• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"The Glory Game" Statistics

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
Hunter Davies book "The Glory Game" was first published in 1972 and remains one of the greatest books ever written about football.

It chronicles the story of Spurs during the 1971-72 season and the author was given unprecedented access to all aspects of the club, something the Directors were later to regret!

It's a must-read for every Spurs fan or anyone interested in football.

One of the fascinating features of the book is a series of statistics which cover every aspect of the player's professional & private lives.

For example, here is the breakdown of the squad's living accommodation...

P0213_zpse7802687.png

...the mind boggles to think that Alan Mullery, the club's captain and a regular England international, was worried about his mortgage repayments as his career was coming to an end.

Or that Steve Perryman, an established first team player at the time, was still living with his parents!

Thanks.

Amazing stuff to put in ANY footy book. Read it at the time it came out but don't remember clocking that kind of info. Must take another look.

One of my favs for sure. The Battle of Bucharest, Mullery's awful injury hit season only to return and score vital goals.

I recall when I was a kid our PE teacher said he knew joe kinnear after he finished playing from their time together at a local gym ( possibly a local cricket club ) where Joe was the janitor. Before he went to manage wimbledon iirc

Also, hunter davies had good bit in the new statesman last week talking about spurs and arsenals current moods. Worth a read

ESSENTIAL reading for any Spurs fan. Although its set in one season, it tells you about the history, the fabric of this club from the defining Sixties. Although the stadium is totally different now it seems like the ground is the same.... goes to show how important it is that we get Northumberland Park right. If I remember rightly, the opening line talks about White Hart Lane "lurking like a battleship behind Tottenham High Road" and it makes me think that every time I approach the stadium!

Given to me to read by my late grandfather. I miss the guy. He knew an all standing WHL - his father and uncles would protect him and his young brother from the crowds - creating a little enclosure for them

Its a class book, still a great read now.

Back