• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur Vs Norwich City

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure that either of Norwich's goals came from us not having a genuine DCM? I thought that Norwich probably also only created perhaps two chances other than their goals?

Yes, but they were able to capitalise. Oh and this is Norwich FFS, bottom of the league. The few times they went forward we looked VERY vulnerable and especially to the counter-attack. Good forbid that was against a better team.

Us having a genuine DCM will mean the connection between our midfield and attack will be more fluid and our full-backs will be more free-minded when they do attack, knowing there is someone 'on guard' behind them.

Interesting that you feel the midfield was 10 x better for having Ndombele instead of Sissoko. I would say that it was far more due to having Ndombele instead of Dier that made the difference here. I say this because the player who was playing in the exact same position that Dier has been playing was actually able to receive the ball from his defence and get it forwards with good movement, dribbling, decent mobility and effective passing, four things which are completely alien to Eric Dier's game.

In the first half I agree that Eriksen did tend to play a bit too conservatively, akin to the way that Harry Winks plays. It was a 5 or 6 out of 10 type performance (again - akin to a typical Harry Winks game). It was the second half where Eriksen started to grab the game by the balls and became our main creative force, getting on the ball constantly and playing good passes in the opposition's last third of the pitch. I have yet to see Winks perform that way for Spurs (perhaps because he hasn't been played enough in a midfield position that allows him to do this?) Eriksen may not have been amazing but he was still probably the best player on the pitch and certainly Spurs' best player.

Lo Celso looks to be a decent footballer, although he does seem to want too much time on the ball. However I am starting to become a bit concerned as to what Lo Celso's role will be in Mourinho's favoured 4-2-3-1. I'm not sure that he is one of the deeper two midfield players and doesn't look to have enough pace to play as either of the wide two of the three. It therefore seems he is competing with Dele to play as the free player in the centre of the three and it looks as though Mourinho likes that player to be playing quite high up the pitch close to Kane, is Lo Celso physical enough to play that role in the PL? I can't help but think that he was bought by Poch specifically to play in his favoured diamond formation and might be a bit of a square peg for Mourinho's system

You raise some good points re GLC; It's early days but he is still seems to be getting up to speed re the PL pace etc.
Personally, i think he'd be one of the 3 behind Kane a la Eriksen and would be most effective if the other two are pace wide-forwards to give him room to spray passed forwards. In that regards i agree he might be competing with Alli in the 4-2-3-1 formation. Sadly, i think Jose has put all him "i love you" chips into the Alli corner, which is a shame because it's all about using the fillness of a squad imo.
If/when we get a good DCM i think GLC can work very well in a a middle 3 of a 4-3-3, alongside NDombele.

So GLC's progress might depend on if we get a DCM and how much Jose wants to actually use the squad (for example, i think there shoyuld be games that Alli is dropped to the bench and that shouldn't be an issue)

Yes, but they were able to capitalise. Oh and this is Norwich FFS, bottom of the league. The few times they went forward we looked VERY vulnerable and especially to the counter-attack. Good forbid that was against a better team.

Us having a genuine DCM will mean the connection between our midfield and attack will be more fluid and our full-backs will be more free-minded when they do attack, knowing there is someone 'on guard' behind them.
I agree that we need another option to play (preferably alongside Ndombele) in the centre of the midfield. Dier has the physical presence, should be a natural in terms of his positional sense, but has no mobility at all, being slow on the turn and very slow from a standing start, below average ball control, limited passing and no dribbling skills, Sissoko, while being fine in terms of his physical presence and considerably better than Dier in terms of mobility and dribbling ability, is questionable postionally and is no better than Dier with his passing and perhaps slightly worse with his ball control. Winks would seem to be fine in his mobilty, dribbling, ball control and passing but always looks positionally suspect to me and has no physical presence at all. While Wanyama has obviously gone lame and should be put out to stud. I wouldn't actually be aghast at seeing Skipp be given a go, but I would much rather he went to the Championship on loan and played a full second half of the season there so that he can make his inevitable mistakes as he learns without costing us goals as Foyth is currently doing in every game he plays.

Despite Norwich being bottom of the table they are actually a decent attacking team. Our problem was that both Norwich goals came in periods where we had actually got ourselves on top in the game with it being a question of 'when' not 'if' we would score.... and instead of going up in the game we instead gave them something to defend. I thought that despite the result, yesterday was probably up there with the West Ham and perhaps Arsenal games as our best away performance of the season.

I'm going to recant slightly on the OG. Buendia starts it all standing between Moura and Eriksen, when the ball goes to him, Moura comes in and tries to challenge leaving a gap in front of Sessegnon. Sess does what he should by coming out of LB but neither Eriksen nor Lucas have tracked Buendia after the intial pass so when he gets into the space behind Sess, Toby has to come across and step up. Sanchez is then left 2v1 and has to come across, N'Dombele doesn't do enough to cut out the passing angle into Pukki, whilst Aurier is slow to recognise the situation and late getting round to cover Sanchez.

So in a way, our midfield discipline is to blame again. Had Lucas kept his position and left Eriksen to deal with Buendia then the space in front of Sess would've been protected. On top of this, I feel like the space between our defence and midfield is a little too wide and this gave them more room to work in. Compare it to the space Norwich kept and it's easy to see how much easier we make it for teams to pass through us.

I'm going to recant slightly on the OG. Buendia starts it all standing between Moura and Eriksen, when the ball goes to him, Moura comes in and tries to challenge leaving a gap in front of Sessegnon. Sess does what he should by coming out of LB but neither Eriksen nor Lucas have tracked Buendia after the intial pass so when he gets into the space behind Sess, Toby has to come across and step up. Sanchez is then left 2v1 and has to come across, N'Dombele doesn't do enough to cut out the passing angle into Pukki, whilst Aurier is slow to recognise the situation and late getting round to cover Sanchez.

So in a way, our midfield discipline is to blame again. Had Lucas kept his position and left Eriksen to deal with Buendia then the space in front of Sess would've been protected. On top of this, I feel like the space between our defence and midfield is a little too wide and this gave them more room to work in. Compare it to the space Norwich kept and it's easy to see how much easier we make it for teams to pass through us.

Ding....another bell that says "Spurs need a defensive-minded midfielder"

Lo Celso looks to be a decent footballer, although he does seem to want too much time on the ball. However I am starting to become a bit concerned as to what Lo Celso's role will be in Mourinho's favoured 4-2-3-1. I'm not sure that he is one of the deeper two midfield players and doesn't look to have enough pace to play as either of the wide two of the three. It therefore seems he is competing with Dele to play as the free player in the centre of the three and it looks as though Mourinho likes that player to be playing quite high up the pitch close to Kane, is Lo Celso physical enough to play that role in the PL? I can't help but think that he was bought by Poch specifically to play in his favoured diamond formation and might be a bit of a square peg for Mourinho's system

Exactly what I've been thinking since the game. He looks stuck between positions. Would fit in a 433 definitely. Seemed to do ok against Brighton from right of a 4231 and was certainly a goal threat at Betis so I hope he can come good in that position. Could easily play the middle of the 3 in a 4231 (actually think he could blossom there - clearly capable of a killer pass as we saw with Dele's offside goal).

The key for him now is to stay fit and give 100% when he's given a chance in any position. As Eriksen is phased out, minutes will open up in various positions.

Despite Norwich being bottom of the table they are actually a decent attacking team. Our problem was that both Norwich goals came in periods where we had actually got ourselves on top in the game with it being a question of 'when' not 'if' we would score.... and instead of going up in the game we instead gave them something to defend. I thought that despite the result, yesterday was probably up there with the West Ham and perhaps Arsenal games as our best away performance of the season.

My son in law is a Norwich S/T holder and has been for years so i do see a few of their games when i can, and i agree they are a very good technical and attacking team. They have beaten City and gave L'pool a very good game their problem is they do overplay at times and get caught out a lot.

I was not surprised they gave us problems ( they have done that to a few teams this season) and i was saying this to the lads before the game that they should not be under estimated. We ( Jose) is plugging holes at the moment and until he can get the team strengthed and a couple of players settled we will continue to be inconsistant.

Strange. I would have thought the extra 7 or 8 fingers would have served well for extra grip on the device....

I'm not sure it does or doesn't happen. I think someone has to be dragging that midfield backwards, but having people not tracking runners isn't going to be helped by one defensively minded midfielder.

I'm not sure it does or doesn't happen. I think someone has to be dragging that midfield backwards, but having people not tracking runners isn't going to be helped by one defensively minded midfielder.

Of course it is all conjecture on my part (!!!) but I'm thinking that if Dier is on the pitch, Toby would not be as far up?Then a domino effect on who's where, etc...

Again mate, if Dier is on the pitch I do not think that goal happens. There again, we should not need him in those situations.

You seem to forget the goals we concede when Dier IS on the pitcho_O

Remember both Olympiacos games, the game at Brighton, the latter stages vs Bournemouth and West Ham??
Dier does NOT make much difference...

You seem to forget the goals we concede when Dier IS on the pitcho_O

Remember both Olympiacos games, the game at Brighton, the latter stages vs Bournemouth and West Ham??
Dier does NOT make much difference...
Again... as I’ve said 100 times those goals came form wide not through the middle
The goals vs Norwich we’re straight through the middle (where a DM would be)
Address the lack of ability to defend wide (particularly the right) and you fix 70% of the issues

Again... as I’ve said 100 times those goals came form wide not through the middle
The goals vs Norwich we’re straight through the middle (where a DM would be)
Address the lack of ability to defend wide (particularly the right) and you fix 70% of the issues

So we are conceding from the middle AND wide; when Dier plays, we tend to concede, when he doesn't play we tend to concede.
We have issues across the pitch but Dier is NOT the answer as has been shown for a LONG time now..

So we are conceding from the middle AND wide; when Dier plays, we tend to concede, when he doesn't play we tend to concede.
We have issues across the pitch but Dier is NOT the answer as has been shown for a LONG time now..
What goals have we conceded form players walking through the middle then in the games you mentioned?
I mean Norwich literally walked through the middle like the Third Reich

I do get that you the the man and that’s you choice but if you can’t see out full backs and incompetent (in the case of Aurier he has never been able to defend for us) then I’m concerned ... I mean the games we have lost have been when teams have just simply attacked Auriers aide. Bayern did it (his man got a hat trick), United did it (his man got 2 goals) and Chelsea did it (his man got the first goal).
I thought he was unlucky with the goal vs Norwich but maybe brick just attracts more brick

What goals have we conceded form players walking through the middle then in the games you mentioned?
I mean Norwich literally walked through the middle like the Third Reich

Hmm, Olympiacos both home and away? The home match Dier was taken off after what, 30 mins?
Dier does not protect the middle much these days; we concede a lot of ground in the middle when he's there, even if a goal does or doesn't get scored from there, we are pushed back through players being able to play through the middle which puts us on the back-foot defensively.

When our competitors see Dier is there, they exploit that fact

I do get that you the the man and that’s you choice but if you can’t see out full backs and incompetent (in the case of Aurier he has never been able to defend for us) then I’m concerned ... I mean the games we have lost have been when teams have just simply attacked Auriers aide. Bayern did it (his man got a hat trick), United did it (his man got 2 goals) and Chelsea did it (his man got the first goal).
I thought he was unlucky with the goal vs Norwich but maybe brick just attracts more brick

I agree, we have to upgrade our full-backs. But our CM area is weak defensively and it effects both us going forwards (our attackers are tentative re making runs as they are scared they will have to run back to defend more than they used to) and our defenders are more nervous and forced much more to lump balls forwards as they are scared that our midfielders will get dispossessed and immediately be faced with attackers.

Not replacing Wanyama and Dier (in terms of what they used to do for us defensively) is killing us

Back