• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - Goalkeeper

Who is the best goalkeeper to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In my time supporting Spurs...funnily enough, I'd say Gomes in 09/10. Particularly during the second half of that season - that game against Arsenal where he clawed Judas' header out of the air and saved an unstoppable Van Persie free kick was simply unbelievable. In terms of consistency over a long period, I'd say Lloris, definitely.

The older folks on this forum will say Jennings, and by all accounts he was phenomenally good - it's just that I've never seen him play. :p

I really rated Gomes. Esp as you say in 09/10. Shame how things ended up for him at Spurs.

I really rated Gomes. Esp as you say in 09/10. Shame how things ended up for him at Spurs.

He was truly world class for that season

Funny enough Neil Sullivan was top drawer in his first season too and Keller wasn't bad considering how brick he actually was

Jennings is before my time and Clemence was typical for that era and not great for me.

It would be Hugo for just consistent quality

I'm 30 so I can't really comment on any keepers pre 93-94 season.

Robbo was very good for a good while, this is somewhat forgotten about because his drop in form was so dramatic. The 04-05 and 05-06 seasons he was excellent.
Gomes had the single best season I can remember from a goal keeper in 08/09.
Gotta be Hugo for the win though - consistently world class and definitely one of the best in the whole world let alone the PL.

This is a position where we have had a lot of quality, which something we can't say in other positions. Ditchburn, Brown, Jennings, Clemence, Thorstvedt, and potentially Lloris are Hall of Fame quality. Others such as Parks, Walker, Robinson and Gomes had their moments.

Jennings was our keeper when I became a fan and I haven't seen better. From what I've read on early players, he still comes out top, although I will be later be voting for some players from before my time.

We did have some dross though... Daines, Mimms...

Is my memory playing tricks but wasn't one of the reasons Pat was let go was because of the potential seen in Daines.

Another old codger and anothher vote for Big Pat. Its a position that gets a lot of critisism for example a striker may miss a few chances during a match and everyonbe says never minbd he will probably get a couple in our next game. But if a keeper has a couple of bad gamescin a row they are likely to get dropped.

I have felt sorry for quite a few of our keepers due to some of the crap defences they have had in front of them. For some reason I have always had a liking for Erik Thordsvedt as he always came across as a real gent. I was at his debut against Forest and after about 5 minutes I think he made a huge clanger letting a tame shot from Nigel Clough through his hand to give Forest the lead and if I remember correctly he actually turned round and apologised to the fans behind him. Recently have had a fondness for Friedel even though he was at the end of his career. Again always seems like a real gent. Paul Robinson should get a mention too as one of the few keepers to score a goal for us!

Jennings scored in the Charity Shield.

Yes forgot that against Man U at old trafford when where the charity shield was played was decided by a toss of the coin before it got played at wembly 3-3 was the final score wasn't it?

I remember that Gomes save from Van Perie. One of the best I have seen live. I was right behind it and the ball looked destined for the back of the net until Gomes' hand came out of seemingly nowhere! Happy days.

But Pat is the best I ever saw for Spurs over his time here.

Bobby Mimms, oh I kid, I loved how big Erik commanded his penalty area, very good shot stopper, maybe not the best stats but he's my pick

He was a pansy and used to go down right when we didn't need it and lost momentum. Just for this, he would not be in my top 5.

Like many others, I'm too young to have witnessed the great Jennings in goal. So it's a toss up between Thorstvedt and Lloris for me... probably edging towards the latter.

To think that a great goalie was considered fit for the glue farm at the tender age of 32 back in those days :eek::oops:

I remember that game so well. We lost 2-1 to Nottingham Forest at home. Waddle was man of the match which is rare for a losing player to get the award. I think it was Clough who had a shot outside the area, Erik should have easily dealt with it but it went straight off his hands and in. I think Pearce put a pen away to make it 2-0. But from that point on he was Amazing.

One game up at the old Baseball ground the fans Sang the "I love Erik the Viking, and Erik the Viking" song all the way through half time. He was a very good keeper. But Clemence was a tad better and around longer.

I remember that, he was a cult hero.

Back