• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Women's World Cup 2015

Perhaps the change should be in the professional men's game. The goal size was set more than a century ago and todays goalkeepers are bigger and much more athletic. The goalkeeping in the women's game is probably close to how it was before.

A similar argument can be made about pitch size. Again the women's game might reflect the older game better than the modern men's game, with players getting more time and space. The reaction to fouls is also more traditional, none of the triple flips and rolls for the faintest contact.
I think there is a case for a men's increase - but I think there is a difference between needing more skill to score vs goals that simply come from physical limitations which cannot be affected

I wouldn't change anything, I think the difference in ability thus far is a social issue rather than a physical one

if a goal size change across professional football did happen it should be to make the goals smaller not bigger, all the improvements in ball and boot technology have served only to complicate goalkeeping

Jonathan pierce is so annoying
Tremendously. He seems to have very little idea of what's going on in front of him, and still waffles on endlessly.

Good goal by Kirby, shame about the balls up from the goalie, took the gloss off the result.

yeah, Kirby was great, good performance generally, typical England though, inviting pressure in the latter stages

looked dodgy at the back but going forward we are quite decent

Tremendously. He seems to have very little idea of what's going on in front of him, and still waffles on endlessly.

Good goal by Kirby, shame about the balls up from the goalie, took the gloss off the result.

Lol

My thoughts exactly.

A miss from the Roberto Soldado school in the France/Germany game.

Did you see the one in the opening minutes if the USA game?
14 yards out, clean through, tries to hit across the ball with the outside of her boot but catches it with the instep and goes about a mile wide.....we've all done it.

Really good win for England last night - played as a team and to their strenghs. The men could learn something.

I know this is harsh, but the GK is such a weak link - I hope we stick with the no2.

Next game, midnight Wednesday, semi final against Japan.

shouldnt getting to the semi finals be a par performance for england? the strength of a womens national football is largely about how socially/economically developed the nation is (ie. womens rights, if women/girls playing football is accepted etc). combine this with the fact that england has a massive footballing culture, i really think the england womens nt should be one of the best in the world.

also does anyone else think that mark sampson is a bit brenton rodgerseque?

Really good win for England last night - played as a team and to their strenghs. The men could learn something.

Thats unfair on the mens team imo. if the mens team got to play norway and canada in the knockout rounds after a so so performances in the group stages, im sure they'd fancy their chances of reaching the semi finals too.

Thats unfair on the mens team imo. if the mens team got to play norway and canada in the knockout rounds after a so so performances in the group stages, im sure they'd fancy their chances of reaching the semi finals too.

Actually your comment is equally unfair, Canada are ranked 8th in the world and Norway 11th. At the last WC we were shown the door AT THE GROUP STAGE by teams that have now crept up to 11th and 14th, so the comparison is more than fair, in fact the women's team has actually achieved more than the men's team did by getting so far.

Canada are a good team and at home - probably like facing a Portugal in men's.
Last night's result was a very good result

my point was more that england have been performing way underpar historically (hence their relatively low rankings). I dont wish to take anything away from this current team as reaching the semi-finals is a great acheivement whoever you are. but a country like england, that is socially very well developed with a huge passion for football, should easily be one of the top 4 teams in womens football imo.

Canada are a good team and at home - probably like facing a Portugal in men's.
Last night's result was a very good result

canada may be similar to playing portugal mens, but in womens football england really should be the powerhouse (a brazil, spain or germany). albeit with brendan rodgers in charge

my point was more that england have been performing way underpar historically (hence their relatively low rankings). I dont wish to take anything away from this current team as reaching the semi-finals is a great acheivement whoever you are. but a country like england, that is socially very well developed with a huge passion for football, should easily be one of the top 4 teams in womens football imo.

canada may be similar to playing portugal mens, but in womens football england really should be the powerhouse (a brazil, spain or germany). albeit with brendan rodgers in charge

I think you are being very naive in how popular women's football is in England and forget ( or ignore) the numerous countries ( Sweden, Canada, Germany USA) that have had good women's football followings for a lot longer than England.

Hopefully the achievements of the current team can help further raise the profile, much like the GB Olympics women team did

You just explained why playing Norway and Canada is a completely different proposition for the women's team in your previous post. :rolleyes:

Sampson does tend to talk in clichés and manager speak, he's slightly annoying. Not Rodgers annoying, but on the spectrum.

Losing the first game to France was a stroke of luck in the end, although Norway and Canada at home weren't an easy task, better than facing the Germans in the quarters like the French had to. I think the winners will come from the other semi final but they've done well to still be in the mix at this stage.

You just explained why playing Norway and Canada is a completely different proposition for the women's team in your previous post. :rolleyes:

yes i was exaggerating a bit. but for the reasons that i have mentioned, i think england womens should genuinely be one of the top top teams and should be a favourite over the likes of norway and canada

Back