1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Oliver Skipp

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Spur of the moment, 1 Aug 2018.

Tags:
  1. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Luka Modric

You sound like @Gutter Boy :D

Gutter Boy likes this.
  2. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Michael Carrick

And Mason is a good comparison along with Bentaleb and Dier. Players that are capable enough of seeing you thru a period of time until the time comes where you have the opportunity to genuinely upgrade BUT with a chance of saving you the bother (like Dier) when they turn out to be (because you've given them that chance) pretty bloody special themselves.

3. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Michael Carrick

I would much rather give opportunities to a youngster that knows the club, knows the staff, is familiar with the players, hungry to prove he's good at football and at this stage is not worrying about his pay packet.

And I'm further weighted in that direction as Joe average can cost you 30m these days.

Bullet, mjc23, SteveAWOL and 7 others like this.
  4. papaspur

papaspur Neil Ruddock

It's something special indeed. That drive alone seems hard to come by and the fact that first-team internationals might start to feel threatened by home-grown talent is another bonus.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  5. awesome dawson

awesome dawson Roman Pavlyuchenko

95% of the time I view that as a compliment, so thanks :D

6. Daisuk

Daisuk Steffen Iversen

A cynical view, maybe, but even if he gets the chance and doesn't necessarily take it, just having given him PL matches will increase his value no end, ref Jake Livermore, Mason and Bentaleb. Watching Skipp and Amos in preseason, I'm not too worried about us not signing a midfielder. Much rather them than Sissoko play, for instance (duh).

The kid looks quality, I hope he gets a run in the side this season. :)

Yermiyahu, benp, Bullet and 2 others like this.
  7. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Barry Daines Staff Member

8. Bullet

Bullet Rafael Van Der Vaart

Agreed, he actually reminds me of when James Milner first burst onto the scene at Leeds as a 16 year old. He immediately just belonged at that level, the way he received the ball and knew what to do and what was going on, so impressive for a young kid.

Then he went on to have a fantastic career and win lots of silverware... I know it is cool to hate James Milner but I would be delighted if we could grow the equivalent player for our midfield for free, a real work horse, a real asset, just doing his job boringly well.

9. AdamB

AdamB Jack Jull

What about ability?

10. Jon

Jon Paul Stalteri

Over rated.

monkeybarry likes this.
  11. dawaxman

dawaxman Stephen Clemence

I don't remember if I posted about Skipp on here or just on SpursCommunity, but I've watched this kid for a couple of years now

I regularly go to the youth games (U18 & U23 games at the lodge) - and I have to say it's relatively easy to see special players

For example, I saw something in Kane 5+ years ago (I didn't think he'd be one of the best in the world, but he seemed to have a lot more time on the ball than all of the other players on the pitch - youth football can be frantic and Kane seemed to be dictating the pace so well as a 17 year old)

I saw something special in Adam Smith and Alex Pritchard and I maintain that they are both Premier quality players

Of the current crop, for me, Oliver Skipp is clearly the best player we have. I think Marcus Edwards and Dylan Markanday are tidy players - get-you-out-your-seat players, but Skipp is a little bit special. His footballing brain is exceptional, his desire, his tenacity, his vision and his physicality for someone who isn't (yet) particularly very big

I truly have high hopes for him and I really wish that his success will be with our club

12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Chris Jones

If we bring through 1 genuine first team player every two years that would be exceptional

Kane - winks - possibly Skipp

13. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Paul Stalteri

Still haven't given up on Onomah - and neither has Poch. But this surely has to be his breakthrough year, else it's likely back to the Championship for him.

Bedfordspurs likes this.
  14. Danishfurniturelover

Danishfurniturelover Jack Jull

Bournemouth on loan for the season.

SpurMeUp and Spur of the moment like this.
  15. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Rafael Van Der Vaart

That could be an excellent loan for him. He's still got a lot to prove. Needs to build confidence at this level.

16. SpurMeUp

SpurMeUp Rafael Van Der Vaart

Watched Skipps in those youth CL youth games and he looked lively. Hopefully we lose a couple of senior players from the squad and make space for Skipp to get on the bench in a few games. With Winks, Dier, Dembele, Sissoko, Wanyama we have too many CMs and arguably we need to sign one more!

Last edited: 4 Aug 2018
    Spur of the moment likes this.
  17. Spur of the moment

Spur of the moment Paul Stalteri

Fify.

SpurMeUp likes this.
  18. mjc23

mjc23 Scott Parker

Was impressed when he came on. Pressed the ball well without fouling and tidy in possession.
    Well done lad.

19. spurspinter1

spurspinter1 Ruel Fox

Says a lot that the captain's armband was handed straight to him........

DubaiSpur and mjc23 like this.
  20. mjc23

mjc23 Scott Parker

Haha, I liked that. He looked pretty embarrassed by that! He knew his role!