• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who would you sell this summer?

i do find it strange that after a summer transfer window where a lot of new signings at one time seemingly equaled a very inconsistent season - we now see a lot of posters apparently wanting to shift the squad around a fair bit again this coming transfer window.

Not sure we need another wholesale change in players. Clearly there are weak areas (left back being the most obvious, but not the only one), and there are players who are simply not fulfilling their potential (Soldado being the obvious one there, but it's unfair to single him out as there are quite a few who aren't having a good time of it right now). Still, I feel certain we just need some tweaking rather than a major overhaul.

Despite LvG's comments, I think people are getting ahead of themselves by talking as if he's already our next manager. I still have a funny feeling (just a hunch, not based on anything solid) that we'll see LvG at Man Utd next year. I know, I know, United say they'll back Moyes for at least another season, but I'm not so sure that'll happen.

I can't see Sherwood being here for another season (not saying he should or shouldn't be, but I don't see Levy sticking with him) and if LvG is up for the job then that's great. I'm just not sure he won't get "a better offer" from someone else (from my point of view there's no better job in world football than managing Spurs, but I get the feeling not everyone sees it that way).

Naughton/Rose/Townsend/Siggy/Brad/Gomes (if he still counts)

Really translates into one real first team change (Rose), the rest give us the opportunity to buy cover, build squad strength.

He just needed time for it them to settle and gel.

I honestly believe, if we'd given him Coentrao and Pato this Jan/next summer, AVB would have had us challenging for the title next season.

Can you detail how our squad is better than the Goons and Lolerpool? I am curious how you see this.

i do find it strange that after a summer transfer window where a lot of new signings at one time seemingly equaled a very inconsistent season - we now see a lot of posters apparently wanting to shift the squad around a fair bit again this coming transfer window.

Trust me, no-one is more surprised than me…and think about it, I started the thread and have a few to flog myself!!!!

It comes down to trust. There are players out there I do not trust. And personally, that's worse than being ****e in my book...

What sort of values do you recon we could get for guys like daws, Lennon, and siggy

£5m, £12m, £7m

I think most of our summer signings will still hold most of the fee we paid for them. probably soldado's value will have suffered most. but he should still fetch above £13m.

If Timmy is sacked, then it depends on who the new man wants really. Ideally, (assuming Lloris and Verts are off, some ideal scenario but likely if we fail to make top four) I would want our squad at the end of the window to look like this:

New sweeper-keeper GK
New back-up GK

Friedel

Walker
Naughton
Daws
Kaboul
Chiriches
New no-nonsense, fast, towering CB
Rose
New LB

Lennon
Lamela
Sandro
Dembele
Paulinho
Holtby
Carroll
Bentaleb
Townsend
Eriksen

Soldado
Ade
new towering striker who's great in the air and good at set-pieces

That leaves Lloris, Gomes, Verts, Fryers, Siggy, Chadli, Livermore, Capoue, Kane, Falque, BAE and Mason to be sold. At a pinch (and using completely arbitrary guesswork), I'd estimate we'd get some 20-22 million for Lloris (in order to cover his signing fee and the amount of profit on his sale owed to OL), 20-22 million for Verts, 1-3 million for Fryers, 5-7.5 million for Siggy, 4-6 million for Chadli, 4-6 million for Livermore, 5-7 million for Capoue, 1-3 million for Kane, 1-3 million for Falque, 1-2 million for BAE and 0.5-1 million for Mason. Using the lowest figures, that leaves us with 62.5-odd million to spend on a new first-team GK, a back-up GK, a towering CB, a new LB and a towering striker, not accounting for the income brought in by our new sponsorship deal and any money from previous windows that is made available. A decent fund for LvG, Timmeh or A.N.Other to play with, all things considered.

I just started typing a list out but it's really depressing cos I went through most our team and there are genuinely no players guaranteed to still be here next season (for various reasons). For example Lloris and Vertonghen will want to go to CL teams, Soldado back to Spain is likely, nothing players like Sigurdsson and Chadli are sure to leave, even players who have done okay this season such as Walker and Eriksen may not want to stay around another year.

Obviously not implying literally everyone goes but I can't decide who I'd keep and let go TBH.

We don't need a massive turnover of players again.
We just have to get a proper manager in and make sure our best players don't leave.

And we should get an upgrade on Dawson and Rose.

We have an excess at certain positions and a couple of positions that need some quality to enhance the side and not the squad.

Sell:

Soldado ( not working and also he does not suit the formation our squad is set up for )
Chadli ( truly is rubbish )
Livermore ( not a starter at spurs )
Friedel ( release )
Naughton ( Sell and fill in his squad place with Fredericks )
Siggurdsson ( above average but we have better )
Dawson ( past it )

Sign:

Back Up Keeper ( or replacement if Lloris leaves )
Another Striker who can play on his own ( Bony, Benteke, Michu )
Centre back ( to replace Dawson or at least drop him down the pecking order )

Thats it. Not massive changes so we can see how all the players we bought from last season have settled in and or if a new coach wants to assess them.

It obviously depends on incoming bids, no point in selling good squad players for a pittance. Will of course also depend on who our manager will be and what he wants to do. And also who we can bring in, if a top class wide forward becomes available letting one of those already on the books makes sense, if no such player is available then keeping what we have instead.

Players we should only sell if we get insane-o offers or they force a move: Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Sandro and Eriksen. Personally I would also be really sad to see Lamela go, I really think he'll come good, but I realize that's more of a personal preference and not as obvious as those other names.

On some level the rest are "expendable" in my eyes. I would lean towards giving the new signings from this summer more time as some of them might come good.

Good point by GB about home grown players, will try to keep that in mind. I'm guessing Gomes and perhaps Friedel will be gone so that's a start in that direction.

We need a new centre back I think, would mean letting either Kaboul or Dawson go, depending on Kaboul's fitness I think.

We lack balance in central midfield, too many runners, not enough passers. Means that some tough changes will have to be made, Capoue and one out of Paulinho and Dembele will have to make way I think. Replace with proper ball players.

If we want to play a lone striker I don't think the Ade and Soldado options are good for us. Ade is always in danger of falling back into inconsistency and Soldado has struggled to play the role so far. Might be best to get rid of both to be honest, but again, depends on bids. I have nothing against either, or perhaps even both staying depending on the plans of the manager.

Soladao - this is a difficult one.... he clearly in his build up play/vision is a class player! but his finishing this season has been woeful! Everyone on hear was creaming there pants when we signed him.... Personally I'd stick with him next year as like was said in another thread, Saurez took 18months to be the player he is today. In the first 18months his was at pool he scored as many as defoe!!! I still believe he will come good!

Townsend - I think he is overated and at best a poor lennon! sell while his stock is high.

Rose - If he doesnt get sold he shopuld be downgraded to back up LB and have a better player come in... He scares he hell out of me defensivley and is poor going forward

Ade - Keep him, clearly our best striker!

Verts/ Lloris - do everything we can to keep them!

Erikson - lets hope he doesnt get his head turned, it is criminal he doesnt walk into this team

Paulinhio/ Capoue - get rid of one but I doubt we will

INs

LB
GK, probably 2 when lloris goes
at least 1 CB as we wlose Kaboul/ Verys at least
Back up striker

With Soldado,why not look on you-tube and look on how he scored so many goals for Valencia,then buy a couple of players that play to his strengths....for a start get a wide player and a right or left back that can actually get to the by-line and get crosses over or can cross the ball and beat the first man.At the minute we've got Lennon whose basically blowing cold to tepid and Townsend going down dead end alleys or shooting into row x everytime. Chadli is the only one who could do something but then he's more out than in with regards to team selection.

Capoue and Naughton would be out of the door straight away come May 12th. Others that possibly would be up for sale in my eyes would be Holtby, Kane and Lloris. Lloris for me is a very good keeper but I don't think he is commanding enough for this league and it sounds like he has designs on playing elsewhere. We could make a lot of money on him and bring in Begovic who would still be a very good keeper.

To me there a a few factors that constantly seem to go against us. We can compete with transfers fee wise, but as we cannot offer CL football and with our wage structure the good players will always choose Man U Emirates Marketing Project ****, and Liverpool over us, so we end up paying inflated fees to land our man. e.g. Lamela and Soldado. The rest of the players we got last summer are average. We paid the same type of money for them that clubs like Southampton and West Ham can afford.
I know the idea is that some are squad players and hopefully next season will see a couple of them come good after having a season to adapt to the prem.
For example Giroud didnt really set the prem alight last season but is havig a much better season this year.

In my opinion to challenge the top 4 you need at least 2 world class players in your side. Unfortuneately we have none, over the past few years we have lost players like Modric Van Der Vaart bale and even Ledley King and we have not replaced them. We now have a squad of good but very average players. Apart from Loris and vertonghen none of our players would get into the first team of any of the teams above us and probably not even in their squads.

Anyone who thinks our squad is better than **** or Liverpool are deluded. Going back to my world class point Liverpool have Suarez and Gerrard, and I doubt any of our other players would oust anyone from their starting 11.

The trouble is if we have yet another change of manager I cant see us challenging for a top 4 space next season. You know man u will spend massively, if Liverpool are in CL they will attract better players than we can and so will ****.

Unless we get lucky and get a couple of players in who turn out to be top quality we are not going to break into the top 4

It seems we are stuck in a catch22 situation where we need a clear out of all the average players we have but the cost of this is being in another season where we need to "gel". I think we are all still waiting for that to happen this season.

Oh the joys of being a Spurs Fan

I'd change very little.

We must keep (at all costs and if that means force them to stay) Lloris, Verts, Walker, Sandro, Eriksen, Ade (unless there is a genuine chance of an upgrade on him). I don't actually rate Walker that highly, but I don't see where we'd get someone better.

I see those as our core established players i.e those who have already made the premier league grade (could be being a bit easy on Eriksen but he looks the part) and I rate highly.

So that gives us (based on 442 but assuming we want some inter-changability);

Lloris

Walker x Verts x

x x Sandro Eriksen

Ade x

Of the rest, who do we think is capable of stepping up to the plate next year (I have my ideas, but interested to hear others).

Back