1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Mauricio Pochettino

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by DubaiSpur, 27 May 2014.

1. billyiddo

billyiddo Jimmy Cantrell Staff Member

Eriksen our main creative outlet is leaving, our CB pairing of the last 4 years is leaving, we have no defensive midfield to speak of and our full backs aren't any good - that all needs fixing and that is a rebuild.

We haven't improved the first team in the transfer market since the summer of 15/16 when we signed Son and Alderweireld, if you can't see that that might cause some problems 4 years down the line then that's on you really

Last edited: 18 Oct 2019
  2. Grays_1890

Grays_1890 Jermaine Jenas

Spot on and as much as some is Poch fault his involvement ends at the negotiation table so is not at fault for players not leaving due to Levy wanting too much for example.

Hence my earlier post when people pull the "manage the squad" line

thfcsteff likes this.
  3. Raziel

Raziel John Lacy

How we got here is not important, its an excuse and that's the problem, we have and continue to give the squad an excuse. I still think

- Hugo, Gazza, Jan, Sanchez, Tangaga, Foyth, Dier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, N'dombele, Sessegnon, Dele, Lucas, Lo Celso, Lamela, Son, Kane, Troy can be your base

Even if as everyone thinks for whatever reason we got rid of Toby, Aurier, KWP, Rose, Eriksen, Wanyama all at once, you still have a 19 man squad that again if you added 1 CB, 2 FBs and 1 DM it is not some crazy overhaul, not some "rebuild"

4. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Dean Richards

Last season we didn't bring in a single player and had virtually our whole first team playing right to the end of the World Cup and then ended up with a bunch of injuries early on and then a bunch of fatigued players later on. Getting 4th and to the CL final was a huge achievement in light of the constraints.

If it's so easy to run a club paying much lower wages than your rivals then why doesn't every other club in the World do the same thing? Do you not accept that in every big European League (and probably the smaller ones as well - I haven't checked). The clubs at the top of the league are the clubs with the biggest wage and transfer budgets? Do you not accept that therefore it is likely that having a bigger budget makes it more likely that you will be at the top end of the table?

If you feel it is pointless debating with somebody who holds a different view point than you do then feel free to stop, although I always thought the whole point of debating was to discuss things with somebody who has a different view point?

5. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Dean Richards

That is still only 19 players. Of those 19 players....
    Tananga and Troy are very much youngsters still (although not sure why you missed Skipp here? He is further ahead than either of those IMO). IMO all three of these players should be away from the club on loan anyway. Otherwise we risk them stagnating via getting so few minutes like KWP has. So in reality we're now down to only 16 payers.

Hugo is injured. That's 15.
    Lo Celso is injured. That's 14.
    Sessegnon is injured. That's 13.
    Additionally Dier has been injured and having come back looks like he might have gone the way of Wanyama. I'm also not sure that Foyth shown anything at Spurs to indicate he is ready for first team football?

Anyway even if we count Dier and Foyth that is still only 13 players which is actually a very, very small selection pool indeed.

There's also the issue that in addition to the players that want out/Poch wants out you list above Jan is also now in his last season at Spurs. It is never a good idea to let players get into the final season of their contract. Why has Levy not got an extension agreed yet? At what point will Vertonghen start to play like he is protecting himself in light of only having 8 more months salary left?

Having as many as 6 players (or 7 with Vertonghen) all to be on the way out of the club at the same time is actually a huge rebuild. Especially when 5 of them have played a big part in the team and another one of them became defacto first choice in a position due to having already sold the player previously playing ahead of him.

6. lurker of old

lurker of old Luke Young

19 losses in 41 games
    Crumbs, is our form really that bad, lose tomorrow and all this argument becomes academic, he surely has to go.....

7. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Sebastien Bassong

And be replaced by whom exactly?

Robspur12 likes this.
  8. MKSpur

MKSpur Ruel Fox

Someone with a 59.1 win percentage...
    C0D588DD-8F14-481C-A53B-4230BBFDA5D7.jpeg

9. Raziel

Raziel John Lacy

Yep, it's on par for about 14th in the table .. (for more games than a full season)

10. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Barry Daines Staff Member

Now that the amazon news has officially broken, can I ask anyone here if they GENUINELY believe it just came about in the last couple of months? Yeah. Right. These things are discussed way way in advance. Let me present a scenario (for the purposes of this post quite obviously conjecture and not an inch more). Imagine how you'd feel, as a old manager who puts a high premium on spirit, vibe, community and discretion, if it was suggested that your workplace be the focus of 24 hour intrusion by a camera crew? Imagine if you said, "Hmmm, I'd really not want that thank you." And imagine if you were ignored. Worse still, imagine you came into work and were simply told this was happening, that your workspace was going to be shared by a camera crew, line editors, editors, lighting people, sound people, at least a half dozen extra people, plus some nifty small unobtrusive cameras that would remain on. It might put a cat among the pigeons.

Somewhere, I think he will always pay for the book. It possibly took away any leverage he might've had in any potential "keeping it under the table" stakes, as it was not a wise project to engage in. But regardless, IF ANY of this happened when raised as a project in the last 8-10 months (or whatever window), then it would not have helped anything.

I have worked, and still do work, with this sort of intense camera scrutiny around me (fortunately there are many bigger fish to be seen then little old me). I can tell you, when it first enters your world, the effect is enormous, and it takes a long time to even start adjusting.

glasgowspur likes this.
  11. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL Jimmy Neighbour

12. Legohamster

Legohamster Alf Ramsey

First thing I thought after I heard about this was I bet the manager isn’t happy, but he hasn’t a leg to stand on after the book.

13. Legohamster

Legohamster Alf Ramsey

First thing I thought after I heard about this was I bet the manager isn’t happy, but he hasn’t a leg to stand on after the book.

14. Legohamster

Legohamster Alf Ramsey

Except he has said the opposite 2 weeks ago and Levy said he has players he doesn’t want here 3 days ago.

If they are as bad as being made out, there is no need to protect them.

15. Raziel

Raziel John Lacy

Excuses after excuses .. simple quote

“When setting expectations, no matter what has been said or written, if substandard performance is accepted and no one is held accountable — if there are no consequences — that poor performance becomes the new standard. Therefore, leaders must enforce standards.”

16. billyiddo

These are long serving players who don't deserve to be thrown under the bus even if their form has dropped off and they see their futures elsewhere.

17. Spurs7891

Spurs7891 Mauricio Taricco

Anything is possible at Spurs, especially under Levy. Pochettino may have bought us to CL final but he cannot expect any favour from Levy. Past achievement means nothing to Levy as he has sacked Jol who bought us 2 consecutive top 5 finishes, Ramos who won us the League Cup, Redknapp who bought us CL football and AVB who achieved record league points. Pochettino better do something to improve our current form instantly.

18. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Michael Carrick

Strictly depends where each person thinks the line is drawn in terms of the use of each term.......overhaul,refresh,rebuild and even those terms could be interchangeable.

FWIW worth ....if from summer 2019 to summer 2020 my team faced changing the whole first choice back four and the DCM options in front of it and finally had to replace the most creative player in the team......and someone classed it as a rebuild or overhaul I wouldn't push back against it, as it looks like one moreso given the number of first team starters within those mentioned that are on their way.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2019
    billyiddo likes this.
  19. fernadez

fernadez William Gallas

Less than a leg.

20. billyiddo

How we got here most certainly is important when supporters are looking to apportion blame - how else do you do that without looking back at how we have arrived at this point? Ludicrous statement.