• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

i was worried after his other start(s) this season where he looked the same as last year but hopefully this is a sign of things to come - there were a couple of moments still where he seemed to drift in to the middle leaving his man in acres of space but on the whole he done well. worth noting he wasn't paired up with Sissoko for a change too

He has been poor is some games i agree, however he has only played 20 odd games for us since signing and adapting to playing in a much harder Lge while also getting used to living in a different country. Some players adapt a lot quicker that others and i hope we give him more games.

As for Trippier i agree, he is good against teams that do not attack quickly but struggles against the better players who run at him.

Where I worry about Aurier is not that he’s been poor in a lot of games. That can happen for all the reasons you mention above. It’s been the consistent tinkle poor decision making and screwing up the basics. The two yellows against Wet Spam, the stupid tackles that resulted in penos against Juve, Real and Brighton, the foul throws against Palace. That he did all that in 20 odd games is scary.

I loved his performance last night but he has a way to go yet. Dean Austin was my idol as a kid (I know, I know). Even he had great games - I had mates coming up congratulating me on him destroying Giggs in the 4-1 on NYD 1996. I’m not suggesting Aurier is Dean Austin but the weight of evidence suggests he’s a liability so he’ll need a few more games like last night to turn my opinion of him.

Where I worry about Aurier is not that he’s been poor in a lot of games. That can happen for all the reasons you mention above. It’s been the consistent tinkle poor decision making and screwing up the basics. The two yellows against Wet Spam, the stupid tackles that resulted in penos against Juve, Real and Brighton, the foul throws against Palace. That he did all that in 20 odd games is scary.

I loved his performance last night but he has a way to go yet. Dean Austin was my idol as a kid (I know, I know). Even he had great games - I had mates coming up congratulating me on him destroying Giggs in the 4-1 on NYD 1996. I’m not suggesting Aurier is Dean Austin but the weight of evidence suggests he’s a liability so he’ll need a few more games like last night to turn my opinion of him.
In Dean Austin’s first few years with us he absolutely was superb!! He and Anderton in front of him had a great partnership. He was pretty terrible the 2nd half of his career with us though.

In Dean Austin’s first few years with us he absolutely was superb!! He and Anderton in front of him had a great partnership. He was pretty terrible the 2nd half of his career with us though.

Once he broke his leg against Oldham, he lost something he never got back. SF v The Scum in 93, he was outstanding as well. It was those types of performances that made me worship him long after he deteriorated.

Aurier had a really good game last night, so that is +1.

He has had 10 really bad games for us, so that is -10.

Net -9.

So overall he has a long way to go to get back to zero

Trippier seems to have been lifted to a level he’s not actually at.

He’s a solid squad player, but nowhere near as good as the WC hype was

I would give Serge a proper run in the team
This. It was England.

He has a good cross on him if given time. We saw that in the world cup. Not so much before and not so much after. The world cup is a one off competition and has little similarities to the EPL,from the perspective of player demands.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I used to get my hair cut when I was a kid at Dean Austin’s Dad’s barbers in Boxmoor (Hemel Hempstead), Dean used to live in Hemel when he playing for Spurs and Darren Anderton lived on the same street too.

Net -9.

It doesnt work like that in reality. For starters that wasnt his first good game, if you choose to count all his bad games you have to tally his good games too.

And more importantly this is the start of his second full season with us, and the one that you would expect him to kick on if he was ever going to. He put in a great assist at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, and after this performance there are good signs. Ive said from day one he looks like he has all the attributes to be an ideal full back for us, hes had his bedding in period and now is the season Id expect him to start delivering....

Net -9.

Looked absolutely the dogs gonads until allowing Asamoah the freedom of the San Siro down the right on 85 mins. The rest is best forgotten.

Agree he was good for most of the match, but let’s not forget it was his man who scored the winner from the corner...

Looked absolutely the dogs gonads until allowing Asamoah the freedom of the San Siro down the right on 85 mins. The rest is best forgotten.

I’ll defend him on this one. When the Inter player who passed to Asamoah was running forward, Serge had a choice to mark Asamoah or hold his ground to ensure there wasn’t a gaping hole that gave the Inter lad a clear path to our goal. He did the right thing.

Leaving the hole was riskier because it could have led to a shot or them being very close to our goal. Letting Asamoah swing in a cross gets defended well most times. The problem, for me, is that we didn’t have our right sided midfielder covering Asamoah.

As it was happening, I remember thinking “well done Serge for not charging around like a headless chicken.” Sadly they scored a great goal from the cross that I still think Vertonghen should have stopped.

I’ll defend him on this one. When the Inter player who passed to Asamoah was running forward, Serge had a choice to mark Asamoah or hold his ground to ensure there wasn’t a gaping hole that gave the Inter lad a clear path to our goal. He did the right thing.

Leaving the hole was riskier because it could have led to a shot or them being very close to our goal. Letting Asamoah swing in a cross gets defended well most times. The problem, for me, is that we didn’t have our right sided midfielder covering Asamoah.

As it was happening, I remember thinking “well done Serge for not charging around like a headless chicken.” Sadly they scored a great goal from the cross that I still think Vertonghen should have stopped.
Sorry just watched it again and have to say that is totally wrong.

As the attack develops with Viceno carrying the ball forward from the halfway line he's being tracked by two Tottenham players.

Meanwhile Davinson and Aurier are both marking Inter's Balde, who is on his own around the edge of the box, there is no other Milan player anywhere near.

At this point Asamoah starts to make a run down the right flank totally unmarked, but instead of going out towards him, leaving Davinson to take care of Balde, Aurier first makes a half-hearted attempt to go towards Viceno even though he already has two Tottenham players tracking him.

By this time Asamoah is in acres of space down the right flank. That is Aurier's territory and his responsibility but he's too busy ball-watching. Viceno then sees Asamoah totally unmarked and passes the ball out to him. It's only then that Aurier starts towards Asamoah but it is already too late, the Milan LWB has time to size up his cross / pass to Icardi for the striker to blast it into the net.

Sorry just watched it again and have to say that is totally wrong.

As the attack develops with Viceno carrying the ball forward from the halfway line he's being tracked by two Tottenham players.

Meanwhile Davinson and Aurier are both marking Inter's Balde, who is on his own around the edge of the box, there is no other Milan player anywhere near.

At this point Asamoah starts to make a run down the right flank totally unmarked, but instead of going out towards him, leaving Davinson to take care of Balde, Aurier first makes a half-hearted attempt to go towards Viceno even though he already has two Tottenham players tracking him.

By this time Asamoah is in acres of space down the right flank. That is Aurier's territory and his responsibility but he's too busy ball-watching. Viceno then sees Asamoah totally unmarked and passes the ball out to him. It's only then that Aurier starts towards Asamoah but it is already too late, the Milan LWB has time to size up his cross / pass to Icardi for the striker to blast it into the net.

Watched it again and have to say I disagree. The two Spurs players tracking Viceno (Dembele and Winks I think) are the wrong side of him. They’re playing catch up. So he’s running towards our goal with two players in pursuit with Sanchez marking Balde. If Aurier moves at that point, Viceno either has a gap to run into or has a big space to play in Balde who at that stage is making a diagonal run with Sanchez tracking him.

Aurier doesn’t allow Viceno that space by holding his position and only moves to Asamoah when Viceno plays the ball to him. That’s exactly what I’d want him to do. It’s the lack of someone covering the right side of the pitch that’s the problem for me.

Attachments

• D4AC739E-2A88-4509-988C-132AFBD5BA37.png
    D4AC739E-2A88-4509-988C-132AFBD5BA37.png
    359.7 KB · Views: 17
Watched it again and have to say I disagree. The two Spurs players tracking Viceno (Dembele and Winks I think) are the wrong side of him. They’re playing catch up. So he’s running towards our goal with two players in pursuit with Sanchez marking Balde. If Aurier moves at that point, Viceno either has a gap to run into or has a big space to play in Balde who at that stage is making a diagonal run with Sanchez tracking him.

Aurier doesn’t allow Viceno that space by holding his position and only moves to Asamoah when Viceno plays the ball to him. That’s exactly what I’d want him to do. It’s the lack of someone covering the right side of the pitch that’s the problem for me.
Sorry still cannot agree. It's not as even though Aurier makes any attempt to deal with Viceno. He doesn't even get near him. His man should clearly have been Asamoah but he gave him the freedom of the park, it's just too ridiculous for words.

Not saying Aurier the only one at fault though. Dembele tries to track Viceno but is outpaced and drops off. Winks, who is facing Viceno as he approaches, is caught wrong-footed and is painfully slow to turn. As this is all going on Dier, who at the start of the move is close to Icardi, completely abandons him leaving him all alone in a dangerous area just outside the D. Icardi should have been his man.

A veritable catalogue of errors.

Sorry still cannot agree. It's not as even though Aurier makes any attempt to deal with Viceno. He doesn't even get near him. His man should clearly have been Asamoah but he gave him the freedom of the park, it's just too ridiculous for words.

Not saying Aurier the only one at fault though. Dembele tries to track Viceno but is outpaced and drops off. Winks, who is facing Viceno as he approaches, is caught wrong-footed and is painfully slow to turn. As this is all going on Dier, who at the start of the move is close to Icardi, completely abandons him leaving him all alone in a dangerous area just outside the D. Icardi should have been his man.

A veritable catalogue of errors.

As I see it, there are 3 possibilities for danger that Aurier has to deal with once Viceno has got goal side of Winks and Dembélé:

1. Leaving space Viceno to play Balde in with a pass
2. Allowing Viceno to drive on to our box
3. Asamoah getting the ball and crossing

Aurier can’t cut off all 3. The first two are the most dangerous as they are closer to our goal so he plays the percentages and cuts those two options off.

I’d hold Aurier more responsible for the winner although there are 2 or 3 others who also let themselves down with that goal.

Fair enough if you don’t agree. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Back