in what they can invest in and what they cant for example they cannot invest in tobacco related products. They see investment as an opportunity to further enhance the funds coming in rather than letting it sit in an extremely low savings account. BUT like I say they are heavily regulated and not much room for maneuvere

Look in the guardian in the jobs section,the highest salaries are for charity organisations,check where their head office is situated,mostly in the expensive part of london,check out the headquarters of the RSPCA and how much that cost to build,salavation army,the amount of land they owe.

The percentage of what the people give and where it goes ain't very high............its a gravy train for retired civil servants,doctors etc..........

Very nice to hear that with the aid of corporate sponsors every ?ú1 that is raised by the public goes directly to projects on the ground. After discussing this and doing some minor fundraising I felt I had to ask the question.

Although we reached our meagre target of ?ú150 with a few donations still to come. I have been coerced under the influence of alcohol to offer to run it in a dress if we reach ?ú250. Makeup too if we hit ?ú300.

https://my.sportrelief.com/sponsor/sixmilesofmoaning

John Bishop had it easy.

Very nice to hear that with the aid of corporate sponsors every ?ú1 that is raised by the public goes directly to projects on the ground. After discussing this and doing some minor fundraising I felt I had to ask the question.

Although we reached our meagre target of ?ú150 with a few donations still to come. I have been coerced under the influence of alcohol to offer to run it in a dress if we reach ?ú250. Makeup too if we hit ?ú300.

https://my.sportrelief.com/sponsor/sixmilesofmoaning

John Bishop had it easy.

I remember you doing a run once before clarky old son, think you should up it to at least 26 miles next time.;)

If the body allows at some stage I shall. The Missus requested joining me for the odd trot and I thought it would be good for her. She had never run before so 10km is quite a journey for her. She has reached 8km down at E'bourne with the promise of beer and food afterwards but after 10 days being poorly she spat the dummy several times on our final training runs.

Alas my body is falling to bits so this won't be all that pleasant for me. Would have loved to go on to do a marathon but it is out of the question at the moment. Booking in for ankle, knee, hip and shoulder scans next week :)

Back