• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

2034 World Cup: Saudi Arabia

Chrissivad

Eidur Gudjohnsen
Saudi Arabia is set to host the men's 2034 World Cup after Australia decided against bidding to stage the tournament.

Football Australia confirmed its decision only hours before Fifa's deadline for declarations of interest on Tuesday.

Saudi Arabia is the only other nation to bid.

"We have reached the conclusion not to do so for the 2034 competition," read a statement from Football Australia.

The 2026 World Cup will take place in the US, Mexico and Canada.

Morocco, Portugal and Spain will host the 2030 tournament, with matches also in Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67271423

I wonder how big a bag their conclusion was...

I'm not sure it will happen. If oil is phased out at the rate it's predicted this next decade, Saudi will be bankrupt and probably descended into civil war long before then

Most predictable decision this year, but still ridiculous. It's got fudge all to do with football. FIFA would award the WC to The Vatican state if they paid enough.

Mixed feelings on this. The 2022 World Cup was arguably the most entertaining and enjoyable World Cup ever after a lack of enthusiasm in the run up to the tournament. But there’s no getting away from the human rights abuses that still exist in Saudi Arabia and it’s hard to swallow that they are being rewarded by FIFA giving them the most prestigious sporting event in the world.

It's officially known as the FIFA World Cup Trophy. ;)
Although I thought there were dodgy goings on wrt to favouring Argentina and France during the tournament, I actually wasn’t referring to the Jules Rimet (which probably isn’t still gleaming) or the World Cup. I was referring to the utterly pointless Ballon D’Or, which will presumably continue to be awarded to old Lionel every year even after his retirement.

Back