• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

When you run a football club, business decisions are football decisons and vice versa.

Without selling Berbatov, we might never have been able to get Modric.

Interesting seeing as we signed Modric 4 months before Berbatov left (and before the window even opened).

I'm also not saying we shouldn't have sold Berbatov. Just that, in his drive to get the absolute maximum possible on the business side, he fudged the football side and wasted a whole season.

I’m in the south stand row 26 to the left of the goal

their are some moany moany bell ends who think we can do no wrong on the pitch and everything wrong ofd it

I also am on a few what’s app groups of spurs fans through fan clubs and away games and again the negativity could charge a battery

Their all the same fans who wanted short term fixes at crazy money like Cavani

but as I said earlier it’s all opinions

the club made their calls based on what they knew and thought at the time

But what does that have to do with the crux of the matter? 'They'd riot if we brought in someone like Ighalo for 6 months"

-They've gone through much worse at the club and, more fool them, continue to pour their time and money into it
-I can't remember the last time Spurs fans conducted any kind of sustained protests or pressure
-I can't imagine most fans prefer Moura upfront vs someone more suited to Mourinho's tactical style
-Perhaps most importantly, even if those fans did 'riot', when has Levy ever shown the slightest inclination to care what the fans think?

Interesting seeing as we signed Modric 4 months before Berbatov left (and before the window even opened).

I'm also not saying we shouldn't have sold Berbatov. Just that, in his drive to get the absolute maximum possible on the business side, he fudged the football side and wasted a whole season.
That doesn't mean the two weren't related. There's no way Berbatov wanting to leave came as a surprise on the last day of the window.

That doesn't mean the two weren't related. There's no way Berbatov wanting to leave came as a surprise on the last day of the window.
It wasn’t a surprise no. That’s why it was so strange that Levy waited until the final hours of the window to sell him and not sign a replacement.

But what does that have to do with the crux of the matter? 'They'd riot if we bought in someone like Ighalo for 6 months"

-They've gone through much worse at the club and, more fool them, continue to pour their time and money into it
-I can't remember the last time Spurs fans conducted any kind of sustained protests or pressure
-I can't imagine most fans prefer Moura upfront vs someone more suited to Mourinho's tactical style
-Perhaps most importantly, even if those fans did 'riot', when has Levy ever shown the slightest inclination to care what the fans think?
We barely made a whimper when we sold a genius in Berbatov on deadline day and replaced him with Frazier Campbell on loan (without even an option). We merely shook our heads and tutted when we sold a maestro in Carrick and replaced him with Didier Zokora. I can’t see there being even a minor quarrel, let alone a riot, because we sell nobody and sign Ighalo on loan.

Last edited:
You're recollection of our fans' reaction to that is very different to mine.
You think if we signed Ighalo on loan there would’ve been anything other than a bit of contentment that we actually had a center forward?... Or perhaps a bit of apathy at worst. I doubt any cars would’ve been set alight.

It wasn’t a surprise no. That’s why it was so strange that Levy waited until the final hours of the window to sell him and not sign a replacement.
Or maybe it took until the end of the window to get the deal done. There are (at least) two parties in any deal and we don't get to unilaterally state the terms.

You're recollection of our fans' reaction to that is very different to mine.

I wouldn't say so to be honest and I imagine the difference comes from differing perceptions on what a riot or a whimper is.

What exactly did our fanbase do to all of the above? Did they stop going to games? Stop purchasing stuff from the club shop? Organise mass protests against ENIC outside the stadium on match days? Large scale chanting of Levy out or other such nonsense?

No. With all of those, people gnashed their teeth (rightly) on the net. A few people grumbled in the grounds. People rolled their eyes. A few nutjobs made Levy out signs but were an exceedingly small minority.

And the rest? They carried on doing what they'll carry on doing, whether we're league champions or relegated to League one. They turn up, pay their money and get out.

You think if we signed Ighalo on loan there would’ve been anything other than a bit of contentment that we actually had a center forward?... Or perhaps a bit of apathy at worst. I doubt any cars would’ve been set alight.

I think that there would have been a load of whining online and groaning in the stadium. Standard Spurs.

Nope, wasn't a surprise and again, not saying we should have tried to keep him.

I am saying that accepting Man Utd's widely reported on offer of 22 million I believe near the beginning of the window

Business wise? We won and made an extra 8 million.

Football wise? We lost two of our most important players. Replaced them with a one tournament wonder and a kid on loan. We fudged up the squad for Ramos and paid money to have him and his team fired. We had to spend money to hire Redknapp and spend money to bring in his players. And ended up outside of Europe. We wasted an entire season essentially to make an extra 8 million and get one over on Man Utd.

Seeing as Modric was 16.5 million, I imagine the initial 22 million would have probably covered it. And the loss of money the following season from being out of Europe (gate income, TV, prize money) as well as prize money from finishing a few positions higher in the league and the loss of money from the firings and hirings...I imagine that 8 million probably disappeared really quite quickly.

As for your two parties in a deal, that is true. Unfortunately, at times, you have to appreciate your hand. It reminded me of a time when I was living and working in Australia and had to sell my car before coming back out. I wanted a certain amount but had only a week to sell it. Would it have been a good decision to hold out for the extra $1000, miss my flight and have to spend more money booking a new flight, a hotel room for those extra night or two etc?

No, probably not.

I wouldn't say so to be honest and I imagine the difference comes from differing perceptions on what a riot or a whimper is.

What exactly did our fanbase do to all of the above? Did they stop going to games? Stop purchasing stuff from the club shop? Organise mass protests against ENIC outside the stadium on match days? Large scale chanting of Levy out or other such nonsense?

No. With all of those, people gnashed their teeth (rightly) on the net. A few people grumbled in the grounds. People rolled their eyes. A few nutjobs made Levy out signs but were an exceedingly small minority.

And the rest? They carried on doing what they'll carry on doing, whether we're league champions or relegated to League one. They turn up, pay their money and get out.

You're right in the reaction. I'd say that was a little more than a whipper. Boycotting games would be a massive overreaction to an unfortunate blip on an otherwise upward trajectory, the same as our position now.

Nope, wasn't a surprise and again, not saying we should have tried to keep him.

I am saying that accepting Man Utd's widely reported on offer of 22 million I believe near the beginning of the window

Business wise? We won and made an extra 8 million.

Football wise? We lost two of our most important players. Replaced them with a one tournament wonder and a kid on loan. We fudged up the squad for Ramos and paid money to have him and his team fired. We had to spend money to hire Redknapp and spend money to bring in his players. And ended up outside of Europe. We wasted an entire season essentially to make an extra 8 million and get one over on Man Utd.

Seeing as Modric was 16.5 million, I imagine the initial 22 million would have probably covered it. And the loss of money the following season from being out of Europe (gate income, TV, prize money) as well as prize money from finishing a few positions higher in the league and the loss of money from the firings and hirings...I imagine that 8 million probably disappeared really quite quickly.

As for your two parties in a deal, that is true. Unfortunately, at times, you have to appreciate your hand. It reminded me of a time when I was living and working in Australia and had to sell my car before coming back out. I wanted a certain amount but had only a week to sell it. Would it have been a good decision to hold out for the extra $1000, miss my flight and have to spend more money booking a new flight, a hotel room for those extra night or two etc?

No, probably not.
That would entirely depend on your need for the extra £1K.

I wouldn't hold out for it, no. If it was the difference between me making a mortgage payment or not then I might. We don't have money to throw away, we haven't for decades.

You're right in the reaction. I'd say that was a little more than a whipper. Boycotting games would be a massive overreaction to an unfortunate blip on an otherwise upward trajectory, the same as our position now.

What do you remember the reaction being and what gives you the impression that Levy cared or has ever cared about it?

I'm trying to think of any mass protests organised by fans of PL clubs in the recent past. Arsenal vs Kroenke and Wenger. Liverpool vs G&H. Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Ashley.

The reality is that none of them have had even the slightest impact. Wenger only went when he finally finished outside of the CL places. Kroenke is still in place, leeching off the club. G&H only left when forced out by the banks. And Ashley remains.

That would entirely depend on your need for the extra £1K.

I wouldn't hold out for it, no. If it was the difference between me making a mortgage payment or not then I might. We don't have money to throw away, we haven't for decades.

But this is exactly my point. You need the 1k to make the mortgage payment but in your desperation to make it, you've ended up having to spend more money. I get the 1k and then have to spend 2k to make it back to the UK. How is that intelligent?

We made 8 million and lost likely more due to the ridiculous season we ended up having.

Or maybe it took until the end of the window to get the deal done. There are (at least) two parties in any deal and we don't get to unilaterally state the terms.
I don’t doubt that Levy got an extra £2 million for us. The saga probably cost us more than that in terms of our season though.

What do you remember the reaction being and what gives you the impression that Levy cared or has ever cared about it?

I'm trying to think of any mass protests organised by fans of PL clubs in the recent past. Arsenal vs Kroenke and Wenger. Liverpool vs G&H. Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Ashley.

The reality is that none of them have had even the slightest impact. Wenger only went when he finally finished outside of the CL places. Kroenke is still in place, leeching off the club. G&H only left when forced out by the banks. And Ashley remains.

I don't think that Levy cared.

I think that you are misunderstanding my point. @Finney Is Back said that there was barely a whimper, I think that there was but there is a gulf between more than a whimper and mass fan protests. I know that nuance often gets lost on the internet.

I think that you are misunderstanding my point. @Finney Is Back said that there was barely a whimper, I think that there was but there is a gulf between more than a whimper and mass fan protests. I know that nuance often gets lost on the internet.

In terms of Levy's world though, it was barely a whimper.

For a giant, it was as impactful as a fly buzzing around your nose. People carried on turning up. They spent their money. They mostly sat quietly in the stadium. They didn't protest.

What exactly registered as more than a whimper for him?

Of course online there was something (though as with everything, some people tried to see the bright side) but for Levy this was insignificant. And ultimately, this is who we're talking about.

Some old blokes moaned in the West stand. A few people raged on the internet. I think that was about the grand sum of it. When you consider that do you really think signing Ighalo on loan would’ve caused even a ripple?

Back