1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

OMT **TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR V little old saints**ver FAC

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by ricky2tricky4city, 23 Jan 2020.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed 27 Jan 2020.
  1. Lo Celso

89.2%
  2. Tanganga

10.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inkpenspur

inkpenspur Naybet

This, this, this! Having watched the game in the stadium one does see a different game to TV. Dele was everywhere and he’s within a gnats whisker of being brilliant again. He was getting frustrated with Son for most of the game as Son seems to have gained the ability of permanently running into cul de sacs. Still, we were good for the first 75 minutes then ran out of puff... our fans in the away end were bloody noisy all game... chapeau!

2. inkpenspur

inkpenspur Naybet

3. Mikey10

Mikey10 Eidur Gudjohnsen

I thought we did well for two-thirds of the game today. It was an enjoyable one (and I haven’t felt that much this season) and there were plenty of reasons to be cheerful, especially at the end of the first half.

I thought Gedson showed a really promising attitude, he seems very mobile, and he has quick feet based on today’s evidence. Lo Celso was excellent and we created some great chances with impressive counters. We are starting to look solid at the back in a way that we haven’t for a while, and Tanganga did well enough. Dele was EVERYWHERE.

Son’s form has gone off a cliff, though. And the decision not to bring on Ndombele seemed a strange one.

Oh, and our away support is fudging magnificent.

ricky2tricky4city and Bullet like this.
  4. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

And therein lies our problem. Dele should NOT be used as a workhorse in midfield. He should be in the fudging box finishing off chances. JM played him like this when he first arrived and we had our old Dele back. This midfield role is just not playing to his strengths.

5. Mikey10

Mikey10 Eidur Gudjohnsen

I was sitting slightly to the right of where that picture was taken. So frustrating to have to be in with the home fans when there were rows of empty seats in our end.

6. Legohamster

Legohamster Steve Carr

Just from the last few games - and I’m well aware that a new striker may not have been in these positions/taken the chances

Moura/Lamela against Watford
    Lo celso/Son against Liverpool
    Moura/Son today
    Son against Norwich - we sneaked over the line in that one
    Son/Moura against boro in first game

Very very good chances missed

That’s not even looking at the poor link up/selfish play a proper centre forward would bring.

7. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Vedran Corluka

I quite enjoyed most of the game today. If we’re going to play with whatever plan, it’s got to feel like we are in control of it and the whole team is pulling in that direction. I felt like we had that today, away against a side in good form and we just tired in the end. We looked solid for the most part and I had confidence in what we were doing, which I haven’t had many times in the last few months.

I also think we should start getting some bigger bastards in. I like Gedson for this reason - it’s not that he played super good but if part of the game is going to be getting the ball forward quicker and winning the second balls where they may come then having guys like him in the team helps with that. It’s good to be physical.

We just need to get to a level of conditioning where we can defend until the latter stages. If we are going to forgo possession for the benefits of going direct, we can’t tire like we did.

LemonadeMoney, SteveAWOL and Mikey10 like this.
  8. milo

milo Ricky Villa Staff Member

Lo Celso and Tanganga. Anyone else?

9. metalgear

metalgear Chris Perry

10. Sandman

Sandman Roman Pavlyuchenko

strange game for me. We played a defensive strategy. Much like a lot of away games Jose played whilst manager of Chelski. I am not sure how to feel about it. We carved out a fair few chances overall and should have been 1 or 2 up. Then we let them have a two that would probably have made the game 2-2 or 2-3. So did the sit back strategy really help our defence? I dont think so. Aurier still has a brain fart in him every game and cost us a goal again. Not sure conceeding so much possession is going to help us keep clean sheets.

Feels like Jose is also making N'dombele wait to get back into the team as he wants him to play through the pain a bit more. At least we are still in the cup I suppose. The key is, can we hit any kind of form before we are out of it?

11. alekaras

alekaras The ITK of IDK

It's amazing how many times when the opposing team cuts the ball back into the box there's a player open.

When we, on the other hand do the same the ball is always cut off by the opposing defense. And that's squarely on our attackers (particularly Son) holding on to the ball too long. Gotta sort both ends out.

12. Daisuk

Daisuk Paul Robinson

Hah! Yes! It's ridiculous how bad we are at both attacking and defending these situations. And it's been like this for at least a couple of years, it seems.

Pirate55 likes this.
  13. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Milija Aleksic

Yep in the second half we were wide open. There is isn't much defensive cover from midfield these days.

Pirate55 likes this.
  14. AjaxDeSuperYids

AjaxDeSuperYids Ronnie Rosenthal

we need to identify a 20-22 year old version of kante/matic/fabinho/fernandinho and buy him.

Jon likes this.
  15. billyiddo

billyiddo Gary Stevens Staff Member

But with Moura occupying the central position Son is playing his usual role off the wing atm, hes just on one of his semi regular runs of playing like a tit, when he has previously played centrally as a false 9 or whatever we call it these days he has done very well, so i would disagree with your earlier statement that Son isn't a striker and can't fill in for Kane.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2020
    thfcsteff and milo like this.
  16. metalgear

metalgear Chris Perry

That's Gedson
    Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Mikey10 likes this.
  17. metalgear

metalgear Chris Perry

Lo Celso doind Well getting forward so it was Winks to provide cover
    Sent from my SM-T865 using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

18. Mikey10

Mikey10 Eidur Gudjohnsen

It looked like he could be, based on yesterday’s small piece of evidence. No mean feat to start in a raucous FA Cup tie and do as well as he did. It was promising, for sure.

19. Jon

Jon Nick Barmby

Agree on principle with the point, but I would highlight that Kante isn’t that ‘positional’ player that the others are.
    He proactively leaves his position and hunts the ball down right across the pitch.

20. Jurgen the German

Jurgen the German Colin Calderwood

So much wrong with this post I have no idea where to start. Lamela is NOT the best attacker at the club. Kane, Alli, Son, Eriksen and Moura’s output is greater than Lamela’s. To suggest he is our best attacker when he averages about 4-5 goals a season is laughable.

Pirate55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.