• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Levy has to say that, if he says the stadium will have an impact on spending it sends out a message to our competitors that we may need to sell our biggest assets or sell before we buy.

would have been better if levy's quote was

"I have to be honest we are pretty f*****, this stadium s*** is really expensive. Hopefully we can flog everyone quickly else we may go under"

But doing the numbers the stadium should be self funding
Indeed. Why on earth would you build a new stadium if it reduced your available funds?

In fact the year in which we would've had our most significant impact to funds is the season that we are finishing now. We have significant stadium related costs but have realised none of the income from the new stadium. Of course our cost model would've been constructed WITHOUT Champions League football, so we are likely to be ahead of the position that we had budgeted for.

Next season we have Wembley instead of Stadium MK, so again well ahead of the position that we had budgeted. There is also the significant increase from our Nike contract and another set of CL revenues (hopefully even bigger ones next season).

Anyone who thinks that our new stadium will limit our financial resources doesn't understand business. While the initial years may result in us servicing interest and perhaps choosing to make capital payments, theye will still see us have significantly increased funds to spend on our playing squad. Otherwise there was no actual point in building the thing in the first place..... unless you believe that Levy is one for vanity projects?

But doing the numbers the stadium should be self funding

Levy has to say that, if he says the stadium will have an impact on spending it sends out a message to our competitors that we may need to sell our biggest assets or sell before we buy.

This season we are going to earn more money from television than any other season in our history, that in itself should count for something

This season we are going to earn more money from television than any other season in our history, that in itself should count for something
On the other hand we have already increased our wage spending significantly over the last 12-18 months from what I can tell. By signing key players to long contracts. This comes after what I think was a decrease when we got rid of the older expensive deadwood.

Every player that signed an extended contact recently knew about the new stadium plans, tv money and richer clubs spending like drunken sailors. How unhappy can they be at this point?

On the other hand we have already increased our wage spending significantly over the last 12-18 months from what I can tell. By signing key players to long contracts. This comes after what I think was a decrease when we got rid of the older expensive deadwood.

Every player that signed an extended contact recently knew about the new stadium plans, tv money and richer clubs spending like drunken sailors. How unhappy can they be at this point?

Maybe they didn't realise they'd get this good this quickly and that their worth will have increased?

It's an interesting one, because the club can justifiably say that it's probably no coincidence that a bunch of our squad just so happen to be playing the best football of their careers all at the same time. We can for sure be confident it's the environment we've given them to flourish that's enabled them to do that.

Ok the other hand, if I'm one of the best in the world in my position and another team is not only promising to double my money but make me a starter, why am I staying?

Even at the end of last season, you could probably argue that a bunch of our talents needed to prove they could consistently be top level before top clubs would give them key roles, but now those players have proven it again - there's no surprise that other clubs will be demonstrating serious interest. In an ideal world they would all hold on until there's a genuine starting space at a Real, Barca or Bayern, and if not just stick with what they have. Skip the Emirates Marketing Project route and these guys could be earning the real mega bucks if they do for us what Bale did.

Well simply looking at the possible debt element

Say we owed £200m at the end of the construction

We could pay back £25m a year for 10 years and that would give a lender £50m back in interest which would be a massive return

One thing I wound say is we must be drawing down loans now to pay for everything as the project is live and I assume under normal practice paying every 2 weeks

Maybe they didn't realise they'd get this good this quickly and that their worth will have increased?

It's an interesting one, because the club can justifiably say that it's probably no coincidence that a bunch of our squad just so happen to be playing the best football of their careers all at the same time. We can for sure be confident it's the environment we've given them to flourish that's enabled them to do that.

Ok the other hand, if I'm one of the best in the world in my position and another team is not only promising to double my money but make me a starter, why am I staying?

Even at the end of last season, you could probably argue that a bunch of our talents needed to prove they could consistently be top level before top clubs would give them key roles, but now those players have proven it again - there's no surprise that other clubs will be demonstrating serious interest. In an ideal world they would all hold on until there's a genuine starting space at a Real, Barca or Bayern, and if not just stick with what they have. Skip the Emirates Marketing Project route and these guys could be earning the real mega bucks if they do for us what Bale did.

Quite possibly.

And Levy has shown a willingness to improve wages for players that have made it clear that they deserve it. I imagine that will continue. That to me is different to a mass "everyone deserves a bump this summer, let's spend some money" approach.

Quite possibly.

And Levy has shown a willingness to improve wages for players that have made it clear that they deserve it. I imagine that will continue. That to me is different to a mass "everyone deserves a bump this summer, let's spend some money" approach.

Levy has - although if there is a delta between what he thinks players deserve and what players agents think they deserve then it becomes difficult.

I trust Levy, my only thing is hoping we are adaptable. If we are say 2 years ahead of where we thought we would be football wise after bringing Poch in, we may need to adjust our strategy around wages to suit.

Quite possibly.

That's been my view

We have publicly shown off the "new contracts" in a manner to highlight that we're rewarding performance

I'd fully expect that to continue like it has for Kane for example

As we get bigger the players get rewarded

What isn't gonna happen is players doubling their contracts (even though that may only give them some parity with the market). No normal business does that and I've seen it myself what happens when you do something similar.... people get lazy as they think they have achieved their goals, although of course foortball is very very different

That's been my view

We have publicly shown off the "new contracts" in a manner to highlight that we're rewarding performance

I'd fully expect that to continue like it has for Kane for example

As we get bigger the players get rewarded

What isn't gonna happen is players doubling their contracts (even though that may only give them some parity with the market). No normal business does that and I've seen it myself what happens when you do something similar.... people get lazy as they think they have achieved their goals, although of course foortball is very very different
You don't necessarily need to give players parity with the top end of the market in order for them to stay. If we have a player on (say) £70k a week a contract with 3 or 4 years remaining on that contract, then it makes financial sense for that player to extend the contract by a year and up their wage to £100k a week. It might still be £30k shy of what they could earn elsewhere, but there is also the risk that we decide to hold the player to their contract and not sell them, leaving them on the existing £70k a week.

It is all just a big dance between the clubs and the agents. It always starts with stories in the paper where club X (always a rich one) is prepared to pay the player twice the money that they earn at their existing club. Of course it is the agents who plant those stories and the press lap them up. Usually the end result is the player signing a new contract at their existing club, especially if the player has over 2.5 years left on their existing deal.

You don't necessarily need to give players parity with the top end of the market in order for them to stay. If we have a player on (say) £70k a week a contract with 3 or 4 years remaining on that contract, then it makes financial sense for that player to extend the contract by a year and up their wage to £100k a week. It might still be £30k shy of what they could earn elsewhere, but there is also the risk that we decide to hold the player to their contract and not sell them, leaving them on the existing £70k a week.

It is all just a big dance between the clubs and the agents. It always starts with stories in the paper where club X (always a rich one) is prepared to pay the player twice the money that they earn at their existing club. Of course it is the agents who plant those stories and the press lap them up. Usually the end result is the player signing a new contract at their existing club, especially if the player has over 2.5 years left on their existing deal.

It has to be carrot and stick until we get a significantly greater turnover from the success

You give the players bonuses for winning trophies not for winning games. For getting into the champions league for example as it brings greater rewards

Looks like the Toby cloning project is going well.
DA_bR1OWsAEMQFm.jpg

Undeniably one of the best centre backs in the country. If we have him and Verts playing it's hard to see us conceding many goals which given our goal threat in Kane etc means we'll win most games. Simple as that.

When Kane got injured we still won games
It was when Toby got injured that we struggled as he makes us play higher up the pitch as he sweeps and cleans up everything

Last edited:
Back