• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

I had the best referee I've ever had this weekend gone. The interesting thing was that his judgements were often quite poor. But he was a brilliant communicator. So even the ones he got clearly wrong, he went 'ok lads from my position it looked like X and Y happened', 'I heard two noises so my best interpretation is that it's a throw-in to Z' etc. I've never known a game flow so well or played in such a good spirit.

Basically it just reinforced to me how little the technicalities of the decision matter compared to the relationship with the players, and the value of transparency on fallibility as the way to prevent feelings of injustice

So right, I always found the best refs were prepared to talk with players while the games was flowing, mind you they tended to be on Saturdays were there was a different type of players from Sunday morning.

Basically it just reinforced to me how little the technicalities of the decision matter compared to the relationship with the players, and the value of transparency on fallibility as the way to prevent feelings of injustice

Easy to say when the game you play isnt a billion pound one.

Sunday kick about down the park, just for a laugh is a world away from top level football.

While I agree, good communication really helps things flow, that doesnt mean the actual technicalities dont matter. Getting decisions right is critical.

This weekend!

Wolves should have got a draw (at least)
Liverpool should have won or at least been two up!
(both I'm happy to say would have tinkled me off royally)

Those are just two that stand out/I can remember.

tenor.gif

The death of narrative football

I was at a rugby match the other day and the TMO was absolutely dreadful. No one had a clue what was going on, apart from the half dozen people who forked out the extra £7 for the TMO radio headset (non reusable).

This weekend!

Wolves should have got a draw (at least)
Liverpool should have won or at least been two up!
(both I'm happy to say would have tinkled me off royally)

Those are just two that stand out/I can remember.

i think u should go back to 1888 and compile a list

Pochettino, after Chelsea's bring-your-own VAR suggested Kane was offside after all:

"I don't like the VAR.

"Today we get the benefit of it but after watching the World Cup and another league like La Liga, I see that nobody is happy from day one that they started to use it.

"To get the benefit is nice but I am unhappy to win the game like this.

"We all have to agree - the players, the coaching staff. I watch La Liga every week and nobody is happy, the big clubs and the small clubs. If you are playing to win the title or to stay up, nobody is happy."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46799747

I'm not sure I've ever celebrated an important goal so little. It is a complete passion killer.
If a goal had been scored and you had to wait to see if it was given then yes. But VAR was used to award the penalty, so Kane still had to take the penalty and score so you would have celebrated as normal once Kane scored the penalty surely....

they really need to get a better routine worked out.
the early son penalty claim, did the ref even ask for it to be checked?
was sanchez booked for hazard falling over the ball? surely thats a clear and obviously error?
the lamela one late on, surely that should have been allowed to play on and if he scores then VAR check it? it was at best a 50/50 tussle, whats the point otherwise, you can't restart the game with any advantage to the attacker if the ref has fudged it up.

Back