• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

06/06/1944 - D-Day 70th Anniversary

markysimmo

Johnny nice-tits
BBC1 have basically a whole day of programmes on this tomorrow, I've just Sky + them to watch

Never forget...

_75328394_022554919-1.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27700479

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27712513

My grandad took part in the landings, never told any of us about his experiences unfortunately, I took him to watch Saving Private Ryan when it came out and it visibly moved him, he is my hero

How on earth did they keep it Secret?!

Imagine the intensity between now and August skirmishing throughout France, hundreds of thousands of hard arsed ****ed off fellas all working together.

The further away we get in time the more incredible these things become.

And it was only 25 years since the previous generation got stuck in France and millions died.

An unbelievable generation of warriors.

The longest day ...
What an amazing feat of man power and engineering,stealth ,determination..Truly brave men and we should always be thankful to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Will be a sad day when the last surviving person from the second world war dies. Will be like history has become more historic. Not sure if I made sense there but I know what I mean.

Great guys and what they went through for us, even if a lot of the freedoms they won have now been taken away again, I have total respect for what they did.

Will be a sad day when the last surviving person from the second world war dies. Will be like history has become more historic. Not sure if I made sense there but I know what I mean.

I get what you mean. From recent history to written history. The sheer sacrifice of human life to make that landing would never be tolerated today. That they had to do it was testament to their courage and will. I will always look on with thanks and amazement at what those soldiers went through.

I get what you mean. From recent history to written history. The sheer sacrifice of human life to make that landing would never be tolerated today. That they had to do it was testament to their courage and will. I will always look on with thanks and amazement at what those soldiers went through.

100% agree

Great thread, I'm not English, I was born here and feel i am/feel British. I still don't think that the British and the veterans in general get the respect they deserve for the sacrifices they made. With all the uneccessary wars we have today and in the past, this was very neccerary... A clear a evil as you are likely to see, a monstorous evil that needed the good to fight against it, As a Turkish Cypriot I'm proud that one of my grand fathers fought for Britain and the good of humanity in this war.

For him and all the other hero's that either fell or died later may they rest in peace.... And thank you.

Last edited:
Great thread, I'm not English, I was born here and feel i am/feel British. I still don't think that the British and the veterans in generals get the respect they deserve for the sacrifices made. With all the uneccessary wars we have today and in the past this was very neccerary... A clear a evil as you are likely to see, a monstorous evil that needed the good to fight against, As a Turkish Cypriot I'm proud that one my grand fathers fought for Britain and the good of humanity in this war.

For him and all the other hero's that either fell or died later may they rest in peace.... And thank you.

Was just about to post and pretty much say this. Thanks mate. The reason my family were able to come to this great nation and be successful is down to the men and women who many years previously fought fir their future generations.

As an Indian fella who only considers himself as a proud British citizen, I salute you all x

Listened to a lot of it on Radio 5 live today. An amazing moment in history and huge sacrifices by the soldiers.

I've read quite a few books on the concentration camps and the war on the east front. Think it's time I venture into books from D-day.
The terror and anxiety those men endured are feelings most of us can't begin to imagine.

The war is something that never stops intriguing me and I have the utmost respect for anyone who fought in it.

Sent fra min HTC One via Tapatalk

Was just about to post and pretty much say this. Thanks mate. The reason my family were able to come to this great nation and be successful is down to the men and women who many years previously fought fir their future generations.

As an Indian fella who only considers himself as a proud British citizen, I salute you all x

Amen brother.

Great guys and what they went through for us, even if a lot of the freedoms they won have now been taken away again, I have total respect for what they did.

Freedoms yes, but not just freedoms, the NHS and the welfare state (although this has wrongly become a dirty word) were founded on the backs of these heros. Slowly they are being misused/eroded/ changed, and even vilified, the blood and sweat of these heros paved the way for freedom in the world and equality at home....lest we forget. Read your history, before it is changed (ok...ok... that was slightly Orwellian ;)

The more I think about it, if the War happened in say 2 years time this generation simply couldnt handle what others did, such a bunch of fannies these days

Love this

Bernard_Jordan_vet_2934052b.jpg

An 89-year-old Second World War veteran told he could not attend today’s D-Day events in France went AWOL from his care home and was found 12 hours later in Normandy with comrades police have confirmed.

The unnamed veteran decided to disregard his carers’ orders, put on his medals under his raincoat and set off to join events on the beaches of Northern France for the 70th anniversary of the landings.

After the alarm was raised at the care home in Hove, Sussex, police searched the area and checked hospitals and bus and taxi companies.

But the extent of the veteran’s resolve became clear on Thursday evening when police were informed by another veteran that the missing man had joined a coach party and made his way to Ouistreham.

Ch Supt Nev Kemp, police commander for Brighton and Hove, said the man was “reported missing to us by a care home who said he can't go to Normandy for D-day remembrance. We've found him there!”

A spokesman for Sussex police said: “We were called at 7.15pm yesterday (Thursday 5 June) by staff at a nursing home in Hove who said an 89-year-old who lived there had gone out at 10.30am that morning and had not been seen since.

“The nursing home received a phone call from a younger veteran from Brighton at 10.30pm who said he had met the pensioner on a coach on the way to France and that they were safe and well in a hotel in Ouistreham.

“We have spoken to the veteran who called the home today and are satisfied that the pensioner is fine and that his friends are going to ensure he gets back to Hove safely over the next couple of days after the D-Day celebrations finish.”

He used to be the Mayor of Hove and was a tory councillor as well, apparently quite a character.

Shows what that generation was about I would have loved to have been on that ferry with him I would have brought him a drink and looked after him. Does make you wonder about the care home though dont it.

Back