• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Southern Rail

So the strike continues and I enjoy the lively debate, so all bias aside how do you see this ending if at all?
Prior to the Junior Dr strike I would have fancied the chances of the Unions to get some changes. After what happened to the Dr.s' the government really do not give a F*ck, there is only one winner here and it is not the Train drivers / Guards. Predict a lot more strikes next year, possibly change in strike laws and a worse deal than the one currently being offered.

The big loser will be those that have no other real choice but commute on the trains.

Do you see the Union getting more hardcore in the coming weeks? In 12 months I have noticed it more in last 3 months than at the start? I get the sense that its now getting to the business end but could be wrong?

Am I right in thinking that regardless if the strikes DOO is coming into operation anyway? I thought i read that somewhere, so does that mean they go on strike but then go back to work in the conditions they are fighting against? Except on 12 carriage trains?

In reference to the "worse deal than the one currently being offered" do you think its a case that the longer it goes on the more chance Southern have to work on plan B to circumnavigate the strikes?

Do you see the Union getting more hardcore in the coming weeks? In 12 months I have noticed it more in last 3 months than at the start? I get the sense that its now getting to the business end but could be wrong?

Am I right in thinking that regardless if the strikes DOO is coming into operation anyway? I thought i read that somewhere, so does that mean they go on strike but then go back to work in the conditions they are fighting against? Except on 12 carriage trains?

In reference to the "worse deal than the one currently being offered" do you think its a case that the longer it goes on the more chance Southern have to work on plan B to circumnavigate the strikes?
Yep worse than now - both sides are entrenched, backing down will decide the way forwards on all negotiations not only this one. Could see other lines being effected, not sure about the legal side of that but there will be "support strikes" on a different pretense to excuse it.

as it stands DOO is coming in regardless, only tool in their locker are more strikes or total walkouts for longer periods of time unless the threat is removed. As with the Dr can only see new terms being brought in regardless.

I don't see any plan to circumnavigate the strikes being a success unless the law is changed, in the short term Govia will just sit it out as they are not massively financially effected. II see it being long and drawn out with the Govt winning (as they really don't give a fck) - commuters lives will be made hell, when the strikers finally come back to the table (as they must as they will be unpaid) they will be offered a deal that is not so generous.

Govia are not really effected as they get paid a management fee regardless, the Govt are not really effected as they are winning the next election regardless (and they can point to the strikers as Corbyn's fault as he will support the action). Regardless of whether you agree with the Tories or not, the lack of a viable alternative means that they can do all of the things they would not be able to do if they were worried about elections - this is being seen across the board.

Brighton to London season ticket increasing by over a 100 quid a year.

The wife has to travel up to work. I'm lucky I only go for the football.

Brighton to London season ticket increasing by over a 100 quid a year.

The wife has to travel up to work. I'm lucky I only go for the football.

I pay £60 return to go from Dorset - Waterloo when I take the train for Spurs games (which I rarely do at that price - I normally drive). Flew return to Belfast from Bristol last week for £42. The rail fares in this country are a scandal, as is public transport in general.

I pay £60 return to go from Dorset - Waterloo when I take the train for Spurs games (which I rarely do at that price - I normally drive). Flew return to Belfast from Bristol last week for £42. The rail fares in this country are a scandal, as is public transport in general.

Old guy I know who drinks in my local went to Saudi Sportswashing Machine last week to visit his son. Said he could not afford the train, did not tell me how much it cost but he then told me the coach from Brighton to Saudi Sportswashing Machine was 14 hours which sound fudging mental to me.

Yeah train journeys are to much money for what you get and the is not even enough cushions on the seat.

Old guy I know who drinks in my local went to Saudi Sportswashing Machine last week to visit his son. Said he could not afford the train, did not tell me how much it cost but he then told me the coach from Brighton to Saudi Sportswashing Machine was 14 hours which sound fudging mental to me.

Yeah train journeys are to much money for what you get and the is not even enough cushions on the seat.
Mrs had to go London this morning. £71 return Havant to Waterloo. She had to sit on the floor on the way home...the 7pm train was packed.

Mrs had to go London this morning. £71 return Havant to Waterloo. She had to sit on the floor on the way home...the 7pm train was packed.

When I go up to meet my friend I do the cheap day return which means you have to travel back after 7pm. That first train after 7 is packed. Not always possible to do that if your a commuter though.

I think I paid 22 to go from shoreham by sea to London bridge 3 weeks ago. Trick is to go after 9 in the morning and say you have a network rail card.

When I go up to meet my friend I do the cheap day return which means you have to travel back after 7pm. That first train after 7 is packed. Not always possible to do that if your a commuter though.

I think I paid 22 to go from shoreham by sea to London bridge 3 weeks ago. Trick is to go after 9 in the morning and say you have a network rail card.
We normally try and organise things like you suggest , get the first cheap train in the morning (after 930ish) and when coming back later have dinner before getting the train back so to get those cheaper late trains. Work doesn't always allow for this though.

As for going up for the footie...I always dread looking at the trains in advance as Southern (or SouthWest) have endless engineering works at the weekends meaning a 90 Min journey turns into a 2.5 hour journey with some soul destroying bus replacement service. There has even been Sat or Sun where both Southern AND South West have EWorks.:mad:

I suppose at least I have the option of another operator, unlike you?

When you are on the cheap tickets it is good value, and I'd rather do the train than drive.

We normally try and organise things like you suggest , get the first cheap train in the morning (after 930ish) and when coming back later have dinner before getting the train back so to get those cheaper late trains. Work doesn't always allow for this though.

As for going up for the footie...I always dread looking at the trains in advance as Southern (or SouthWest) have endless engineering works at the weekends meaning a 90 Min journey turns into a 2.5 hour journey with some soul destroying bus replacement service. There has even been Sat or Sun where both Southern AND South West have EWorks.:mad:

I suppose at least I have the option of another operator, unlike you?

When you are on the cheap tickets it is good value, and I'd rather do the train than drive.
I had pretty much 10 years of weekend engineering works on my line, thankfully they are pretty much done now

Back