• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"Must win" games. You can choose 3.

Simple. Scum at home, 3 points, bragging rights, and hopefully ****ing up their title charge.
Chelscum. My second most hated team, and it's about time we beat them away.
Liverscum away, I have really grown to hate them over the last few years, and I'd love to beat them to knock their hopes for a top four place and put them back in their place after the debacle at home.

1) Liverpool - a lfc supporter at work asked me a few weeks ago when Spurs were playing lfc again and I said I thought (incorrectly) it was in February. To which he replied, "really, that'll be a nice b-day present for me." So I am desperate to beat those c****.
2) goons
3) chavski

"Must win" - games we must win to reach our goals.

Whatever games we play when losing or drawing would hurt our chances of reaching those goals either completely or significantly. So most likely to be games in the last rounds of the fixture list.

Either that or the 3 easiest games. There are easy and hard points to pick up, but if we can't pick up the easy points we will make it a lot harder for ourselves and significantly hurt our chances. So, the 3 home games against the worst teams that are left to play.

I see what you are saying, but wouldn't a win at Liverpool be more important to us in our race to fourth than a win at home to say Cardiff? Conversely, wouldn't a loss at Anfield be more damaging than a home defeat to say Cardiff?

Six pointers and all that, no?

I see what you are saying, but wouldn't a win at Liverpool be more important to us in our race to fourth than a win at home to say Cardiff? Conversely, wouldn't a loss at Anfield be more damaging than a home defeat to say Cardiff?

Six pointers and all that, no?

Yes. But at the same time a win against Cardiff and a point against Liverpool is a hell of a lot better than a win against Cardiff and a loss to Liverpool. Essentially winning against smaller teams at home makes a draw away to a direct rival a good result. Not getting the results against smaller teams at home puts pressure on us to pick up the very hard, and unlikely, wins against our direct rivals away from home. And there's part of the point, although a win against Liverpool away is better than a win against Cardiff at home it's also a lot more difficult.

Again it comes down to what "must win" means. People seem to use the term almost synonymously with "I really ****ing want us to win". For me that doesn't really make sense. The term makes a lot more sense to me in terms of our overall goals of the season.

Look at Mourinho's approach away to United earlier this season when he perceived them as a direct league rival. A draw away to a league rival is, and will in most circumstances continue to be, a good result. A draw being a good result is to me at least somewhat incompatible with a game being a "must win". Surely only a win being good enough is implied in "must win"?

Yes. But at the same time a win against Cardiff and a point against Liverpool is a hell of a lot better than a win against Cardiff and a loss to Liverpool. Essentially winning against smaller teams at home makes a draw away to a direct rival a good result. Not getting the results against smaller teams at home puts pressure on us to pick up the very hard, and unlikely, wins against our direct rivals away from home. And there's part of the point, although a win against Liverpool away is better than a win against Cardiff at home it's also a lot more difficult.

Again it comes down to what "must win" means. People seem to use the term almost synonymously with "I really ****ing want us to win". For me that doesn't really make sense. The term makes a lot more sense to me in terms of our overall goals of the season.

Look at Mourinho's approach away to United earlier this season when he perceived them as a direct league rival. A draw away to a league rival is, and will in most circumstances continue to be, a good result. A draw being a good result is to me at least somewhat incompatible with a game being a "must win". Surely only a win being good enough is implied in "must win"?

Good points, well made. As I said in the preamble to this thread, I had some reservations with the term "must win". I guess it all comes down to the individuals definition of " must win". I suppose better terminology would have been " games you would most like to win" or "most important games in which to get a good result". I was using "must win" as a lazy shorthand. My bad!

1. Liverpool (A) Could be the result that seperates us at the end of the day, as there is no chance of us catching them on goal difference.
2. Everton (H) Our other direct competitor for top four.
3. West Ham (A) These bar stewards will be looking to ruin our season and are going to be up for it. We win, keep our momentum and hopefully nudge them towards the drop

Agree with these, would take us 4th in my opinion

Good points, well made. As I said in the preamble to this thread, I had some reservations with the term "must win". I guess it all comes down to the individuals definition of " must win". I suppose better terminology would have been " games you would most like to win" or "most important games in which to get a good result". I was using "must win" as a lazy shorthand. My bad!

Cheers mate :)

Lazy shorthand is fine, as long as everyone use it the same way. My problem is more when the reaction to a "must win" that was a really tough game is one of indignation and vitriol aimed at the management and players.

If you end up saying it was a must win, but we didn't win and that's fine because we tried our hardest only the pedantic side of me gets itchy ;)

problem is, when we play City next week if we win we help Arsenal, if we lose we dont help Arsenal, but if we win we help our own ambitions. I dont want us to lose, but even Arsenal will want us to win next week!

Cant see us winning anyway so I will go with

1) Arsenal
2) Liverpool
3) Everton

Virtually everyone has Liverpool away listed. So the consensus on here is that it is viewed as probably our most important game of the season. Maybe only equalled by the Arsnl. Interesting

Virtually everyone has Liverpool away listed. So the consensus on here is that it is viewed as probably our most important game of the season. Maybe only equalled by the Arsnl. Interesting

Well, it's the current view

- Spots 1-3 = City/Cheat$ki/Scum
- 4th - Us/Pool/Everton/United

United for the moment are struggling badly (and we don't play them again), Everton likely to fade, so it's us and Pool.

The Scum game in terms of our position in the league table is reasonably irrelevant (ducks for cover).

As I mentioned earlier, win against Pool, win against the bottom 12 sides, 4th is very likely to be ours.

I still cant see us finishing 4th so my 3 must win are: away leg of the Europa Quarter Final, away leg of the Europa Semi Final and the Europa Final. We really should be able to take care of the rest ourselves.

I can see us in with a very decent shout for fourth. Out of our final 16 games, we only play clubs within the top 7 (ManU and above) five times, three of those at home.

The two away are at Chelsea and Liverpool. Draws at both those games could be acceptable if Sherwood can keep Spurs winning the games against lower placed opponents. They're both in March, so a little early to call just yet. We might well be above Liverpool in points by then and a nice, pragmatic draw could well suit us, so they may well fall below the category of must win.

NBC in the States was showing a graphic on the Sunday with the table for the top 7. Spurs are second last with only Man U below us. ManCity are on top. We need to get our placing a little higher. I'd say the upcoming game against City is something we'd love to win, but a draw might be acceptable. Mind you, City's away form is mediocre. Liverpool and Everton play at Anfield the day before, so one will drop points, maybe both if they match their earlier draw at Goodison.

I'd call Everton's visit a must win. Same with the following week's game, up in Saudi Sportswashing Machine. It's not really practical to look too far ahead, but they are in the foreseeable future and two wins out of two tough tests and we'd be set fair for a tough March. Smack in the middle of March is Arsenal's visit. I'd call that a must win as well. If we were to lose at Chelsea the week before, a win would be a nice bounce back and good preparation for the Liverpool trip two weeks later. The final six weeks are all winnable matches - the 'should wins' - and Liverpool have a tough run in, as do Everton.

So, Everton and Arsenal at home, Saudi Sportswashing Machine away. Must wins for me.

Why forget about fourth place? Seems unduly pessimistic to me.

We are just one defeat away from losing three games in a single season against Woolwich and West Ham respectively. What is a forth place worth when you have to hide your colours in your very own town?

Forget about 4th place. Must win games are

Woolwich
West Ham
Chelsea

in that precise order.

I would agree those are the ones I want most. How sweet would it be after all the BS and Spammers beating us twice at home we put the final nail in their coffin back to the Championship where they belong!!!Maybe bring back Stalteri for old times sake

We are just one defeat away from losing three games in a single season against Woolwich and West Ham respectively. What is a forth place worth when you have to hide your colours in your very own town?

4th is worth about 20million big ones, plus knock on benefits of better players and higher sponsorship and bringing the new stadium a tad more within reach. Surely worth more than a bit of bragging rights, no?

You wear your colours in the darkest hour .. never hide

4th is worth about 20million big ones, plus knock on benefits of better players and higher sponsorship and bringing the new stadium a tad more within reach. Surely worth more than a bit of bragging rights, no?

4th place doesn't mean 20 million quid right away. It would place us into a qualifying round where we still have to proceed to get to the honey pots. And under some freak circumstances 4th can even mean Europa League as we have already painfully experienced. So I rather chose the bragging rights.

But then again this isn't exactly a decision of either/or. If we win these three games we are quite likely to finish forth anyway. Remember who we beat within a week in our run-in 2010. Bragging rights and Champions League football often come in one go.

4th place doesn't mean 20 million quid right away. It would place us into a qualifying round where we still have to proceed to get to the honey pots. And under some freak circumstances 4th can even mean Europa League as we have already painfully experienced. So I rather chose the bragging rights.

But then again this isn't exactly a decision of either/or. If we win these three games we are quite likely to finish forth anyway. Remember who we beat within a week in our run-in 2010. Bragging rights and Champions League football often come in one go.

I agree with what you are saying, but I still take issue with the expression " forget about fourth".

There are more important games that would secure 4th IMO, than the games you mentioned.

Back