• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

Sissoko mainly plays on the right for us though. Not a position I've seen Barkley in I must admit, but not one I see him as particularly suited for.

Part of why I don't quite get this transfer, should it happen. His best role so far is the #10 role Alli fills for us so brilliantly. For that role we have Eriksen too. Two players clearly better there than Barkley at this point. Someone more natural in the wide roles would make more sense to me. Allowing Eriksen to move centrally to cover for Alli if needed, whilst providing natural competition and cover for Son and Lamela. The competition and cover it was claimed Sissoko would bring, but so far hasn't delivered on.

Take the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game as an example. What was needed on our bench was never a #10. Son as the natural starter for Sissoko when fit, but what is then needed on the bench? Wide options...

I get that. I meant his place in the squad rather than his position on the pitch.

I get that. I meant his place in the squad rather than his position on the pitch.
Aren't those related?

If Sissoko leaves that's Lamela as a natural on the right. Son and Eriksen both thrive on the left. Alli and Eriksen thrive as the CAM. Son can play on the right, Eriksen can play on the right. Who knows what, if anything, GKN ends up excelling at.

Bring a natural CAM into that mix and it doesn't seem like a good fit to me. And that affects his role in the squad. Game time, sub appearances etc...

Aren't those related?

If Sissoko leaves that's Lamela as a natural on the right. Son and Eriksen both thrive on the left. Alli and Eriksen thrive as the CAM. Son can play on the right, Eriksen can play on the right. Who knows what, if anything, GKN ends up excelling at.

Bring a natural CAM into that mix and it doesn't seem like a good fit to me. And that affects his role in the squad. Game time, sub appearances etc...

You're reading too much into it. I was being a little facetious.

Well, his hamstring tear might be a two-three month job in terms of recuperation, which when coupled with his already interrupted pre-season means that probably won't be fully up to speed until January at the least.

We could drop our interest in signing him this window as a result, which would perhaps be the safer choice - but that runs the risk of allowing a greater range of clubs to enter the war for his services come January, when he'll be allowed to negotiate with other clubs prior to leaving on a free next July. Alternately, we could press to sign him now regardless, which would be likelier to succeed now that he's less likely to interest anybody else - and it would probably be cheaper to do so. Plus we get brownie points with Barkley himself by demonstrating our determination to sign him regardless, etcetera, although that's only an ephemeral benefit.

Interesting to see where we go with this one now.

Ive just seen comments from Koeman saying they dont know how bad it is and will be doing more tests.

Which made me wonder if it wasnt a bit of transferitits, rather than anything serious?

If he's out for 6 weeks that's a massive blow. I see him as perfect cover for Alli's suspension when CL starts in September
Blimey! A massive blow is if Alli breaks his leg kicking Kane's right leg clean off. This is the opposite of a massive blow. It is a bit of a result as it reduces the cost / means we can get someone better suited to our team.

Grade 3 hamstring tear means he won't be playing much before Xmas combined with him not being anywhere near match fit even before he injured himself.

Would be a huge gamble, although he doesn't rely on his pace a hamstring is a bad injury (thinking Owen). Could however get him cheap, bring him back to fitness over the next 3-4 months and have a squad boost at a time of year when we would probably need it.

I'm also of the opinion that his future position is something similar to Dembele's.

Levy will wait till Jan i reckon.....he wont want to pay 100k a week for 3 months for whilst Barkley is recovering. Sign him in Jan, 1.6 mill in wages saved, plus Everton will have to sell him for a real knockdown fee

IF the injury is that bad, yes I agree. Would make sense to just let him recover with Everton and buy him for relative peanuts in Jan. We would run the risk of another team getting in on the move as well thought.

That said, if its 4-6 weeks? Just buy him now and be done with it. By the end of September he is recovered and ready to start getting up to speed.

Levy will wait till Jan i reckon.....he wont want to pay 100k a week for 3 months for whilst Barkley is recovering. Sign him in Jan, 1.6 mill in wages saved, plus Everton will have to sell him for a real knockdown fee

Seems a risk, Is it really worth 1.6 million of savings if we really want him?

We need to make sure he is 100% fit before we sign him. Unless we get him for a really knock down price. I think we will wait till January now.

Back