• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The youth players/on-loan thread 2015-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Sonupe the only releasee

Contract Players
Alderweireld, Toby Albertine
Alli, Bamidele Jermaine
Amos, Luke Ayodele
Ball, Dominic
Bentaleb, Nabil
Carroll, Thomas James
Carter-Vickers, Cameron
Chadli, Nacer
Davies, Benjamin Thomas
Dembele, Mousa
Dier, Eric Jeremy Edgar
Eriksen, Christian
Fazio, Federico
Georgiou, Anthony Michael (Extended)
Glover, Thomas William
Goddard, Cy (Extended)
Harrison, Shayon
Heung-Min, Son
Kane, Harry
Lamela, Erik
Lesniak, Filip
Lloris, Hugo
Maghoma, Christian
Mason, Ryan Glen
McGee, Luke Paul
Miller, William (Extended)
N'Jie, Clinton
Oduwa, Nathan
Ogilvie, Connor Stuart
Onomah, Joshua
Pritchard, Alex David
Pritchard, Joe Cameron
Rose, Daniel Lee
Tracey, Shilow
Trippier, Kieran John
Vertonghen, Jan
Vorm, Michel
Voss, Harry William (Extended)
Walker, Kyle Andrew
Walker-Peters, Kyle
Walkes, Anton (Extended)
Ward, Grant Antony
Wimmer, Kevin
Winks, Harry
Yedlin, DeAndre

Scholars
Austin, Brandon Anthony
Bennetts, Keanan Chidozie
Brown, Jaden
Duncan, Dylan
Edwards, Marcus
Loft, Ryan (Extended)
Marsh, George Owen
Mcdermott, Thomas William (Extended)
Mukena, Joy-Richard
Muscatt, Joseph Luis (Extended)
Oteh, Aramide Jay
Owens, Charlie (Extended)
Roles, Jack
Shashoua, Samuel
Sterling, Kazaiah
Stylianides, Zenon (Extended)
Tanganga, Japhat Manzambi
Tsaroulla, Nicholas
Whiteman, Alfie

Released
Sonupe, Emmanuel Olukolade

Team Nigeria UK supremo David Doherty has expressed shock over the axing of Tottenham Hotspur winger Nathan Oduwa and Birmingham City Young Player of the Year Viv Solomon-Otabor from Nigeria’s provisional roster for the Olympic Games.

Oduwa debuted for the squad in a high-profile friendly against Brazil in March and took part in the Suwon Invitational Tournament in South Korea, while Solomon-Otabor trained with the Nigeria U23s for the second time in June.

“We are not aware that Oduwa was asked to pay for his own flight ticket to the United States from his own pocket, ” Doherty told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“We were surprised as well that Oduwa and Viv Solomon-Otabor were both not included in the list.

“We cannot say anything until we get to speak to the players involved to know what went wrong. ”

Oduwa was hoping to put himself in the shop window at the Olympic Games but his dream of making his competitive debut for Nigeria is now an illusion.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=19620

Good to see Edwards (and others) getting experience with the first team (such as it will be for the overseas tour)

The experience they get will not be restricted to football, they'll learn about being in the public eye and how to represent themselves and the club, they will all have traveled with their international teams as youth players but now they will be 1st team squad members and the club will learn about them as well.

Tottenham Hotspur have made use of a clause in the contract of Nigeria U-23 forward Nathan Oduwa to extend his contract,Owngoalnigeria.com understands.

Unknown to many suggesting his contract will run out this June, Spurs inserted a clause in his last contract that gives them the first option to renew his deal upon the expiration of his deal.

SkySports Lyall Thomas explained that Spurs just like the case of Tom Carroll have made use of the power of the option of renewal inserted in the Nigerian deal by extending his contract till the Summer of 2017.

However the issue of contract extension with Spurs that has dominated the news of late is about the forward extend his deal beyond the summer of 2017 which he has so far refused.

20 year old Oduwa has been at Spurs since the age of 11 and was hoping he will be a part of the Nigeria U-23s to the Olympic where he could attract other clubs but his dreams were dashed after he was left out of the team following a below par showing in the three games he played for the team.

Still waiting for his professional debut for the main team of Spurs he has endured loan spells at Luton Town, Rangers and Colchester with varying degree of success.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/07/04/revealed-spurs-trigger-extension-clause-in-oduwas-contract/

are we offering that to him because we're being pressured to do so by his people or do we think he is ready? if it's the latter then yeah id say it's a good thing but if the former then it doesn't bode well for the future

Good news - Breezer on Spurs Community has said that Edwards has now signed, I think two years is the maximum he can sign for at this stage but he'll probably get multiple new contracts in that time.

Now some bad news - unfortunately @thfcacademy thinks Nya Kirby(one of our best first year prospects) has rejected a scholarship, presumably as he was offered a guaranteed and sizeable pro deal elsewhere. The club may have to look at adapting it's approach towards academy players, it's fine saying we're doing the right thing by not giving them too much too soon but then if it starts to become a recurring theme then I don't think we can afford to keep seeing our best talents leave for our rivals.

It is a difficult one to manage, I would imagine, as some young players may have their heads turned whilst others will be more settled/be open to listening to good advice. I can only hope it works out for him.
Hopefully the majority of youngsters would be able to look at the academy players who do go on to have successful careers, either with us, or eventually with other clubs and see that there is a progression path worth sticking around for. We already have a few good role models, and the likes of Edwards now getting a promotion can only help (although is there a risk that him being fast-tracked means someone else feels they are pushed down the pecking order?).

Does anyone know how Veljkovic has fared since moving to Werder Bremen?

On another note, I see that it has now been formally announced that our Academy is one of those invited to take in part in the expanded EFL Trophy (former Johnstons Paint), in which the starting 11 for each game must include at least 6 U21s.

Other PL teams participating : Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Leicester City, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Manchester United, Middlesbrough, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Swansea City, Tottenham Hotspur, West Bromwich Albion and West Ham United.
http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-format-confirmed-for-201617-3170687.aspx

I assume the idea is to make U21s more competitive, raise the profile of the competition, and generate funds (eg. shared gate receipts) for clubs in Leagues One and Two but I am sure I have seen some dissenting articles previously from fans of teams in those divisions who take a somewhat different view.

It is a difficult one to manage, I would imagine, as some young players may have their heads turned whilst others will be more settled/be open to listening to good advice. I can only hope it works out for him.
Hopefully the majority of youngsters would be able to look at the academy players who do go on to have successful careers, either with us, or eventually with other clubs and see that there is a progression path worth sticking around for. We already have a few good role models, and the likes of Edwards now getting a promotion can only help (although is there a risk that him being fast-tracked means someone else feels they are pushed down the pecking order?).

Does anyone know how Veljkovic has fared since moving to Werder Bremen?

On another note, I see that it has now been formally announced that our Academy is one of those invited to take in part in the expanded EFL Trophy (former Johnstons Paint), in which the starting 11 for each game must include at least 6 U21s.

Other PL teams participating : Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Leicester City, Liverpool, Emirates Marketing Project, Manchester United, Middlesbrough, Saudi Sportswashing Machine, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Swansea City, Tottenham Hotspur, West Bromwich Albion and West Ham United.
http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-format-confirmed-for-201617-3170687.aspx

I assume the idea is to make U21s more competitive, raise the profile of the competition, and generate funds (eg. shared gate receipts) for clubs in Leagues One and Two but I am sure I have seen some dissenting articles previously from fans of teams in those divisions who take a somewhat different view.

Edwards hasn't even started a game for the u21s yet so a few who are regulars at that level may well feel a bit cheesed off but frankly he's a far bigger talent than any of them, even without him I don't think any of them would've been invited up to training with the first team just yet anyway. The player it impacts the most may actually be Onomah which feels weird for me to say as they're absolutely nothing alike as players but given Edwards plays in the positions Poch has used Josh in then I can see him regressing from last year. I don't know what Poch plans to do with Onomah but a loan looks like the best option as it stands.

Veljkovic has barely played but when he signed the Werder coach or president said he's a signing for next season so we'll see how he gets on, he should do well if given a chance but I have no idea about their squad. As for the EFL trophy I'm not really sure about it, the main proposed benefit from our side is it gives them experience against senior opposition but I'm not sure a handful of games a season is going to really do that much for them, I think a lot of the games are scheduled during international breaks as well which means a lot of the better players won't be available either. At the moment it seems like a bit of a novelty idea for me, I just don't see there being any solution to improving the pathway for young players when there's so much money in the Premier League (and even the Championship now). As a fan though I like the idea as it means I get to watch them play more :D

I think we could fit the two (Onomah and Edwards) into a lineup, much the same way we currently have Eriksen and Lamela. Onomah has impressed me when deployed in that inside left channel whilst Edwards looks more likely to be doing the same on the right. Pritchard and Chadli are their biggest competition for games and if the information written above about Edwards getting first team time is correct, then I'd agree that Onomah should get a loan. The Championship might be best, as he would probably be a first team regular like Pritchard was for Brentford. With the money flying around in the Premier League this year, I doubt we could land him a loan without risking a WBA situation though he has the physical attributes to stand up for himself.

I'm actually hopeful that Winks can get a chance this year. If we are looking to develop him as a #8 sitting alongside someone like Dier then now is the season. We'd need to sell Carroll and Mason as they are currently stalling his development in that role, but with the addition of Wanyama and the safety net of Bentaleb and Alli available for that position, he could be eased into games. Another year like this last one for him could be damaging.

I had assumed "invited" was just a way of saying those clubs had already been approached and agreed to participate. You would think that would be the sensible way to do things, rather than potentially devalue the whole exercise by having clubs publicly decline.
When reading the article and the reasons behind the decision, it does make sense however.

I initially though this would be a good challenge for the academy players but it looks like they will have a lot on their plate already and if some of the players are out on loan they will be fielding very young sides and getting beat on a wet Wednesday night at Gillingham may not help their development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back