• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

I think if Poch had stayed Toby would not have signed a new contract

It's an easy conclusion to draw but i think it's possible he'd have signed anyway, assuming Poch had him in his plans - it seems there isn't much interest in him from outside and it's likely that the player has conceded a notch or two on his demands as a result as he has seen he is better staying put

Probably based on that clip from the post match interview where Belgium had just won an important game and he was asked about it

It's an easy conclusion to draw but i think it's possible he'd have signed anyway, assuming Poch had him in his plans - it seems there isn't much interest in him from outside and it's likely that the player has conceded a notch or two on his demands as a result as he has seen he is better staying put
The decline had lasted ten months and showed no signs of turning around.

Alderweireld could see that our form was turning, our prospects this season and going into next season were changing. If Pochettino could have done the same he might have stayed. I think that was unlikely.

The decline had lasted ten months and showed no signs of turning around.

Alderweireld could see that our form was turning, our prospects this season and going into next season were changing. If Pochettino could have done the same he might have stayed. I think that was unlikely.
I agree
There wasn’t a chance in hell of some of these older players signing in for Poch

Do you subscribe to the Athletic? He doesn't batter us over the head - and in past seasons it was hard to justify - but the sly digs are routinely there. Same when he's on that Sunday morning bun toss that Neil Ashton hosts on Sky.

No, I do not subscribe to the Athletic, however I do subscribe to the View from the Lane, a Tottenham podcast hosted by Jack Pitt-Brooke, and I have found him very fair and I think it is a good listen

He was poor yesterday and his covering for their first goal was awful.

It was though if one of the two midfielders who went for the ball had gone directly to cover the goal it would’ve freed Toby to fully press the man. A comedy of errors. Like the second!

He could've gone to the man with the ball, but they had another guy wide to pass to. He couldn't win in that situation.

He could've gone to the man with the ball, but they had another guy wide to pass to. He couldn't win in that situation.

Exactly why he needed one of our midfield to help out! But he lacked authority and appeared like bambi in headlights. I immediately remembered VVD on Sissoko. He took the gamble and pressed him into the shot/cut Son off (as I remember).

He is getting older and his performances hasn't matched up to the past. Still i think it is good that we kept him for his experience, especially hat never-say-die journey to the CL final. Also we didn't pay him so much in the past so it is literally payback time for levy.

It was amateurish inexcusable defending for me. Never seen someone back off like that in a central area, he had to step forwards, back himself, and take the chance.

tickle my balls with a feather a really big/bad decision from a player who was once a great player, sadly he is not the same now. I am glad he signed a new contract but more as a back up and to allow the likes of Foyth and Sanchez to progress.

“I was particularly impressed by his professionalism,” said Alderweireld. “Sometimes you have guys who excel in the Netherlands and then start here very naively. Steven is very sober, there is a very good head on him. I don't know him that well yet, but you notice that he wants to work very hard,” he added.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/02/...at-hes-already-noticed-about-steven-b/page/1/

Was this a comment on certain purchases from Netherlands? Namely one that has left.

Could be. Poch never seemed to fancy Janssen from the beginning so maybe he came over all Charlie big potatoes from the off? Yet on the pitch though he always tried hard and if anything lacked confidence to be selfish / direct.

He was a trier on the pitch, but only ever tried the wrong things in my view. He appeared to like to get into tussles with defenders much bigger than him and always seemed to end up on his arse. I'm sure I remember Pochettino implying more than once that his attitude in training wasn't the best either.

Back