• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

We don't have open borders with India and have what appears to be a robust immigration control.

My point was people's (unfounded) concerns about EU immigration.
If we are successful on BREXIT lowering the minimum wage would still have little effect on immigration from the EU would it? if its lower than Romania it does not mean we would be paying less than Romania meaning there is still a Pull effect.

If EU migrants end up being treated the same as non-EU migrants currently are, then they will not be able to compete for minimum wage jobs nor have recourse to public funds until they have been here a number of years.
35k minimum salary requirement (or £18k spouse salary if marrying a Brit) and no recourse to public funds (unemployment benefit, housing benefit) for three years and a requirement to pay £600(i think) per year towards the NHS on top of taxation.

35k minimum salary requirement (or £18k spouse salary if marrying a Brit) and no recourse to public funds (unemployment benefit, housing benefit) for three years and a requirement to pay £600(i think) per year towards the NHS on top of taxation.

And the earnings requirements go up the more dependents you want to bring (I think 1 kid on the spouse visa and it goes up to about £21,500 or thereabouts).

So 35k for economic migrants (I didn't even know it was that high!) -- minimum wage here (for over 25s, 40 hours per week) is £15,600 per year.

If we are successful on BREXIT lowering the minimum wage would still have little effect on immigration from the EU would it? if its lower than Romania it does not mean we would be paying less than Romania meaning there is still a Pull effect.
Sorry, still don't think I'm being all that clear.

I meant that as an alternative to Brexit for those that consider immigration a bad thing.

And the earnings requirements go up the more dependents you want to bring (I think 1 kid on the spouse visa and it goes up to about £21,500 or thereabouts).

So 35k for economic migrants (I didn't even know it was that high!) -- minimum wage here (for over 25s, 40 hours per week) is £15,600 per year.
Yup!
I have a friend who was on a post graduate visa (renewal every three years i think it is with employer sponsorship).
Worked for many years on some of the best theatre this country has produced, but the pay wasn't enough.
Got a job offer at the V&A to just make the £35k threshold. When they noticed her status (they missed it at sifting) they had to withdraw the offer as they couldn't afford the couple of grand to sponsor.
So the UK lost an excellent, productive post grad that was contributing excellent work.
Those rules were implemented by...... Theresa May. Should give a flavour of what to expect for the next two years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Yup!
I have a friend who was on a post graduate visa (renewal every three years i think it is with employer sponsorship).
Worked for many years on some of the best theatre this country has produced, but the pay wasn't enough.
Got a job offer at the V&A to just make the £35k threshold. When they noticed her status (they missed it at sifting) they had to withdraw the offer as they couldn't afford the couple of grand to sponsor.
So the UK lost an excellent, productive post grad that was contributing excellent work.
Those rules were implemented by...... Theresa May. Should give a flavour of what to expect for the next two years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

One thing I would hope for as a result of all this chaos is a bit more fairness in the immigration system. Same rules for EU and Non-EU migrants, but not as harsh as the current rules for Non-EU migrants (which must be some of the harshest immigration rules in the world at the moment).

One thing I would hope for as a result of all this chaos is a bit more fairness in the immigration system. Same rules for EU and Non-EU migrants, but not as harsh as the current rules for Non-EU migrants (which must be some of the harshest immigration rules in the world at the moment).

"Relaxing immigration rules" will be political suicide

Finally someone has the balls to bring everything we do in terms of security to the table.

Europe has a problem and we are the best placed to solve it. We get free trade, you don't get blown up by ISIS - sounds like a good deal to me.

If that was our Trump card it will be telling for future negotiations what the response will be, so far looks like a resounding go fudge yourself

If that was our Trump card it will be telling for future negotiations what the response will be, so far looks like a resounding go fudge yourself
Which is, of course, their opening position. We will, as with most things, meet somewhere in between.

Should there be another terror attack in Europe in the next two years I suspect the balance will swing heavily in our favour.

I think its a disgusting attitude for us to take. Its not an issue to play politics with.
Nothing should be off the table when negotiating. The moment you see your opponent as a human is the moment you lose.

There's no room for empathy in this, far bigger things are at stake.

Seems to me a lack of empathy is whats gotten us into this mess to begin with.
I'd say it's more down to the intransigence on the behalf of Eurocrats and Cameron's inability to convince them that a Leave vote was a realistic possibility.

He went there with some very fair terms that would have secured a Remain vote - they didn't just refuse, they barely even paid it any notice. Both failed to make the required changes that would have made the EU begin to resemble a sensible institution. Once that happened then the Leave vote was always going to have a decent chance.

Both sides in this meeting will be playing dirty not just one side, would you want it any other way?

Yeah, I want us to do the right thing, for no other reason than because its the right thing to do, let us set an example for others to follow. The decision has been taken to run our own shop so lets do so correctly.

If Brexit was aspirational lets show it.

Yeah, I want us to do the right thing, for no other reason than because its the right thing to do, let us set an example for others to follow. The decision has been taken to run our own shop so lets do so correctly.

If Brexit was aspirational lets show it.

Welcome to the real world then.

Back