• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Would we have done better without Harry?

GHod1981

Dave McEwen
I know his 4th, 5th, 4th record is our best in a long time, and I like the guy. But with hindsight, we had Modric, Bale and VDV, plus we still had Ledders. With another manager could our squad at that time have pushed on to greater things akin to Liverpool this season?

no/yes ...

no in that Harry was the right guy at the right time, it clicked, in general I don't think another manager would have got more out of the team.

yes in that, no question the England thing ****ed stuff up, if England had kept their manager till end of season, we would probably have finished 3rd with Harry ...

No. It wasn't just where we finished it was the football we played with him in charge.
If Levy could have his time again would he have sacked him? I doubt it. The grass looked greener but has proved to be anything but.
If Harry had been given the resources AVB got, I believe we would now be an established CL side.
Harry managed for 4 years with a net spend of around £12m. AVB comes in and we give him four times that to spend, then a year later all the Bale money. And with it he took us backwards.

Nope, not until the 3rd season anyway when he acted like an unprofessional ass and would have finished 3rd if he could have stayed focused.

No, played the best football I have seen as a spurs fan. Ok took his eye of the ball for the 3rd season and for that i will always be annoyed at him for.

(ok maybe if we had a top top draw \o/ manager we might of done better but i would not change those magical 3 seasons for the world)

Harry was a great appointment, exactly what we needed, did an excellent job in years 1/2, but I feel we underachieved in seasons 3/4 where.

Ive always alluded to this before - the ****ers got what they wanted i.e. Harry out and now we are back where we started from. Actually perhaps regression in all honesty but thats also because competition is much fiercer nowadays what with Emirates Marketing Project doing what theyre doing and Liverscum improving and perhaps you can throw Everton in the mix.

WHL was so enjoyable to go to back then. The best three or four years of my spurs supporting life and now? now im just bored of football and barely watch it.

I don't see who we would have got at the time that would have done a better job than Harry did for us. Constant progress every season. Always knew we had a chance, even in the big games. The opposition knew that if they had an off-day against us they could be smashed to pieces. He was a big personality in the media and brought extra attention and exposure to the club.

Some of you have this impression of him that he was just an old mug who didn't know the first thing about tactics, but personally I can't see any manager we've had in the last 20 years that had anywhere near his level of tactical ability. That's far from to say he was some sort of tactical genius, but he understood one key principle that most of our other managers didn't. Focus on getting players with a lot of technical skill on the pitch in positions they feel comfortable with, and you will see results. You would never have seen Paulinho in the number 10 role, a high line against Liverpool with Dawson and Capoue at CB. There were a few tactical **** ups, which manager doesn't make them, but they were far less regular under Redknapp than anyone else I've seen manage Spurs. And we played a nice variety of different styles to get results. Sitting deep, defending with two banks of four in the win over Arsenal in 2010. Charging forward and overwhelming Chelsea with our pace and dynamism a few days later. Parking the bus and hitting Milan on the counter in the San Siro. Swashbuckling, gung-ho football in the 9-1 against Wigan. 4-5-1 in his first half season, 4-4-2 for the next year and a half, 4-4-1-1 for the next year before allowing Bale to roam a bit more freely in his final year, with decent tactical switches like going 3-5-2 away to Stoke to combat their aerial threat working a treat along the way.

Instead of thinking would we have done better without him, I think we should look back and say would we have done better if we'd given him the money he wanted to spend in the January 2011 and 2012 windows, particularly 2012 when he openly said he wanted to sign Remy but instead was given the funds to sign Louis Saha.

We had the 3rd/4th best team in the league and finished 4th/5th.

A manager that didn't make the team worse than the sum of its parts would have done better.

We had the 3rd/4th best team in the league and finished 4th/5th.

A manager that didn't make the team worse than the sum of its parts would have done better.

Finished fourth in the final season not fifth. Id argue about 3rd/4th best team, he was hardly able to get anyone in in the last season which we should have. There is precedent that this has happened in the past under Levy where we havent strengthened in January.

ps its a squad game not a team game nowadays.

Last edited:
Finished fourth in the final season not fifth. Id argue about 3rd/4th best team, he was hardly able to get anyone in in the last season which we should have. There is precedent that this has happened in the past under Levy where we havent strengthened in January.

ps its a squad game not a team game nowadays.

I was generalising in my first post. For the 3 seasons we''re counting I think we had the 4th, 4th and 3rd best teams. So he finished par, below par and below par.

That's not surprising for a manager whose main tool is motivation - it's a very short-lived tactic and wore off quickly.

Let's not forget, in his final season failure his team had King, Bale, VDV, Modric, Sandro and contract season Ade.

It'd be fair to expect a "thinky" manager to get 3rd or better with that team.

First couple of seasons, no way!

Last couple of seasons, possibly. But Redknapp deserved to keep his job. I argued that we should consider getting rid of him a year earlier than we did with his upcoming court case and the England links. Had Levy gotten rid of him then and his successor had failed it would have made Levy even less popular than he seems to be now though.

I think people get a little blindsighted by the fact it was the first time we finished 4th/qualified for the CL in 09/10 - that team was every bit the 4th best in the league that season (Mark Hughes was at City iirc and Liverpool were in freefall) the real achievment, imv was playing his part in building that team that was worthy of a 4th place finish (and going one further in 11/12 and building a side capable of much more) i think there's every chance another manager could have repeated what he done in 09/10 (with the same players) and there are many who would have got us 3rd in 11/12 - whether they could have actually built those teams is very doubtful.

No. It wasn't just where we finished it was the football we played with him in charge.
If Levy could have his time again would he have sacked him? I doubt it. The grass looked greener but has proved to be anything but.
If Harry had been given the resources AVB got, I believe we would now be an established CL side.
Harry managed for 4 years with a net spend of around £12m. AVB comes in and we give him four times that to spend, then a year later all the Bale money. And with it he took us backwards.

Are you comparing Harry's net spend with AVB's gross spend? I'm no AVB fan but that seems pretty unfair.

Under AVB we spent £159m and recouped £172.5m.

Back