• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Worst pundit or commentator

Matt Holland was commentating on our game today and I have to say he was very good, not kissing our arse or anything, but just very fair, criticizing Stoke’s display as much as praising us. Makes such a difference than having to listen to Tony Gales sly digs, back handed compliments and obvious hate for us.

He actually even criticized the ref today on a number of the crap decisions against us, that literally never happens!

Agreed! I actually tweeted NBCSN (I'm in the US)today to compliment him. What I also like about him is that he doesn't feel like he has to talk all the fudging time like most of them. So many commentators (Mcmanaman!) just keep saying the same brick over and over just to hear themselves.

Tyler's passion is part of the reason he is adored by fans and is so successful in the job he does. However, the commentator’s exuberance has sometimes led to fans questioning who he supports.

“I don’t do social media and this is one of the reasons why," says Tyler. "They all think I support somebody. I support Woking and I am quite happy to say that.

“I first went to Woking when I was eight years old and it was the first football I had ever seen, I’m still in touch with the club although I coach at a level just below them so it’s difficult to see them too much now. They’ve always been my team.

“This thing where you have to have a Premier League team is garbage. It’s the accident of birth. It’s the one thing that irks me when people say you must have a Premier League team, I absolutely, categorically don’t.

“How can I be a Man United fan when I’ve got excited about Aguero. All I do is react to the game.

“It’s a great bonus to not have a Premier League team. I’m probably the only commentator to not have a Premier League club.”

Apologies if there's already a place for this:

I understand that there is the option of turing off the sound, but certain commentators and co-commentators give me the right hump. The Martin Tyler's/Alan Smith's/Merson's of this world are well known, but yesterday properly introduced me to a cnut of the highest order

While watching the 2-0 smashing of Manure I was 'treated' to the annoying and based 'words' of Jim Beglin on NBC. He had not a positive thing to say about our first goal, which was all down to lucky bounces and flukes, and then for the rest of the game continued to pour out more drivel and was pretty much incapable of saying anything positive about our performance.

United players were 'unlucky' to be caught off-side, they 'fractionally' got the ball before follow throughs that were foul play and seldom 'intended' to foul. Most times that a Spurs player made a mistake he jumped in with what they should have done better - Kane shouldn't have taken an extra touch, he should have made better contact, Eriksen had poor control - the flood of word tripe was endless.

I know there are others...

Apologies if there's already a place for this:

I understand that there is the option of turing off the sound, but certain commentators and co-commentators give me the right hump. The Martin Tyler's/Alan Smith's/Merson's of this world are well known, but yesterday properly introduced me to a cnut of the highest order

While watching the 2-0 smashing of Manure I was 'treated' to the annoying and based 'words' of Jim Beglin on NBC. He had not a positive thing to say about our first goal, which was all down to lucky bounces and flukes, and then for the rest of the game continued to pour out more drivel and was pretty much incapable of saying anything positive about our performance.

United players were 'unlucky' to be caught off-side, they 'fractionally' got the ball before follow throughs that were foul play and seldom 'intended' to foul. Most times that a Spurs player made a mistake he jumped in with what they should have done better - Kane shouldn't have taken an extra touch, he should have made better contact, Eriksen had poor control - the flood of word tripe was endless.

I know there are others...

I'll see you and raise you NBC with Tyler (I think, knob anyway) Dixon and Keown.

Beglin's a moldy, old turnip.

Part of that phalanx of Liverpool alumni twerps who cannot accept that Spurs have begun to ascend above Liverpool in year-in, year-out competitive ability. It's fear mixed with envy and spiced with frustration that they've hit the ceiling and aren't a top club anymore. They've lost their fcuking perch.

It was an absolute joy watching the Celtic game tonight, Sutton was virtually in tears! He just couldn’t understand why Celtic weren’t dominating Zenit again, just couldn’t accept that the only reason Celtic got a win in the first game was because Zenit hadn’t played a match for 2 months! Just blaming Celtic bottling it like some petulant fan.

The guy is so dumb it’s laughable, village idiot has never been more apt!

Easiest 50 quid I’ve ever made betting on Zenit to qualify before the game at evens!! Bet 365 Giving money away!

Jenas did he achieve some sort of record last week....wasn't he on nearly every day last week on a different channel,bbc...bt...itv..with his soundbites...for a chap who won a few england caps just a handful champs league performances,won one trophy he seems pretty knowledgeable of the game or is it some other reason why everyone loves him....

Jenas did he achieve some sort of record last week....wasn't he on nearly every day last week on a different channel,bbc...bt...itv..with his soundbites...for a chap who won a few england caps just a handful champs league performances,won one trophy he seems pretty knowledgeable of the game or is it some other reason why everyone loves him....

He's good looking, can put a sentence together and doesn't appear to be think he has all the answers, allround nice guy

JJ is very measured in his delivery. I would think that he had some pretty extensive media training, but he is a natural communicator. Unusually for a footballer, he seems to have a pretty good brain.

He doesn't make it about him, which so many pundits do. When Jenas mentions his playing days it is to provide some context about training and team dynamics, not to remind people how many goals he scored or medals he won. He provides background and insight into what's going on, with out making it complicated or trying to be clever. He also avoids the "should have done better" (as if any striker scored every time) and "entitled to go down" type comment.

The thread should be is there a decent pundit anywhere?

Beyond the terrible bias (Pool are title contenders every year somehow or top 4 somehow doesn't include Spurs), I really can't stand the commentators who played the game but don't know the rules (especially rules that have changed in last few years), ffs, it's your job, at least learn the basics.

I like Jenas as a pundit. Different class to the likes of Shearer and the rest of the cliché-spouters.

Back