• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

"Improved work rate" doesn't quite impress me if I'm being honest. Barkley also seems like a player that primarily plays well as a #10 with quite a lot of freedom. When we play with a #10 it's Alli's position. We also have Eriksen who would probably love that role as well as other options. How would Barkley play shifted to the left or right? How would he play in our current "front 3"? Would we even pay what Everton would demand for him for a player not guaranteed to walk into our starting line-up?

Zaha... Another one where I think his work rate has been rightly questioned, also another player who primarily has played well in teams set up to counter attack (both like Sissoko). I think Son would have been ahead of him if he was at Palace and I'm not particularly convinced he's even better than Chadli. The only reason Chadli isn't being mentioned is that we just sold him a year ago.
Has Zaha's work rate been questioned? I have always been pretty impressed with this when I have seen him.

Thinking back to our home game against Palace earlier this season I remember not really noticing Zaha for his attacking play but being very impressed with his diligence in always tracking Walker's forays forward. Looking at his physical attributes I actually wonder whether Pochettino would be interested in him as a play who can play in a number of roles - with one of them being a more like for like back up option for Danny Rose at left wing back.

Personally I think both Zaha and Barkley have a good combination of both skill and physical presence. They are both still a little rough around the edges but I have no doubt that Pochettino could drill better structure into both of their games.

If our squad next season contained Barkley and Zaha instead of Sissoko and Onomah then I think we would be much stronger and better equipped to challenge on multiple fronts.

Wonder if Max Meyer is seriously being considered.

I would seriously hope so. Schalke have to sell this summer or he goes for nothing so he isn't going to command a massive fee. Exactly the sort of signing I would hope we are firming up to announce shortly after the seasons end.

A big tackle, getting in someone's face, a great piece of tracking back, he is a leader and we miss that when it is Eriksen and Son along side Dele.

It also gets the crowd going.

There's nothing like the roar of the crowd behind this team when our pressing game goes up a gear and the opposition are panicked into mistakes.

It's been there this year, but it doesn't feel like we've sustained that level of pressing for the long periods that we saw last season.

It also gets the crowd going.

There's nothing like the roar of the crowd behind this team when our pressing game goes up a gear and the opposition are panicked into mistakes.

It's been there this year, but it doesn't feel like we've sustained that level of pressing for the long periods that we saw last season.

Yes, agreed. In my opinion, we are a better pressing side with him in the side. All the recent praise for Lallana reminds me how much we miss Lamela.

Not sure what the fuss is about Lamela. Aside from these quote-less stories from places like the Mail and the Mirror (who also claimed we were gonna get Isco and Gotze this summer), all we've heard from the club and player is that he's trying to get over a troublesome hip injury.

It's frustrating because he's a good player, but I wonder how many minutes he'd be getting at this point in the season anyway in our new formation. Moreover, if we are really going to commit to three at the back (which I hope we do), I wonder if they'd look closer at moving Lamela on in the summer, if they can get a decent offer for him.

If you consider our squad for next season, you could argue that he's not a great fit for anyone except Eriksen's position, which can also be filled by Sonny or Dele. I wonder if they'd go for somebody who is a little more versatile, who can either also play a little deeper (i.e. Barkley, Tielemans) or who could also play in one of the top 2 positions (i.e. Meyer). Also, I'd love to see either Edwards or Onomah getting some time in those roles.

-----------------------------Lloris (Vorm)-------
----Dier (CCV)--TBA (Wimmer)---Vertonghen (Davies)---
Walker (Trips)--------------------------------Rose (Davies)
------------Wanyama (Dier)--------Dembele (Winks)-------
---------------------Eriksen (Lamela)----------------------
----------Dele (Son)----------------Kane (Janssen)--------

As much as I'm a longtime Lamela fan, if we can actually get 25-ish million from a team in Italy and are actually going to be a 3-at-the-back team, it might kinda make sense to move him on this summer. If you can get 50-ish million for Sissoko and Lamela, you could easily buy one or two of the aforementioned players and be better suited for next season.

On an unrelated note, it also makes me doubtful that we'd actually be looking for a traditional winger this summer like Zaha.

I would seriously hope so. Schalke have to sell this summer or he goes for nothing so he isn't going to command a massive fee. Exactly the sort of signing I would hope we are firming up to announce shortly after the seasons end.

I assume that Chelsea and Liverpool are going to be itching to make similar signings so I don't set any expectation on it. Just have some hope.

Not sure what the fuss is about Lamela. Aside from these quote-less stories from places like the Mail and the Mirror (who also claimed we were gonna get Isco and Gotze this summer), all we've heard from the club and player is that he's trying to get over a troublesome hip injury.

It's frustrating because he's a good player, but I wonder how many minutes he'd be getting at this point in the season anyway in our new formation. Moreover, if we are really going to commit to three at the back (which I hope we do), I wonder if they'd look closer at moving Lamela on in the summer, if they can get a decent offer for him.

If you consider our squad for next season, you could argue that he's not a great fit for anyone except Eriksen's position, which can also be filled by Sonny or Dele. I wonder if they'd go for somebody who is a little more versatile, who can either also play a little deeper (i.e. Barkley, Tielemans) or who could also play in one of the top 2 positions (i.e. Meyer). Also, I'd love to see either Edwards or Onomah getting some time in those roles.

-----------------------------Lloris (Vorm)-------
----Dier (CCV)--TBA (Wimmer)---Vertonghen (Davies)---
Walker (Trips)--------------------------------Rose (Davies)
------------Wanyama (Dier)--------Dembele (Winks)-------
---------------------Eriksen (Lamela)----------------------
----------Dele (Son)----------------Kane (Janssen)--------

As much as I'm a longtime Lamela fan, if we can actually get 25-ish million from a team in Italy and are actually going to be a 3-at-the-back team, it might kinda make sense to move him on this summer. If you can get 50-ish million for Sissoko and Lamela, you could easily buy one or two of the aforementioned players and be better suited for next season.

On an unrelated note, it also makes me doubtful that we'd actually be looking for a traditional winger this summer like Zaha.

I would see him as competition for Eriksens position/role in the team, with Son and Alli competing for the other attacking midfield position, same as you - however in that situation i dont see it as something which needs improving on, for me that is four quality players competing for two positions which also gives us the option to go 3 behind Kane for certain games, if we wanted.

With that in mind and assuming there's no off the pitch problems, and his attitude is not in question etc then im not sure why we'd be looking to make a change - finding a player to come in as back up/cover to Eriksen and being able to adapt to the league/country, Poch/his methods and make a positive impact seems reasonably unlikely to me, especially in our price bracket.

I would be interested in having a player like Zaha as additional option too as a natural wide/tricky/fast player would be a good way to change our approach off the bench - i guess thats what we've been looking for in N'jie/N'koudou but it just hasnt really worked out With them

Maybe one of our resident experts like @johnola could offer his insight into why he thinks any or all the above is misguided.

Well since I commented we haven't missed him you have called me a bellend and wasting who know how much of your time messing around with mr men cartoons.

I'm really expecting an apology and then you can go back in this thread and read what I have had to say about lamella.

I don't think Poch wants an out and out winger, it seems to me he wants the attacking midfield players to be able to switch with each other creating space or using the space that's created.

Poch's activity in the transfer market would seem to contradict this. He has bought Nige and NKD. For one reason or another, they haven't worked out. But it would seem to me that he certainly wants a fast tricky winger as an option- probably from the bench.

I would see him as competition for Eriksens position/role in the team, with Son and Alli competing for the other attacking midfield position, same as you - however in that situation i dont see it as something which needs improving on, for me that is four quality players competing for two positions which also gives us the option to go 3 behind Kane for certain games, if we wanted.

With that in mind and assuming there's no off the pitch problems, and his attitude is not in question etc then im not sure why we'd be looking to make a change - finding a player to come in as back up/cover to Eriksen and being able to adapt to the league/country, Poch/his methods and make a positive impact seems reasonably unlikely to me, especially in our price bracket.

I would be interested in having a player like Zaha as additional option too as a natural wide/tricky/fast player would be a good way to change our approach off the bench - i guess thats what we've been looking for in N'jie/N'koudou but it just hasnt really worked out With them

Two words. Injury liability. Someone who has missed large parts of two of the last three seasons has unfortunately shown he is not someone we can rely on. To paraphrase an old saying - to miss one season is unfortunate, to miss two is downright careless. He plays on the edge, often reckless in a Gazza cup final sort of way, and his tackling style will always render him liable to injury imo.

If there are no off-field issues, I would not be averse to keeping him ( in a better the devil you know sort of way) but if we can find a player with more guile and playmaker characteristics to be more natural Eriksen competition, then I would go for it.

I agree with what you're saying, but as Poch seems hellbent on playing Eriksen every single game, I just wonder if there are enough minutes for Lamela, if he's really only fighting for one spot with Eriksen. I don't think he's enough of a goal threat to be in the Sonny/Dele role (for comparison, Sonny has 3 more Prem goals in 35 fewer games).

It might be a different story if they can get him signed up to a fair contract. But if he wants to be paid on par with our highest earners, I'm not quite sure it adds up. And if he doesn't sign soon, they kinda have to sell him, no?

Poch's activity in the transfer market would seem to contradict this. He has bought Nige and NKD. For one reason or another, they haven't worked out. But it would seem to me that he certainly wants a fast tricky winger as an option- probably from the bench.

I agree he wants fast and tricky but not someone who stay out wide, he's got two of the best fullbacks in the league to do that, why block their space. Inter-changing positions is the key to how we best attack from midfield.

I agree he wants fast and tricky but not someone who stay out wide, he's got two of the best fullbacks in the league to do that, why block their space. Inter-changing positions is the key to how we best attack from midfield.

But Nige and NKD are both out and out wingers. Poch bought them.

But Nige and NKD are both out and out wingers. Poch bought them.

Poch never wanted either player:

The Tottenham manager did not ask for the French winger to be signed by Spurs, and that the former Southampton boss had no input in the negotiations.

A source close to the transfer told France Football that it was a ‘deal between presidents’, meaning that Daniel Levy took it upon himself to place Nkoudou in Pochettino’s squad.

Furthermore, the report claims the French winger will not be given another chance this season by the Argentinean manager, heavily hinting that his time at Tottenham is over.

Now it all depends on how much money the Premier League club can get for him after the winger barely playing for a season.

Will they recoup the £9m they spent on him in the first place?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/pochettino-never-wanted-tottenham-summer-signing-deal-presidents/

Not that I see how any of it is relevant to this thread.

On full form Lamela isn't competition for Eriksen, he's the perfect compliment. The two players bounce off each other brilliantly.

For me a front three of Eriksen -- Alli -- Lamela is still our strongest.

Poch never wanted either player:

The Tottenham manager did not ask for the French winger to be signed by Spurs, and that the former Southampton boss had no input in the negotiations.

A source close to the transfer told France Football that it was a ‘deal between presidents’, meaning that Daniel Levy took it upon himself to place Nkoudou in Pochettino’s squad.

Furthermore, the report claims the French winger will not be given another chance this season by the Argentinean manager, heavily hinting that his time at Tottenham is over.

Now it all depends on how much money the Premier League club can get for him after the winger barely playing for a season.

Will they recoup the £9m they spent on him in the first place?

http://sportwitness.co.uk/pochettino-never-wanted-tottenham-summer-signing-deal-presidents/

Not that I see how any of it is relevant to this thread.

On full form Lamela isn't competition for Eriksen, he's the perfect compliment. The two players bounce off each other brilliantly.

For me a front three of Eriksen -- Alli -- Lamela is still our strongest.

WHAAAAAAAT? No Kane??????????

You know what I mean. The fluid attacking front 3 that play behind Kane.

I don't see Poch ditching the current formation and moving back to 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever you want to call it anytime soon regardless of Lamela's fitness/return. Although Son is inconsistent, he's a match winner and I see him and Lamela battling it out for a first team place when Lamela comes back.

I don't see Poch ditching the current formation and moving back to 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 or whatever you want to call it anytime soon regardless of Lamela's fitness/return. Although Son is inconsistent, he's a match winner and I see him and Lamela battling it out for a first team place when Lamela comes back.

I doubt they'd be directly competing with each other as they offer different things - it'd be Alli/Son paired with Eriksen/Lamela as whatever player is missing you'd have the right blend of creativity, goals and work rate.

If they were competing directly with one another you'd have to look back and see which of the two has missed out the most when all have been fit previously, that being Son

I doubt they'd be directly competing with each other as they offer different things - it'd be Alli/Son paired with Eriksen/Lamela as whatever player is missing you'd have the right blend of creativity, goals and work rate

I don't agree that Lamela is Eriksen's natural understudy/competition. We currently don't have such a player in the squad and I hope we strengthen here in the summer.

Back