• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Deep 2 in Midfield

Rewlly? I think mason looked sensationally out of his depth today, he's so painfully slow, doesn't rewlly get involved at all and doesn't really make creative passes. He's like bentaleb, but not as good... .

Wow, people do see a game differently !!!!

I'd like to see dembele in one of the positions behind the striker, his powerful dribbling higher up the pitch could cause problems. Looked good there v Saudi Sportswashing Machine last year. I think he's got too much ability to discard, we just need to find a way to utilize him.

Yeah I would like to see him there for a good run of games not just 10-15 mins or just one game.

He doesn't have the best vision, passing range or creativity and when he's played in a deep lying playmaker role it's not using him to his full strengths! The way he can just glide past people is a huge ability and one we don't have many who can do that! Play him off the front man and when he does glide past 2 or 3 he might be in a shooting position or have a simple ball too a teammate rather than still be in his own half and need the ability of Modric to be effective!

May also play into Poch's way of playing helping press high up the pitch.

Rewlly? I think mason looked sensationally out of his depth today, he's so painfully slow, doesn't rewlly get involved at all and doesn't really make creative passes.

Nope. He was good today, not always the most eye-catching, but loads of clever, quick passing. Perhaps if he was a 6ft2 black guy with a blonde mohican people would notice him more and realise he was that guy doing all those good little things.

Yeah I would like to see him there for a good run of games not just 10-15 mins or just one game.

He doesn't have the best vision, passing range or creativity and when he's played in a deep lying playmaker role it's not using him to his full strengths! The way he can just glide past people is a huge ability and one we don't have many who can do that! Play him off the front man and when he does glide past 2 or 3 he might be in a shooting position or have a simple ball too a teammate rather than still be in his own half and need the ability of Modric to be effective!

May also play into Poch's way of playing helping press high up the pitch.

Who would you want dropped to accommodate Dembele?

Who would you want dropped to accommodate Dembele?

Good question...I'd like to try Chadli up front so that would mean Ade however, the other option would have been Eriksen before today! Important goal for him today and he showed some glimpses but still don't think he's anywhere near the form he's capable of!

Wow I'm stunned. Did you watch it on TV or at the game? I'd guess on TV he may possibly not look as good

I was in the lower tier south stand and had some Great views of his passisng. It was quick, precise and spreaded the play

I'd love to see some stats for him as I don't remember a pass going astray and most were ppositive quick ones

No I was there, east upper, weird isn't it :) I really thought he was invisible. I also wasn't a fan at all of bentaleb and everyone used to bang on about him. Glad he's slowly being phased out the first 11, can see the same happening to Mason personally.

Nope. He was good today, not always the most eye-catching, but loads of clever, quick passing. Perhaps if he was a 6ft2 black guy with a blonde mohican people would notice him more and realise he was that guy doing all those good little things.

ZZZZzzzzzzzz

We don't have any 6f 2 black guys with blonde mohican's but I thought everyone else (bar Ade) was very good today!

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, you don't have to pull out the old "inho" style jokes to demean someones opinions.

soton didn't win the battle for the centre of the park convincingly, they didn't pass through the centre. i think mason and capoue did and excellent job organizing themselves and protecting the front of the goal, and forced soton down the wings and totally neutralized current man of the midfield schneiderlin !

on the contrary you don't need to be fast in the centre of the park, unless you're going to commit yourself to challenges (parker) and risk leaving gaps behind. falling back to close off options for a through ball pass down the centre - that would be the main role in defending - and hence slowing down the attack.

i think capoue and mason are a very good pairing. mason is more vocal than capoue too, shouting for the midfielders to come back to defend. reminds me of a young gary mabutt.

I think Mason is the real deal and we've got our first choice CM pairing now. It's up to Stambouli of course to challenge that. Bentaleb and Dembele will be cup players or come off the bench. Would be surprised to see Dembele here next season.

ZZZZzzzzzzzz

We don't have any 6f 2 black guys with blonde mohican's but I thought everyone else (bar Ade) was very good today!

Just because someone doesn't agree with you, you don't have to pull out the old "inho" style jokes to demean someones opinions.

I don't think anyone can use the "inho" joke anymore after we've all witnessed Paulinho

I thought Mason did all the jobs expected of him. Was way more impressed with his defensive contributions as he tackled, tracked back and harried his man for 90 minutes. Positionally he seems better than Bentaleb, my only problem was that on a couple of occasions when Rose was dragged wide and the pass was slid through the channel, Mason lost his man which forced Vertonghen out to make the interception.

I thought Mason did all the jobs expected of him. Was way more impressed with his defensive contributions as he tackled, tracked back and harried his man for 90 minutes. Positionally he seems better than Bentaleb, my only problem was that on a couple of occasions when Rose was dragged wide and the pass was slid through the channel, Mason lost his man which forced Vertonghen out to make the interception.

Yep I saw that a few times. Mason tracked his runner, but did a poor job and was lagging behind so as to make little or no difference.

Only one pass but...

[VINE]OKezg5H1mWg[/VINE]

He made passes like this all game - much of what he did would go unnoticed by fans because he gave the ball quickly and incisively.

For example due to that vision and pass, look at how much space erisken found himself in.... We haven't had someone who can do this since Modric left. Normally that ball would have gone back to the centre halves or where it came from. It's no surprise that lamela, chadli and erisken have looked better since mason has played as they are receiving the ball earlier and thus are able to work in more space. It is so obvious he is the type of player we have been crying out for. I thought bentelab could be that guy but he is way too conservative in possession.

No I was there, east upper, weird isn't it :) I really thought he was invisible. I also wasn't a fan at all of bentaleb and everyone used to bang on about him. Glad he's slowly being phased out the first 11, can see the same happening to Mason personally.

Don't you think it's a bit early to make that kind of judgement?

He made passes like this all game - much of what he did would go unnoticed by fans because he gave the ball quickly and incisively.

For example due to that vision and pass, look at how much space erisken found himself in.... We haven't had someone who can do this since Modric left. Normally that ball would have gone back to the centre halves or where it came from. It's no surprise that lamela, chadli and erisken have looked better since mason has played as they are receiving the ball earlier and thus are able to work in more space. It is so obvious he is the type of player we have been crying out for. I thought bentelab could be that guy but he is way too conservative in possession.

Need more of these, will come as Mason plays more regularly and gets used to his team mates. Ade should be benefitting from a new supply line if he knows how to get into space behind the defender.

Mason and Capoue have now played two league games together against decent opposition and look lie a great complimentary pairing.

Mason passes quick and forwards with Capoue offering the ability to break up play. Both won tackles and went forward well today too

Really look good together and Mason reminds me of Modric

This certainly was not the case against Gooners (Capoue was excellent and Mason really was not)...yesterday they performed better as a pairing (again Capoue was excellent and Mason better than his performance against Gooners).

Mason still looks like a potentially very good AMC to me...but as a cm? i need to see more.

PHP:
This certainly was not the case against Gooners (Capoue was excellent and Mason really was not)...yesterday they performed better as a pairing (again Capoue was excellent and Mason better than his performance against Gooners).

Mason still looks like a potentially very good AMC to me...but as a cm? i need to see more.

I thought they do well against arsenal considering they were regularly up against 4 or 5 players

Our attacking 3 didn't help them in that game much at all defensively

He has played 2 games at centre mid against two good to very good sides depending on who you listen too and we have taken 4 points. That's a bloody good start

I just don't get how people couldn't give him at least 7/10 in each game he has played.....

I don't see how you can criticise. He hardly has given the ball away, always looks forward where possible and keeps the ball moving quickly - as a result our tempo has been much better

Also against arsenal he didn't start that well so to come into the game, settle and actually perform
Is respectable.

He looks and is a really good player who deserves a chance and if he can develop into the player people thought he would be then we will be laughing

just keep watching that pass above....exquisite technique, brains and vision, next phase of play already in his head....wonderful stuff my word how we have missed that sort of creativity and vision since modric left.

must not get carried away....its one pass, but from what I have seen already we have someone in mason who can execute a pinpoint pass.

All we need to do is get Bentaleb in and Carrol back and we will have a better midfield than barca did a few years ago:)

Busquets Bentaleb

Xavi Iniesta Mason Carrol

in a few years you never know \o/

Back