• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

On the other hand, there is a bit of a gap on the attacking right hand side in United’s squad. It may be very tough.

I was always of the mind that they got
him a year ahead of when we would have ideally sold him, because of his rapid improvement in his last season with us. I’m hoping that because of that, Levy extracted some kind of clause. Cheap buy back with wages covered perhaps. Ahhhh it would just be so sweet. But there have always been rumblings that Woodward loves Bale too...so I guess we’ll see.

Well, if the rumours of Levy haggling Madrid down are true then he's gonna have to start offering them closer to their valuation. Tonight's performance has meant that he's not gonna leave Madrid on a low and I expect the rest of the footballing royalty will be calling his agent tonight if not tomorrow.

We are fortunate that he might prefer a move back to this country, but even then, UTD and Chelsea will be ahead of us.

It’s got Utd written all over it. However some possible positives for us are:

Gareth realises Mou is defensive and attacking players in general seem to be regressing under him.

Gareth prefers London (unlikely as he’s already shown he doesn’t mind getting around).

Gareth is a multi millionaire and realised he can get by on 150k pw as opposed to 250k pw.

We somehow get Gareth in front of Poch and Poch makes a massive impression and wins him over.

Well, if the rumours of Levy haggling Madrid down are true then he's gonna have to start offering them closer to their valuation. Tonight's performance has meant that he's not gonna leave Madrid on a low and I expect the rest of the footballing royalty will be calling his agent tonight if not tomorrow.

We are fortunate that he might prefer a move back to this country, but even then, UTD and Chelsea will be ahead of us.

Chelsea won’t be ahead of us. What makes you say that?? Nothing about their strategy for the last couple of years suggests they would even make the play for him. If anything I can see Hazard going to Madrid to replace Bale.

I can see it being a tug of war with United, and we’d have to get creative about how we win the deal. But unfortunately I can see them pushing hard for him as a front line of Bale, Sanchez, Lukaku and Pogba in behind sounds very complete. On the other hand, we play better football, and Bale would have the opportunity to literally be the man. The man who puts us on a bigger commercial plain, our Neymar almost.

It would be so damn romantic if he came back. Probably most likely though is United get Bale and we get Martial. If they also get Toby as well that’s a scary good summer for them. I hope Levy has some tricks up his sleeve.

Any club changing their transfer targets based on one game deserve to get burnt.

Those saying Bale's not good enough for us anymore about a week ago, still true to their proclamation? What. A. Goal! Has to go down as the best CL final goal? Technically perfect, not like Roney's shinned overhead goal.

United have to be favorites if he's wanted there. They can just outspend us. We should push the price for them though. If United are not in the frame, then why not? Bale may not be as explosive with his pace as he once was, but technically he's better than he has ever been.

Those saying Bale's not good enough for us anymore about a week ago, still true to their proclamation? What. A. Goal! Has to go down as the best CL final goal? Technically perfect, not like Roney's shinned overhead goal.

United have to be favorites if he's wanted there. They can just outspend us. We should push the price for them though. If United are not in the frame, then why not? Bale may not be as explosive with his pace as he once was, but technically he's better than he has ever been.
I don't think anyone said Bale is not good enough for us. Most are questioning whether it's reasonable to make a huge financial commitment on a 29-year old with not the best injury record, who has maybe 2-3 good years left, instead of spending the cash on a couple of up-and-coming stars (e.g. a Pulisic and a Martial).

Yes, saw that as well. Probably only seen him 3-5 times however has always stood out. Does feel like he'd be a good signing and at a price which, relative to others, would be sensible.

Somewhat as an aside, we're not a million miles off having a problem with number of overseas players though and the stronger links seem to be with more (de Ligt, martial etc). I don't see why we waste spot with overseas reserve keepers given that they barely get on; personally, I'd replace Vorm with AN Other

Totally agreed. If we do go with Pau Lopez on a free this summer (or hell, even if we just keep Vorm), that's unnecessarily restricting our homegrown spots for no good reason by having three foreign keepers.

I wouldn't mind Ben Foster from West Brom, tbh. Safe pair of hands, has always done fairly well against us, and wouldn't cost a bomb.

No they won't be. You're falling for the same line as everyone did with Poch - that money is the solitary factor. There is more to it with these sorts.

I don't think anyone said Bale is not good enough for us. Most are questioning whether it's reasonable to make a huge financial commitment on a 29-year old with not the best injury record, who has maybe 2-3 good years left, instead of spending the cash on a couple of up-and-coming stars (e.g. a Pulisic and a Martial).

Yes. It is reasonable.
It is about impact, and if in that 2-3 years he drives us to silverware (I believe he would) then he will embrace a thousand Pulisic's...(cue memes)...

Totally agreed. If we do go with Pau Lopez on a free this summer (or hell, even if we just keep Vorm), that's unnecessarily restricting our homegrown spots for no good reason by having three foreign keepers.

I wouldn't mind Ben Foster from West Brom, tbh. Safe pair of hands, has always done fairly well against us, and wouldn't cost a bomb.
That's a good shout, if he's happy to play second fiddle to Lloris then Foster would be an excellent choice.

I’m not sure how his body would hold up to mopos training, let alone tactics

I think that is the crux of where we are as a club. What is over level of ambition? Levy would favour this more conservative way or signing younger players, its what has served us well so far. But there comes a point where you need to stop just developing players and buy ready to play quality if you can. Is that what Poch is thinking too?

Just use Whiteman as 3rd choice. Gazzaniga is only on the books because of nepotism

Just use Whiteman as 3rd choice. Gazzaniga is only on the books because of nepotism

I think that is more likely that he's here because we needed a third choice keeper and he was obtainable. We're not going to be using Whiteman as our third keeper next season.

Back