• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Are defences getting worse or attacks getting better/

thfcsteff

Terry Dyson
Looking at the scores thus far from the weekend, we have another bunch of big-ticket score lines; 6 at chelski, 9 at cardiff, 5 at cited...what do people think? Are defences getting worse? Is the disparity between money and (relatively) unmonied the reason?

I think we're finally seeing tyne net results of a game which has virtually outlawed tackling of any nature, and wiped out the slide-tackle. Not saying whether it's right or wrong, but I think that if we consider the fact the game was played a certain way for well over a century, it's fair to say it will take maybe a decade for football to adjust to this, and that as such, we are halfway through the period where defenders are adjusting to the 'new art' of defending i.e. speed is only worth it if you can read the game, and so on...

Thoughts?

Not too long ago the game was becoming more and more defensive, and rather boring, with lesser teams adopting the 4-5-1 formation. Good to see a new generation of coaches and players with the ability to break them down.

i think you've got it spot on. the rules are getting enforced more and more. the day's of defenders getting "their one" are long gone now. you rarely ever see defenders getting away with two footed tackles and man-handling attackers now. the changes in the manner through which the rules are being enforced now from decades ago is endless. this will only continue. and you will see a day when there is absolutely no shirt pulling in corners etc. and thus, the number of goals scored will only increase.

could you expand on what you mean by "speed is only worth it if you can read the game, and so on...".
I'm not sure that i've fully understood what you mean by that.

i think you've got it spot on. the rules are getting enforced more and more. the day's of defenders getting "their one" are long gone now. you rarely ever see defenders getting away with two footed tackles and man-handling attackers now. the changes in the manner through which the rules are being enforced now from decades ago is endless. this will only continue. and you will see a day when there is absolutely no shirt pulling in corners etc. and thus, the number of goals scored will only increase.

could you expand on what you mean by "speed is only worth it if you can read the game, and so on...".
I'm not sure that i've fully understood what you mean by that.

Just that it's one thing to have pace, but pace alone is not enough against these better strikers/attacking players, as you need to be able to read the game and avoid having to use speed to bail you out/put you in a spot where you have to go to ground, etc...

Just that it's one thing to have pace, but pace alone is not enough against these better strikers/attacking players, as you need to be able to read the game and avoid having to use speed to bail you out/put you in a spot where you have to go to ground, etc...

I think that might be the next step. The classic Allardyce setup isn't good enough. You need players that can actually play. Clubs need to give the more technical ones a chance instead of being obsessed with physicality. Once you have smarter, more mobile defenders you can start developing the tactical side.

Looking at the scores thus far from the weekend, we have another bunch of big-ticket score lines; 6 at chelski, 9 at cardiff, 5 at cited...what do people think? Are defences getting worse? Is the disparity between money and (relatively) unmonied the reason?

I think we're finally seeing tyne net results of a game which has virtually outlawed tackling of any nature, and wiped out the slide-tackle. Not saying whether it's right or wrong, but I think that if we consider the fact the game was played a certain way for well over a century, it's fair to say it will take maybe a decade for football to adjust to this, and that as such, we are halfway through the period where defenders are adjusting to the 'new art' of defending i.e. speed is only worth it if you can read the game, and so on...

Thoughts?

To be honest the quality gap (money) has never been bigger

- Some of the teams like City, Cheat$ki, Barca, Real, PSG are getting closer and closer to almost "all star" type teams
- I don't agree with the general premise that it's due to the tackling allowed/not allowed, does anyone spank City/Cheat$ki?

In the past Stoke/Bolton teams could use excessive physicality to counter, but better players and tactics have negated that (maybe that part of the tackling issue shows up), so much harder for teams to match the top teams.

The average number of Premier League goals scored per game this season is 2.72, which is down on the previous four seasons...

A6607_zps2086df22.jpg

...this would tend to suggest that defences are getting better, not worse.

Premier League Goal Records & Statistics from 1992-93 to 2013-14

The ****e teams score less against each other, but take bigger beatings against the top sides.

Back