• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The 'it could be a lot worse' thread

90sSpursBook

Erik Edman
I think this would be a good sticky to refer to when we have a disappointing result just to put into perspective how much we should be grateful for.

Today, my three contenders are:

Aston Villa - massive club being run into the ground by unambitious chairman and extremely negative style of football. They have scored JUST 11 goals this season in 21 PL games and were also knocked out of the League Cup by Leyton Orient in the 2nd round in August. This is a club that probably needs to go down to rediscover itself.

QPR - lets leave the Harry talk aside but to travel to 10 away games and lose every one of them is something we have never suffered. Also knocked out of the FA Cup at first hurdle, smashed at home by lower league opposition having only got beyond the 3rd round twice in 17 years.

Leeds Utd - yes, we all hate dirty Leeds but to be fair their supporters follow them through thick and thin. Their owner is a nutcase and they've had more managers this season than us and currently sit one position outside of the relegation zone.

Saudi Sportswashing Machine are the team we should remember. They along with Villa and Everton are often put as our peers. Toon had the world at their feet about 20 years ago. Nothing to show for it, not even a league cup.

When we mourn the loss of Bale they mourn Cabaye. Yet we can trace equal expenditure on players, Newcastles reinvestment is low.

When we moan about two league cups in 15 years they have to go back to the Moon Landing for their last bit of silverware. In that time we've won two UEFAs, three league cups, three FA cups.

When we moan about disappointing seasons leading to finishing eight they have a year in the Championship to reflect on. Dressed as Soleros.

When we moan about Levy they moan about Ashley.

When we moan about stadiums.... ok, they are pretty much sorted. But when we moan about Tottenham High Road we can close our eyes and twenty minutes later you are in Central London. At St James Park close your eyes and two hours later you are still in the north

Even in my darkest moments as a Spurs fan I just have to think what it must be like to be Greg and my tears start running for him instead

Nottingham Forest,

Won the only piece of silverware that we've failed to attain in our History (European Cup) on two occasions, at their peak they had the whole continent shaking in its boots.

article-0-0064F1A200000258-714_468x308.jpg

Fast foward to to pressnt day and they're now talking about getting a new manager yet again in what is their 16th season outside the top flight, three of which were spent in the third teir after a period of financial instability that nearly ended in bankruptcy (early 00s).

Also, every year they manage to go on a great run only to f*** it up, e.g started with a bang this season flying high after ten games now suffering relegation form. Also, they have never won a Play-Off S/F at five attempts.

We took a lot of stick for so many transfer flops following the Bale windfall spree but at least a couple or three are now paying dividends - Eriksen, Chadli.

Brendan Rogers bragged he wasn't doing a 'Spurs' with the Suarez money last summer but let's tale a look at some of their flops shall we?

Lovren £20m

Origi £10m

Moreno £12m

Can £9.75m

Balottelli £16m (just our luck the one and only decent gam he's had so far was against us)

Lallana £25m

Markovic £20m

Total £112.75m compared with our £107m - and they're currently 8th in the table. From memory we were consistently in the top four/ five at the same stage in 2012/13.

You can't give our new signings a year to adapt but not apply the same rule to Liverpool's signings. I think Moreno is a good player, he and Lallana are arguably the successes so far for them.

And this could be a lot better too...look at Atletico Madrid winning La Liga last season, ahead of Barcelona & Real Madrid, and with comparatively low spending compared to those two sides.

Look at Southampton, sold a good number of players but do they collapse? Nope. Instead, they've rebuilt and sit with a decent chance of a top 4 finish this season. And all this comes off of the back of a season in which many declared that Southampton would be relegated in.

Not that I'm complaining, but why don't we see 'it could be a lot better' threads with the same frequency? :p

Because every thread on the forum descends in to people complaining about how crap we are or how player x isn't as good as player y - doesn't really require it's own specific thread

Because every thread on the forum descends in to people complaining about how crap we are or how player x isn't as good as player y - doesn't really require it's own specific thread

Or "why cant Joe Lewis downsize to a dinghy and buy us Lionel Messi"

On the other hand, ****posting is by no means exclusive to negative threads, it seems.

It's not **** posting, it's trying to get a balance. At least that was the intention of my post. We are where we are, we shouldn't compare ourselves to other teams in the manner of either the first post, or my post. Instead, we take the results of the team, match it with performances and expectations combined and see where we are headed. It is what it is, it could be better but it could also be worse.

It's not **** posting, it's trying to get a balance. At least that was the intention of my post. We are where we are, we shouldn't compare ourselves to other teams in the manner of either the first post, or my post. Instead, we take the results of the team, match it with performances and expectations combined and see where we are headed. It is what it is, it could be better but it could also be worse.

Wasn't aimed at you, mate: your post took effort to create.

I feel absolutely sick having been dumped out of the FA Cup. When I was 10 we had won the competition more times than anyone else....it was our cup and now it will be at least 25 years between successes in the trophy.

HOWEVER,

there will be folk out there who feel worse than us tonight and this thread is here to recognise them. So my nominations for the 'it could be a lot worse award' for 24th January are:

1. Blackpool - not only are they have a terrible season and staring relegation to the 3rd tier in the face; have an awful human being as a chairman but are having to face:
a) having lost by a five goal margin and conceded seven goals in a game.
b) been 2-0 up at half-time and thinking fortunes were going to change
c) a bloody long journey home from Watford to Blackpool

2. Leyton Orient - 12 months ago they were vying for an automatic promotion spot to the 2nd tier for the first time in 30 years. Now they are going through managers with no obvious direction and have lost 2-0 at Colchester - a local rival.

3. Sunderland - a weak argument but they have watched their team draw 0-0 at home to Fulham and will now have to contemplate travelling to South West London for the replay on a midweek night.

We could have a replay. Now that would be worse.

Err no it wouldn't. We would still be in the cup and within chance of winning it but I guess you'd rather we challenge and ultimately fail for the supposed holy grail that is the top 4. Deary me the modern day spurs fan is something else.

Err no it wouldn't. We would still be in the cup and within chance of winning it but I guess you'd rather we challenge and ultimately fail for the supposed holy grail that is the top 4. Deary me the modern day spurs fan is something else.

That's an assumption mate; I don't think anyone is glad we lost (particularly in a game we should have won and with some of the Sky powers losing too). I do think that a lot of focus is on a competition we are in touching distance of winning. 3 club competitions - we were in 3 and I'm assuming we are closer to winning the Europa than FA Cup too (may be wrong).

Back