• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who was our best ever signing?

We did this some time ago, basically

- Best player, likely to be very different from
- Best Value

Lennon would be high on the list of best value.

If Bale stays another season or two and continues to improve, he will probably win it, as he has the potential to be a better player than all the other names ..

This.

At £1m we have had real value out of Aaron Lennon, but as you say another season like this one and Bale will probably my vote for best ever signing to rival Sheringham.Klinsmann,Mackay and Gazza

For sheer excitement, definitely the Ardiles/Villa deal.
I also remember a big (albeit far less) reaction when Edgar Davids signed.
Gazza and Klinsmann also big moments.

Problem with Jurgen is he got way more out of the deal than us. Hero worshipped, but didn't bring any big success, nor help Spurs move to next level, just used us.

Pretty sure he did move us up a few levels! 93/94 I remember listening to us on the radio and us being in deep brick until we beat Oldham 2-0 away. Next season we finished 7th!

Hard to argue against Bale right now, although Vertonghen could end up being up there. He just oozes class we were so lucky to get him from Ajax I would wager if we wanted to we could probably get 20m+ for him right now

Problem with Jurgen is he got way more out of the deal than us. Hero worshipped, but didn't bring any big success, nor help Spurs move to next level, just used us.

I thought it was generally accepted that he saved us from relegation during his second spell at the club?

------------------------------

Overall, at least for the PL era, I thin it's becoming almost impossible not to say Gareth Bale for this one. Almost regardless of how you look at it his name would be at the top of the list for me.

Yes, from a strictly financial return on investment perhaps Lennon was better value. But honestly, I think a £50m player for £7m is more impressive and more valuable than a £15-20m player for £1m.

I suppose for impact at club an argument could be made for the return of Klinsmann being a better signing. No one can know what would have happened had we gone down then, I would like to think we would most likely have bounced right up again, but the long term effects could have been very negative and perhaps worse than the long term effects of hypothetically not signing Bale when we did.

Hard to look past Bale, for the amount that we signed him for and how good a player he has become whilst employed by the club.

I think Sandro could have a good shout in future, Lloris and Vertonghen too. Whilst value wise Lennon has been fantastic.

That's of the current crop.

Going by in my lifetime, Gazza and Lineker jointly.

Manager-wise, I'd have to say Harry (sorry El Tel!). He brought us back-to-basics and added a a stronger core to us with some of his signings when we really needed it. Although I am confident AVB could be our best yet in future! Just to add, in my lifetime, not ever.

What a class player he was, looked on a different level when he played, shame people will remember him for his two mistakes against the Arse, so composed.

Thought he was very crucial in the development of Ledley King. We then brought in Dawson in January and I have no doubt he probably aided him too.

Back