1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Mauricio Pochettino

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by DubaiSpur, 27 May 2014.

1. galeforce

galeforce Teddy Sheringham

Call me fickle but I’m going to be unhappy when we’re playing badly and happy we are playing well.

2. galeforce

galeforce Teddy Sheringham

he’s a dingdonghead, every time he opens his mouth something embarrassing comes out of it, he makes Sherwood look reserved

I’d hate having him as our manager

3. mudshark

mudshark Jermaine Jenas

Having absorbed what Poch said in his presser, I think he's right; there's a need for calm above all. I think I'm going to take a step back and let him get on with it, stop scab-picking and look away from the goldfish bowl before crisis becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

4. StephenH

StephenH Les Medley

What was your other option?

Spurs under Pochertino are always calm..zzzzzzzz!

5. indospurs

indospurs Andy Sinton

In the UCL game v Bayern, we let in 3 goals in the last 10 minutes while still chasing at 4-2, so wasn't going to make a difference points wise. It was a loss, but the score was an aberration, a humiliating one that we have to put behind us...

HOWEVER we need to win versus Brighton and continue to get a run of form in the EPL, as well as UCL, for momentum and getting the players on board

glasgowspur likes this.
  6. mudshark

mudshark Jermaine Jenas

Carrying on focussing on and agonising over details I can have no influence over, which only ever leads to more and more extremity.

braineclipse and StephenH like this.
  7. ricky2tricky4city

ricky2tricky4city Michael Carrick

There is something to what you say.

The pressure, noise, commotion, narratives can all sadly have an affect, its just the latest thing to laugh shout and rant about. What's even sadder is it's mostly from people that don't give a toss about the outcomes.

And I'm 400% not saying that's anyone on here.

afsoc4life and mudshark like this.
  8. StephenH

StephenH Les Medley

Surely that your job as a football fan or should that be Spurs fan?

Seriously though I think you are quite right.
    My take is to care but don't care too much and don't let it grind you down.

mudshark likes this.
  9. StephenH

StephenH Les Medley

Fickle!

afsoc4life, galeforce and Nigeyman like this.
  10. Nigeyman

Nigeyman Mauricio Taricco

What do you think this is fking hide and seek
    Spot on, that’s exactly how fans can differ and perceive supporting the club. I worry that we could see in fighting akin to the other lots fans a few years ago where there was huge toxicity concerning wenger and terrible arguments.

I wouldn’t want to see that but fear we are seeing the initial rumblings of it. We could all be more tactful, myself included.

11. StephenH

StephenH Les Medley

Found this on today's BBC sport site - made me chuckle
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49886768

Still, like him as a manager........:rolleyes:

galeforce likes this.
  12. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Alf Ramsey

Rodgers is just a smiling Jose, every club he's left the players have been glad to see him go.
    And he doesn't have Jose talent as a coach.

13. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Nayim

Similar with Inter, he generally played well but was then completely prepared to grind a game out to get a win at a key point

galeforce likes this.
  14. glasgowspur

glasgowspur Alf Ramsey

Just picked the dumbest answer and only got one wrong, tells you everything you need to know.

15. StephenH

StephenH Les Medley

Off the pitch they all do my head in!

16. nayimfromthehalfwayline

nayimfromthehalfwayline Nayim

Unlike you, I dont claim inside knowledge. So I do not KNOW what they are doing at all. Though I certainly HOPE they are doing all the right things.

Beside which, you asked what I would do, so I gave an honest reply.

Trumpian? Diversions? Needlessly antagonistic, Steff.

I did see your list. And I explained exactly how I see it and why. Instead of perhaps explaining in a different way, or - heaven forbid - appreciating a different point of view, you decide to double down and get shirty.

Youve listed, for the most part, things all managers deal with. So is it really a reason for the management to be failing?

The extras, like bad attitudes in the squad - that is absolutely for the manager to reslove. Poch, I believe, has that in his power - and he has proven it in the past.

Poch played Lamela 1 time out of 3. He also has Alli as an alternative. He also has a change of formation and use of Moura as an alternative. Yes, use the squad of players that are committed and will perform. He is not obligated to deal with Eriksen if Eriksen is a problem.

Yes, you do. You remove the cancerous elements and work with the healthy squad that remains.

YOU are the one telling me that Poch has been underperforming because he is all sad transfers didnt happen. And in the same breath tell me he is doing the best he can as a manager?

All Im saying, and have consistently said, is its up to Poch to get the best out of the group available. If a player isnt on board - make them unavailable and keep the good vibes rolling. I have also said, consistently, that all the time there is a plan in place, clear ideas on the field, people will be supportive even if results are poor.

How unreasonable is that?! Thinking the man in charge, the man who has done the exact thing Im talking about in the past - and appears not to be - is the one who can make the difference. Rather than just buying into the boo-hoo he couldnt sell players, boo-hoo some players arent fit yet excuse cycle...

I really havent. Ive tried to remove the noise surrounding the situation to recognise the actual core of it.

Poch is the manager. His job is to deal with constraints. He has done it wonderfully over the last 5 years. As you should know Ive been a strong advocate for him the whole time.

What Im looking for now is to see him do it some more, and what Im seeing leaves me feeling very uneasy.

Pretty much everything he has done since being here has made sense. There has been an obvious benefit to it. And even when he was playing Mason and Bentaleb and Kane having bombed out senior players - everyone was on board.

His persistence with the diamond is the opposite of all that. It makes no sense. Even lay people here can see better alternatives. The BM performance was called out, on here, an hour before kick off. If people are able to forsee that, but not what on earth the manager is doing, I think its only fair to raise a hand and say you dont think things are looking good.

At no point does that mean I dont want Poch to succeed, or that I dont think he has the ability, or that I dont think he deserves the chance.

Its simply recognition of - what the fudge is going on? and Why does Poch seem to be getting it so wrong?

I agree. The analogy wasnt mine. I was just pointing to the difference between Poch suddenly becoming distant (as reported) and Fergie not being heavily involved in training.

I agree completely that Id love nothing more than for him to pull it round.

And I agree he should be given the chance.

The ONLY problem I have with that approach, is doing so completely blind of any sort of plan/direction. I think Poch needs to provide the road we will travel, so we can follow him down it. Otherwise, what if Poch has actually lost his mind and we are just fudging ourselves up?

They arent. I have never once said they were. I have, many times, stated the situation with Eriksen is entirely of his design, we were powerless, for example.

That is not my point at all.

YOU say Poch has an issue with these players still being here.

I say, he is under no obligation to have them in the squad or with the team.

THAT is well within his power. Poch can resolve the issue you describe himself. That is all.

17. Pirate55

Pirate55 The Last Man Standing 17/18

0-1. Maupassant. 2 mins Another Lloris howler. That is why I would have started Gazza who is now coming on for a self injured Hugo.

18. Gazza

Gazza Dean Austin

Pitch forks at the ready???

19. Jordinho

Jordinho John White Staff Member

Not sure we can afford to wait and see if Poch can fix this mess. I think everyone could do with a reset.

20. BrainOfLevy

BrainOfLevy Vedran Corluka

??? How can Poch be in any way blamed for us gifting them a goal from a cross?

This is the time to stay calm and trust the man. We cannot catch a break at the moment and we need to be smart and realise the brick sandwich we are constantly eating, rather than getting too easily swayed by unfortunate events.

21. Cochise

Cochise Paul Stalteri

We are a mess right now. Levy is at the top of the tree and imo should take a lot of brick here, just as much as Poch.

I do think that last summer's window of "no players unless Poch wants them" was a poor idea, but one born out of distrust. Poch wanted specific targets and wouldn't take the fall back options like in the past when Levy gave him players like GKN. However this league has shown us that for affordable prices teams can be built. So either our scouting department is that bad that Poch doesn't trust a single target they recommend or he's lost the ability to take players and improve them.

Still, Poch has set out his stall and wants us to play in a certain style. We have always been quite widthless and as the game has progressed towards the 433 that Klopp and Pep use so well, Poch's refusal to change has become more and more scrutinised. I don't think he wants to nor can change from his system and we are going backwards.