• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Permanently baffled by the 21st century

I'm just waiting for the day when a politician or tv news host has to dress up as a giant poppy and stay silent for the whole of November, in order to show the proper respect.

PA-542362.jpg

People are afraid to be seen as not caring about this sort of thing, due to facebook etc. where all opinions and people's lives in general are documented for all to see. It's the same with poppies now. It's become a world full of grief junkies. People can't just quietly care about something.

I don't have social media, I don't wear poppies either. If people wear them and actually care about fallen soldiers, then fair enough. But all these people infront of a tv camera too scared to be seen not wearing one can p1ss off.

Then again, lots of people went mental when Princess Di died, so the British have always had our fair share of weird, stupid qunts. Sort of people who don't visit their great aunt in a home, who just stares out of the window waiting to die, but go all teary when some royal who wouldn't give them the time of day croaks.

Wish i could give this post more then one like.

People are afraid to be seen as not caring about this sort of thing, due to facebook etc. where all opinions and people's lives in general are documented for all to see. It's the same with poppies now. It's become a world full of grief junkies. People can't just quietly care about something.

I don't have social media, I don't wear poppies either. If people wear them and actually care about fallen soldiers, then fair enough. But all these people infront of a tv camera too scared to be seen not wearing one can p1ss off.

Then again, lots of people went mental when Princess Di died, so the British have always had our fair share of weird, stupid qunts. Sort of people who don't visit their great aunt in a home, who just stares out of the window waiting to die, but go all teary when some royal who wouldn't give them the time of day croaks.
Princess Diana was the start of it. Coincided with the beginning of virtue signalling and, as you've so perfectly put it, grief junkies.

I remember being in a Clinton's cards (buying a card for someone I don't much like) and they had a Daily Mail or similar on the counter for sale. The headline was about Jade Goody (sp?) dying of cancer and I asked my wife at what point racist Jade became poor, innocent Jade. The girl behind the counter looked at me like I was a complete piece of brick - I wasn't even looking at her tits or talking to her either.

The is a young girl at work she is part time like me. She was telling me about a kid at her school who was playing a game where they try to get high by restricting air to their head. (that old game I thought, played it many times myself) anyway this lad choked himself to death because he could not undo the belt(rookie mistake and why I always used tights)

Anyway I laughed when she told me this and said something about darwinism which also needed explaining. She said it was actually a really serious matter and the school brought in therapists. The school then had rubber wrists bands as a tribute to him made and everyone wore them round their wrists. When I said they should have made small little belts round their wrists instead while walking away laughing.

Took a break later in the day and the looks i got from the youngsters, you would have thought I had strangled the weird little perv.

I blame Andy Warhol, he set a template for desperate egotist we have managed to breed, they believe their opinions, feelings and actions are as important to the world as it is to them.

The is a young girl at work she is part time like me. She was telling me about a kid at her school who was playing a game where they try to get high by restricting air to their head. (that old game I thought, played it many times myself) anyway this lad choked himself to death because he could not undo the belt(rookie mistake and why I always used tights)

Anyway I laughed when she told me this and said something about darwinism which also needed explaining. She said it was actually a really serious matter and the school brought in therapists. The school then had rubber wrists bands as a tribute to him made and everyone wore them round their wrists. When I said they should have made small little belts round their wrists instead while walking away laughing.

Took a break later in the day and the looks i got from the youngsters, you would have thought I had strangled the weird little perv.
Do you know when you laugh and you shouldn't really but you do anyway. Small belts. LOL. That post is hilarious.

Edit: I'm still giggling.

Last edited:

I was a teenager at home when she died. My mum came and woke me up to tell me, and was most put out when I said "so?" and rolled over and back to sleep.

I felt sympathy for William and Harry, of course. But that was the beginning and end of it. The whole farce afterwards I found (and find) most distasteful.

The thing that stays with me though is my mum, she isnt the sort to get caught up in all that, but she was really bothered right there and then (but no, she didnt get into all the grief, didnt buy candle in the wind etc).

I was a bit older and my kids came into our room and switched the TV on.
I was genuinely shocked. We drove up and looked at the flowers sometime later to shut the kids up and rubberneck, I remember because I was bursting for a pee. I MEAN BURSTING.

That was the only time I/we did such a thing.

The helicopter crash at Leicester has tinkled me off big time.
Sad for the loss of life of course.
But why was the flash git allowed to fly his status symbol into the ground, it was something I had mentioned to my son last year and how dangerous it could be.
Then media coverage?
But the media 24/7 repeat crap strikes every day.

Last edited:
Princess Diana was the start of it. Coincided with the beginning of virtue signalling and, as you've so perfectly put it, grief junkies.

I have never been a fan of Royalty ( bloodsuckers on the surface of the country), however there is no doubt in my mind that Diana was the worst of the lot, she convinced all the plebs that she was a angel and beyond reproach, instead she was self serving piece of work.

I have never been a fan of Royalty ( bloodsuckers on the surface of the country), however there is no doubt in my mind that Diana was the worst of the lot, she convinced all the plebs that she was a angel and beyond reproach, instead she was self serving piece of work.

I am not a supporter of royalty either but I think she did what she had to do (initially) to survive in a totally dysfunctional family (and marriage). I do have some sympathy when I look back to what she was like when first getting engaged to Prince Charles. But by the end she had become a very manipulative, attention-seeking person who knew how to use the media and her adoring public for her own ends and to promote her own image.

I found the outpouring of emotion after she died utterly embarrassing and see it as the forerunner for so much of the faux-grief we see nowadays.

I was a bit older and my kids came into our room and switched the TV on.
I was genuinely shocked. We drove up and looked at the flowers sometime later to shut the kids up and rubberneck, I remember because I was bursting for a pee. I MEAN BURSTING.

That was the only time I/we did such a thing.

The helicopter crash at Leicester has tinkled me off big time.
Sad for the loss of life of course.
But why was the flash git allowed to fly his status symbol into the ground, it was something I had mentioned to my son last year and how dangerous it could be.
Then media coverage?
But the media 24/7 repeat crap strikes every day.

Good point. Maybe as a society, we've always had x-amount of people who become instantly grief stricken by anything. It's just that now, every single event is shown and talked about over and over again. So the Leicester thing, it goes on the news all day. We see all the football on TV, so we see all the minute silences as they happen. Then we see them shown on the news again. Go on the internet, it's on there again. Go on a forum, and us qunts are talking about it.

@scaramanga makes the point that this sort of hysteria started with the death of Dianna. That happened in 1997. And I just looked it up, a few months afterwards, BBC News launched it's 24 hour news channel. So ever since then, coverage of anything and everything has been saturating us.

The British news is particularly crude. I prefer the English language versions of France 24, ArirangTV or CGTN

Back