• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Would you work for Spurs for free?

Enter the Pitbull

Luke Young
[h=1]Job of a lifetime at Tottenham Hotspur on zero pay[/h]

Published: Today at 00:22

[h=3]A DREAM job being advertised at Tottenham Hotspur was blasted yesterday ÔÇö because it comes with NO PAY.[/h]The Premier League club wants a ÔÇ£highly motivatedÔÇØ intern to spend a year working in its press office and alongside its stars for free. Furious TUC official Mick Gosling branded it ÔÇ£a disgraceÔÇØ.
He stormed: ÔÇ£The top stars get tens of thousands a week. How can this be justified?ÔÇØ
Harry RedknappÔÇÖs club is in the capitalÔÇÖs worst unemployment blackspot ÔÇö with 25 people chasing every job.
Local MP, Tory Nick de Bois admitted he was ÔÇ£surprisedÔÇØ at the length of the internship. Three months is more usual. Fan Darren Abbot, 37, who lives near the club, said: ÔÇ£I think this is awful.ÔÇØ
Spurs insisted it would be paying generous expenses ÔÇö and the role would be a ÔÇ£platform for future employmentÔÇØ.

Well, it's an internship, innit? Those things are valuable in and of themselves. I wouldn't do it in my current predicament, but straight out of uni, no dependants, if its the line of work I was looking to get in to, hells yeah I would.

Well, it's an internship, innit? Those things are valuable in and of themselves. I wouldn't do it in my current predicament, but straight out of uni, no dependants, if its the line of work I was looking to get in to, hells yeah I would.

Spot on. First rung of the ladder and what better place to start than the world's premier football club.

Spot on. First rung of the ladder and what better place to start than the world's premier football club.

Yeah but unpaid for a whole year really is taking the tinkle. Three-6 months max and then paid a salary once you had been trained up a bit/got some autonomy in the role would be more reasonable. If they really think that during the whole year the work that you will be doing is not worth paying for then what s the point in doing it for the experience, because that experience will be worthless in terms of career development!

Etp where was this article from by the way? I think it was written by my mates sister as she is a journalist working on this story, as well as other examples of employers exploiting the internship system.

fudge me, that really is a tinkle-take considering the length of time and how fudging rich the club is. I have no problem with 3-month unpaid internships at charities or NGOs but this is ridiculous.

Interns should be paid the market rate for the type of work. Working for nothing with the consolation that you get to rub shoulders with multi-millionaire footballers? That's appalling.

that really is a tinkletake. Even if you were 18-21 years old and living at home, you still have bills even if its your bus fare and subbutteo stuff......

Of course I would do it. If I were a young lad and looking to get my foot in the door of course I would. It's a great opportunity and I'm sure the players would see you ok.

For a year? I don't think I could afford having zero income. Had it been three months internship as everyone has said then if I had the appropriate savings behind me then I could. But a 12 month unpaid internship for a Premier League football is ridiculous.

I guess it depends on the expenses that they would offer and whether it would be sustainable.

Back