• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Toby Alderweireld

Didn't play enough because of the excellence of the Miranda-Godin partnership. He did an interview a while ago where he explained how stop-start his season at Atletico was: essentially, it culminated in him coming on in extra time in the CL final, only to immediately be beaten to the ball in the air by Bale, who thumped it in for Real's second goal on the night. Got loaned out to S'oton, and the rest is history.

Interesting. Do you think there was some resentment from the management at Atletico for the fact that Bale beat him to that header and things went 'sour' from then on?
Or do you think he himself pushed for the loan to Soton?

Interesting. Do you think there was some resentment from the management at Atletico for the fact that Bale beat him to that header and things went 'sour' from then on?

I really doubt it... Would be unprofessional in the extreme from Atletico.

My guess it was just a case of a good, fairly young, player wanting a move to somewhere where he would get regular games. And a team willing to let him go as they had higher rated options in their squad.

Sorry but we are not going to keep players with silly money some of the daft clubs spend.
Kane is going to get offers of £100m + :eek: soon

Hmm...let's see how long it takes for "reports suggest a Emirates Marketing Project bid for Spurs defender Alderweireld is imminent" to appear in the press.
Shall we do transfer bingo and guess which paper?:D

Hmm...let's see how long it takes for "reports suggest a Emirates Marketing Project bid for Spurs defender Alderweireld is imminent" to appear in the press.
Shall we do transfer bingo and guess which paper?:D

Never saw that - but with amount of money washing about its not a surprise.

Everton, Southampton and West Ham will be asset stripped again soon.
Liverpool will need a huge war chest to restock.
We will struggle to keep our good players unless we are clever.

Its just the law of football jungle 2016.

Never saw that - but with amount of money washing about its not a surprise.

Everton, Southampton and West Ham will be asset stripped again soon.
Liverpool will need a huge war chest to restock.
We will struggle to keep our good players unless we are clever.

Its just the law of football jungle 2016.

No it hasn't happened yet (as far as i know:eek:); i'm just saying shall we guess when it wil be reported (after some lazy hack reads the suggestion here..)

:p

No it hasn't happened yet (as far as i know:eek:); i'm just saying shall we guess when it wil be reported (after some lazy hack reads the suggestion here..)

:p
got ya

City could take so many top players its frightening but it will take a couple of seasons due to fair play rule.
If i was them Stones would be my no.1 then get Payet along with a top striker ie Suarez?

I don't think there was any 'resentment', per se: I doubt football clubs operate like that, except when it comes to egotistic ponces like Peace and Pulis. It's probably got more to do with him just not being viewed as being solid enough for an Atletico team challenging at the pinnacle of European football, coupled with the emergence (as @braineclipse points out) of Gimenez as a serious option at CB, obviating the need to keep Toby around.

He has been outstanding this season but was badly at fault for both goals and he wasn't good enough for either. It happens, defenders make mistakes and yesterday will not stop be telling everyone that he has been the best centre half in the league this year!

A bit harsh to say he was to blame for the first goal, he got blocked off from following the runner and it was good work from the Leicester team and its something they do a lot.

These things happen and we have done the same with some of the goals we have scored from corners. He was not at his best I agree but every player has these types of games against a side that is where they are because they have a plan and system which is very hard to overcome.

I wonder what all the body language experts and those that wrote off Vertonghen last season (or before) would have had to say if it had been Verthongen instead of Alderweireld making the mistakes in the last two games against Leicester...

I wonder what all the body language experts and those that wrote off Vertonghen last season (or before) would have had to say if it had been Verthongen instead of Alderweireld making the mistakes in the last two games against Leicester...

Don't know what point you're trying to make really. If Alderwiereld has a run of games where he makes regular mistakes, he'll be criticised just like Vertonghen has been.
Vertonghen was cut a lot of slack in his first season with us as he had a lot of initially very good displays and i suspect Alderweireld will be cut similar slack (he's earned that right) until it looks like he is starting to make mistakes that are so regular that it looks like that's his level...

Don't know what point you're trying to make really. If Alderwiereld has a run of games where he makes regular mistakes, he'll be criticised just like Vertonghen has been.
Vertonghen was cut a lot of slack in his first season with us as he had a lot of initially very good displays and i suspect Alderweireld will be cut similar slack (he's earned that right) until it looks like he is starting to make mistakes that are so regular that it looks like that's his level...

Alderweireld has come into a very functional team. A team with very good full backs, playing next to Vertonghen who he already knew and with a team ahead of him a year into adapting to Pochettino.

My point is that he and Vertonghen have both been very good in this functional team. Yet people are praising Alderweireld a lot more than Vertonghen. Seemingly based only on Vertonghen not being that good when our team was significantly worse and in various stages of transition between AVB, Sherwood and then Pochettino. But do we actually know if Alderweireld would have been that much better in those circumstances?

My point is that Vertonghen deserves a lot more praise. And not as much criticism for when he makes mistakes.

Thier first goal was a collective failure with everyone of our players in the area. No one person was more to blame.

No I am sorry - if you are marking someone from a corner and they score, it is YOUR fault. He has now been responsible for 3 goals against leicester theoigh switching off or not being strong enough. People throwing blame at Chadli the other day we're looking to blame a boo boy.

Toby lost Huth last night and can be blamed for the goal. It's also to be expected as he is probably knackered but it's interesting to note how people defend some and go out of their way to attack others.

Isn't it time to sell toby ;)

Alderweireld has come into a very functional team. A team with very good full backs, playing next to Vertonghen who he already knew and with a team ahead of him a year into adapting to Pochettino.

My point is that he and Vertonghen have both been very good in this functional team. Yet people are praising Alderweireld a lot more than Vertonghen. Seemingly based only on Vertonghen not being that good when our team was significantly worse and in various stages of transition between AVB, Sherwood and then Pochettino. But do we actually know if Alderweireld would have been that much better in those circumstances?

My point is that Vertonghen deserves a lot more praise. And not as much criticism for when he makes mistakes.

Vertonghen came into a team that had just finished 4th and had what turned out (in the end) to have one of the world's top 3 players in the side. I think you are forgetting where we were when Vertonghen joined and how effective we ended up at the end of that first season (albeit missing out on CL by a point again).
People are judging things as they see it and judging the individual performances of our defenders, including Vertonghen.
After all we have had much more disfunctional units in the past but that didn't stop people from seeing how good the likes of Ledley King, Woodgate, RSol (ugh!) despite that.

Toby has been outstanding generally but last night for their goal he actually took Dier out.

Against them in the cut he clashed with Chadli for the corner they scored from

He is a great great player but the are odd mistakes

Back