1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

OMT - Spurs v Villa

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by milo, 13 Feb 2020.

?

Man of the match

Poll closed 18 Feb 2020.
  1. Alderweireld

4.3%
  2. Aurier

4.3%
  3. Bergwijn

31.4%
  4. Davies

4.3%
  5. Lo Celso

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Moura

10.0%
  7. Sanchez

11.4%
  8. Son

20.0%
  9. Winks

14.3%
  1. Raziel

Raziel Frederic Kanoute

The Dier/Winks partnership is not part of the plan, think we all need to acknowledge the side put out was in full anticipation that this was the weakest opponent out of 3 in a week, this was the game to take liberties.

I do agree that the opposition (fans and pundits) due to how we are playing have probably a false sense of what they could/should get out of game. I disagree that at full strength we will win by occasional goal, if Harry was playing yesterday I could have seen that as a comfortable 4-1 type win.

This side in the counter attack phase (just flashes at momenet) looks like we can tear an opponent apart, on clinical days there will be some fun scorelines.

Pirate55 and K.D.D.D.D.Soc like this.
  2. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Steve Carr

He celebrated with him after the penalty rebound yesterday.

3. Finney Is Back

I agree with every point you make here. I just added my vote for Winks MoTM, I have criticised him on numerous occasions this season but the last few weeks he has been back to his best I think.

Take Dier out of this team and replace him with a decent player (Soumare please Mr Levy) and we would instantly be more solid.

4. Raziel

Raziel Frederic Kanoute

Take the same lineup as yesterday

- Start with two of Lo Celso/Winks/N'dombele instead of Dier +Winks and put Kane up front

I don't even think the game would be a contest.

We don't need a DM against brick like Villa, against better teams we still need

- a DM, two other FB options and a long term replacement/rotation for Toby

5. Finney Is Back

He is WAY too good (and expensive) for West Ham. He will end up at one of the big 6. It is clear that he is a very good player that would benefit from being surrounded with better players. I thought that if anything Grealish was probably too unselfish yesterday. He would sometimes be better off going himself than trying to make a pass to a teammate, not because the teammate wasn't better positioned, but because their quality is just so much lower than Grealish's. He wouldn't suffer from that same problem at Spurs (or other top 6 clubs).

Bullet, SteveAWOL, Pirate55 and 2 others like this.
  6. Kandi1977

Kandi1977 Steffen Freund

Fortunately Villa decided to match us playing with 10 (+Dier), by playing Drinkwater.

7. Finney Is Back

Doesn't make sense to let go of our first choice right back. Also doesn't make sense to sell Sissoko (unless we get a decent bid for him). The rest of them seemingly aren't playing anyway so can go. Foyth and Lamela are two other players that we wouldn't miss (the latter due to his appalling injury record).

Last edited: 17 Feb 2020
  8. Finney Is Back

If going to Celtic it would be their young centre forward Edouoard that I would most like us to be signing.

K.D.D.D.D.Soc likes this.
  9. Finney Is Back

Isn't he just on loan from a bigger club though?

10. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Young-Pyo Lee

I thought Dier did pretty well yesterday. I recall one very crucial clearance at 0-1 and a few great passes (one in particular that Alli or Son f**kd up). He did give the ball away cheaply on two occasions early on but other than that was arguably our best player until he went off. And I say that as someone who doesn’t rate him as a midfielder. It was his best game for us in a long time.

Drinkwater, on the other hand, was terrible.

parklane1, spurrrr and Bedfordspurs like this.
  11. Finney Is Back

When you play without a defensive minded midfielder in your team it can make it very easy for the opposition to counter attack you. Additionally in that came (and with Mourinho's tactics in general) we had less possession than our opponents. If conceding possession then you need to have at least one midfielder who is a good defender. I like Soumare is he isn't a true out and out DM, he has lots of quality on the ball (especially in terms of his ball carrying) but he is a physical hunk of burning love and tends to want to play a bit deeper than (e.g.) Ndombele.

I read the Guardian's report of our game yesterday and this particular part caught my eye.....

If a high‑class defensive midfielder tends to be a cornerstone of a Mourinho side, he instead had a low-class one. Eric Dier’s recall prompted suggestions he was primed to man-mark Jack Grealish, just as he used to detail Ander Herrera to be Eden Hazard’s constant companion. Mourinho has rarely been afraid to act the underdog, to concentrate on stopping even an inferior side and to strip a game of its drama.

Perhaps he should have borrowed a tactic from his past. Or maybe he simply concluded he had no one capable of silencing the irrepressible Grealish, of taking Villa’s best player out of the game and reducing the contest to 10 against 10. Serge Aurier kept fouling him – “three whacks on Jack,” as the Villa manager Dean Smith phrased it – while Toby Alderweireld could not get close enough to halt him. Dier, meanwhile, spent much of his time pointing, some of it shouting and not enough actually doing. At 26, he already looks an ex-footballer.
    It is unfortunate, yet oh so true. We're kind of playing with 10 and a half men at the moment when he is in the team.

12. Finney Is Back

Indeed. He is also a shadow of the player he was 3 or 4 seasons ago.

Pirate55 likes this.
  13. Finney Is Back

I agree that he made one fantastic pass and one good block. Other than that I thought the game completely passed him by. He just always seems to be 2 or 3 yards short of where he should be, it's like the mind is still willing but the body is not able.

Pirate55 likes this.
  14. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Gary Stevens

The game bypassed midfield completely until Lo Celso came on for us
    It was their tactic too
    3 at the back and give it to Jack.

You want Soumare along with some other fans but he has a rep for being naive and error prone too so what are his strengths?

I said in here yesterday I’ve heard via some coaching guys we’re looking at a Celtic midfielder Ntcham who I’ve never seen play. When I asked why were looking at him they said £25m and consistently good at everything

15. Gilzeantoscore

Gilzeantoscore Milija Aleksic

Welcome back! Yes I voted for Moura too. I was very impressed with his pressing and tracking back as well.

16. DeanoAustin

DeanoAustin Young-Pyo Lee

They were his standout moments but I thought he made a couple of other really good positive passes.

Maybe I'm wrong though coz Jose hooked him after an hour and the media seem to think the same as you.

17. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Gary Stevens

No your right

Jose subbed him for a less defensive player as he knew villa would fade and Lo Celso was ready for a 30 minute run out after this injury

scaramanga likes this.
  18. indospurs

indospurs Tim Sherwood

An important win, scraped it.

i think at this stage the meteorology and belief is all - playing well and good shape are important, but three points is massive

we have leipzig and chavs, no wonder lo celso and ndombele weren't used - we'll definitely need them in those two games against much better defenses and overall organised sides who will punish us for mistakes and if we don't take our chances

19. scaramanga

scaramanga Garth Crooks Staff Member

He went himself and shot what? 5 or 6 times when he shouldn't have yesterday.

He's made to look better because their only tactic is give the ball to Grealish, Grealish dives. When they went direct they caused us a lot of problems.

20. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

Didn't notice that one yesterday. Was it truly effusive - or just going through the motions?