• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Mauricio Pochettino - Sacked

this 4-3-3 he is playing has to stop. Its not working at all.

I agree the setup didn't work out but it was nothing like the 433/diamond he had been playing.

Against City it was a narrow 4411 all game.
------------------Lloris
KWP Alderweireld Sanchez Rose
Sissoko Ndombele Winks Eriksen
-----------------Lamela
-----------------Kane

When Winks went off for Moura it was
------------------Lloris
Lamela Ndombele Sissoko Eriksen
-----------------Moura
-----------------Kane

Soon after that Eriksen went through the middle
------------------Lloris
Moura Ndombele Sissoko Lamela
----------------Eriksen
-----------------Kane

Then Lo Celso came on for Lamela
------------------Lloris
Moura Ndombele Sissoko Lo Celso
----------------Eriksen
-----------------Kane

Lo Celso went behind Kane after Skipp came on for Eriksen

The problem seemed to be getting the ball to midfield from the back. We didn't have many opportunities to get it from midfield to attack. I saw players that couldn't hold onto the ball in midfield and others not finding space, basic stuff. Ndombele I can forgive but Lamela and Eriksen were terrible. It was only when moura came on could we hold onto any possession.

This was a game where we needed Son and Alli more than we usually do. Sonny’s speed would’ve allowed more variation from the back, Dele’s movement would’ve allowed Eriksen more space. What was clearest to me was that Lamela did two things all day amidst a poor performance; that they were both of extreme significance mitigated every ball he gave away.

We are currently in a very strange place thanks to the Euro window; in context, to score twice and remain within touching distance during the game was an achievement and then some.

This was a game where we needed Son and Alli more than we usually do. Sonny’s speed would’ve allowed more variation from the back, Dele’s movement would’ve allowed Eriksen more space. What was clearest to me was that Lamela did two things all day amidst a poor performance; that they were both of extreme significance mitigated every ball he gave away.

We are currently in a very strange place thanks to the Euro window; in context, to score twice and remain within touching distance during the game was an achievement and then some.

Yeah agree and lets switch it up and play this game at WHL, have Son and Dele, have no players in limbo, remove Sterling and De Bruyne, have some of their players in limbo and then see who performs better......

For an Argentinian i remain puzzled how poor Poch is in the dark footballing arts! Yesterday was a game when we needed to cut their ball movement with tiny fouls - like Sterling did in the first half when we were threatening a break. For all their greatness, Guardiola's teams always had that effective characteristic. Also for me it was criminal not to have one of our midfielders man mark de Bruyne. He was their main threat and Winks should have been on his feet all game.

For an Argentinian i remain puzzled how poor Poch is in the dark footballing arts! Yesterday was a game when we needed to cut their ball movement with tiny fouls - like Sterling did in the first half when we were threatening a break. For all their greatness, Guardiola's teams always had that effective characteristic. Also for me it was criminal not to have one of our midfielders man mark de Bruyne. He was their main threat and Winks should have been on his feet all game.

Agreed. We seemed timid sometimes. I mean, look. We hung and got the point, but yes, we were nice.

The problem seemed to be getting the ball to midfield from the back. We didn't have many opportunities to get it from midfield to attack. I saw players that couldn't hold onto the ball in midfield and others not finding space, basic stuff. Ndombele I can forgive but Lamela and Eriksen were terrible. It was only when moura came on could we hold onto any possession.
I think a lot of that came because Winks only looked to pass it backwards

I think a lot of that came because Winks only looked to pass it backwards
I know you have never rated Winks and there’s not many opportunities to have a pop at him, but I don’t think making a negative comment about him in every thread when he has an average game will make others change their opinion on him. ;)

I know you have never rated Winks and there’s not many opportunities to have a pop at him, but I don’t think making a negative comment about him in every thread when he has an average game will make others change their opinion on him. ;)
Au contraire. I like Winks and hope that he makes it as a footballer with us. I think he has all of the attributes to be brilliant, he just needs to be braver. I felt on many occasions on Saturday he received the ball without too much pressure on him and immediately gave it backwards or sideways instead of being aware that he had time to look up. I get that if he loses it in that deepest central position then we are in big trouble and it is therefore a very fine line, but thought that he erred about 20% too much on the side of caution on Saturday and 30% to 40% too much on that side against Villa.

Au contraire. I like Winks and hope that he makes it as a footballer with us. I think he has all of the attributes to be brilliant, he just needs to be braver. I felt on many occasions on Saturday he received the ball without too much pressure on him and immediately gave it backwards or sideways instead of being aware that he had time to look up. I get that if he loses it in that deepest central position then we are in big trouble and it is therefore a very fine line, but thought that he erred about 20% too much on the side of caution on Saturday and 30% to 40% too much on that side against Villa.

Tbf to Winks, i'm not sure his game is going to be as good as it should be in our current system whereby he is often the one with most 'defensive' responsibility. Basically, he i think is suffering from knowing that in his position if he loses the ball, the opposition might be straight in on goal.
If he was playing alongside, say, a Kante, peak Wanyama or even peak Dier, i think he'd be much better at taking more attacking passing choices.

I don’t disagree with you versus Villa, but I think caution in possession was a deliberate tactic to contain City on Saturday. A lot of the talk is about 30 shots to 3, but to take 44% of the possession against a side like City means we took as much opportunity as possible to keep the ball away from them in really dangerous areas. I think we tried to keep it slow other than in specific points (Tanguy’s ball to Lamela being an example of when we shifted).

Pooch thinks it was a mistake on Levy and the PL's part to close the transfer window before the season starts and before the rest of Europe close their own. [emoji38]

He must not understand who Daniel Levy is yet, if the window was still open we probably would still be in negotiation for Lo Celso and Sessegnon right now. At least this way we have to get out players in before the window closes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

I still maintain closing the window early is a good thing.

Its unfortunate we have uncertainty around Eriksen, but we knew that anyway - and we have made moves accordingly already.

If Eriksen leaves or not, we have a squad we can settle down and work with.

As much as Poch might not like that, I bet he would like it even less if we were still negotiating to bring players in 3 games into the season...

Poch seems perennially unhappy ATM. I agree with Stef that we are in a strange place currently - but some of that is the managers own making. His side set ups and tactics have been poor in both games. Yes Dele and Son are big misses but we have other players with pace and movement. We could have played totally different games against City and Villa from the start - that is down to him. He started both by playing square pegs in round holes, His comments that City are so far ahead of us in my view contributed to the players standing off City and having an inferiority complex against them. He needs to man up and work with what he has got to best effect.

Poch seems perennially unhappy ATM. I agree with Stef that we are in a strange place currently - but some of that is the managers own making. His side set ups and tactics have been poor in both games. Yes Dele and Son are big misses but we have other players with pace and movement. We could have played totally different games against City and Villa from the start - that is down to him. He started both by playing square pegs in round holes, His comments that City are so far ahead of us in my view contributed to the players standing off City and having an inferiority complex against them. He needs to man up and work with what he has got to best effect.

Someone on the Last Word on Spurs podcast said a similar thing on this week’s edition - i.e. the club has now backed Poch financially as he asked, and it’s time for him to get his head down and get on with the job.

Team aura colour is bad

Last edited:
Someone on the Last Word on Spurs podcast said a similar thing on this week’s edition - i.e. the club has now backed Poch financially as he asked, and it’s time for him to get his head down and get on with the job.
You’d think after what he’s been though with us this season would be cream cheese! I’m not reading too much into it, I think he’s just a little bored of the repetitive negative questions rather than actual football chat.
The point the window is an interesting one, in the past the first couple of games were a period we were usually under pressure to fend off bids for our best players and not have our new singings done until the season had started. Now we are a bigger player with a squad that is settled it would work in our favour to align it with Europe.

Not quite sure I agree with the “man up” comment. He is clearly looking to see how best Ndombele fits with who we have now he has him. He clearly wants Sissoko’s power and drive, he clearly wants Winks’ curation of the ball. He has a left-sided CB with whom there appears to be a dispute, and he is using a right back he hadn’t planned on using as first-choice. He has had to make do without Son and Dele, plus he remains unsure whether he will have Eriksen.

I think there is general turbulence. I think he is also learning a whole new palette of pressures which come from being an elite manager at a top club. There’s nothing like experience. If we keep getting results things will settle...

Back