1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Serge Aurier

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by milo, 31 Aug 2017.

1. mjc23

mjc23 Sebastien Bassong

He personally wanted to earn a brick load more money?

Jon likes this.
  2. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Vedran Corluka

I think we should probably cease with the foul throw rhetoric now. He had 3 of them in a single game but I don't recall any since.

I thought it was remarkable how much better we looked this weekend when finally having a right back on the pitch who was prepared to give us attacking width. Aurier's starting position was high and wide, this didn't allow Van Arnholt to defend the centre, opening up huge amounts of space in the middle that I thought Son exploited excellently (often being found by very good, quick, line breaking passes from Sissoko).

I thought that after a shaky start in 2017/18, Aurier gave our best right performances last season but was unlucky with injury. He is now clearly the best right back in our squad by quite a considerable margin and needs to play until his performance is sub-standard enough to get him dropped and one of KYP or Foyth steps in and does better (although I don't see either of them doing so).

3. Finney Is Back

I don't think TAA is too far ahead of KWP really. The ability of the two players is probably reasonably similar. KWP could do with experience that comes through playing. That's why IMO he really should've been out on loan last season when we had two proper reasonably experienced fullbacks in the squad. Now we're asking him to learn as he plays and that may cost us a few points here and there.

4. Finney Is Back

First season in England for a player from a league overseas I would always tend to ignore. Last season I thought Aurier's performances were actually good, there just weren't enough of them due to injury.

Mosquito_Coasting and StephenH like this.
  5. JerusalemMan

JerusalemMan Milija Aleksic

We may never know what's going on in his personal life, whether there really is a situation that could have been served by leaving England.

6. fernadez

fernadez Ilie Dumitrescu

Think he was falsely accused of domestic violence last year.

Would explain him wanting to leave. If he's now resolved he's issues at home and stays fit, the position is he's to lose.

7. Jon

Jon Edgar Davids

Sorry, but I maintain it was a fair comment in the context of the entire post and the overall points raised. A post which started with “I do feel happier having a proper right back (Aurier) there now”!

Incidentally, can anyone name a player who’s on two foul throws?....

8. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Colin Calderwood

Defensively TAA still has loads to learn but his crosses are different class. He consistently pings great passes and crosses to the box, sometimes fro the halfway line!

On the whole I agree Aurier is the best right back. The only question marks I have are his character and fitness.

El Guepardo likes this.
  9. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Colin Calderwood

TAA is a great footballing RB. Yeah he has a weakness defensively and can get caught out but his attacking side is truly world class for his position

Aurier unfortunately has no part of his name as TAA level IMO

10. Mosquito_Coasting

Mosquito_Coasting Pascal Chimbonda

Also physically he’s light years ahead.

harr1984 and Kandi1977 like this.
  11. Finney Is Back

I disagree. The foul throw thing happened in a single game and hasn't happened since. That suggests to me that he doesn't have massive ability to sod it all up again next time he plays, with successions of foul throws. It suggests that he has made a conscious effort to improve that aspect.

Jon likes this.
  12. Jon

Jon Edgar Davids

If he does another one, any time, ever in the future now, you owe me a pint! ;-)

13. LemonadeMoney

LemonadeMoney Pedro Mendes

Has he taken one since?

Jon likes this.
  14. Finney Is Back

He may well give away another foul throw at some point in his Spurs career, just as Foyth may give away another penalty or get sent off within a minute of coming on, but I'm less worried about Aurier doing something stupid than Foyth.

15. StephenH

StephenH Steffen Freund

Now you've really done it to Serge.

Craig_J and Jon like this.
  16. Jon

Jon Edgar Davids

Pint.

17. parklane1

parklane1 Chris Jones

I am amazed how many players make foul throws ( if you watch it happens in all games), i know three in one game is a lot but i really think that he took far too much slagging for it. (imo)

18. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Jimmy McCormick

This sums it up. His defensive concentration is fundamental. Historically he’s lapsed in defensive focus/awareness/concentration.

Going forward he’s got zip, if he can add defensive concentration he’s the boy. His athleticism is good. His commitment is good, just having that defensive vision as it were to see what’s brewing and where to position himself - that is what has been missing. Add that and he’s potentially a top full back. Fail to add it, and he’s a liability.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

19. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Colin Calderwood

In the same game their full backs did as many and only got pulled up on one

20. parklane1

parklane1 Chris Jones

Yep, it amazing how players get away with so often in todays game. Maybe VAR should be used for throw ins alone instead of fudging up the harder decisions and wasting every ones time. ;)

Bedfordspurs likes this.