• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Laziness and lack of energy

Daisuk

Les Medley
So my three year old wakes up at 6 every fudging day, even today when it's Sunday, and I'm tired and got no energy, but chug a cup of coffee and get going somehow. Then of course it's snow out so we have to go out and go sledding cus the kids enjoy that, but he's obviously too young to go out himself. Outside all the other moms and dads and their kids are there having a great old time. They're seemingly loving it! I'm just hanging by the ropes trying not to fall asleep, to be honest, and have to listen to the parents yap on about home improvements or whatever fudging car they plan on buying.

I genuinely can't believe the amount of energy most people seem to have. Work all week and out playing with the kids all day long during the weekends. How do they fudging do it? I just feel like sleeping and tinkling about all day, there's just no energy. And to top it off people call me lazy because I'm obviously a bit grumpy and don't find sledding when I'm tired and lack energy to be the most fun activity.

How do people do it? Are they just amazing actors or am I a lazy old sod? What's the fudging trick? How do you get energy to work all week and play with your kid all weekend long ad infinitum?

So my three year old wakes up at 6 every fudging day, even today when it's Sunday, and I'm tired and got no energy, but chug a cup of coffee and get going somehow. Then of course it's snow out so we have to go out and go sledding cus the kids enjoy that, but he's obviously too young to go out himself. Outside all the other moms and dads and their kids are there having a great old time. They're seemingly loving it! I'm just hanging by the ropes trying not to fall asleep, to be honest, and have to listen to the parents yap on about home improvements or whatever fudging car they plan on buying.

I genuinely can't believe the amount of energy most people seem to have. Work all week and out playing with the kids all day long during the weekends. How do they fudging do it? I just feel like sleeping and tinkling about all day, there's just no energy. And to top it off people call me lazy because I'm obviously a bit grumpy and don't find sledding when I'm tired and lack energy to be the most fun activity.

How do people do it? Are they just amazing actors or am I a lazy old sod? What's the fudging trick? How do you get energy to work all week and play with your kid all weekend long ad infinitum?
Maybe you should go and see a doctor. I've had this problem since I was a child, especially in the winter time. Most commonly it's a lack of iron that cases it, or as in later years with me, lack of magnesium.
Go and have your blood checked. If it's just lack of magnesium or iron, it's easy to sort out, and you won't believe the difference once the levels are restored!
In addition, some exercise helps a lot! It's just getting about to doing it the first few times that takes a massive effort. But once you get going your energy levels increase.
I've been in that situation many times, and it sucks, but once you get going a bit, everything changes, and you'll be on top again. Good luck!

Maybe you should go and see a doctor. I've had this problem since I was a child, especially in the winter time. Most commonly it's a lack of iron that cases it, or as in later years with me, lack of magnesium.
Go and have your blood checked. If it's just lack of magnesium or iron, it's easy to sort out, and you won't believe the difference once the levels are restored!
In addition, some exercise helps a lot! It's just getting about to doing it the first few times that takes a massive effort. But once you get going your energy levels increase.
I've been in that situation many times, and it sucks, but once you get going a bit, everything changes, and you'll be on top again. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I've done that a few times, but all is seemingly fine. I've been slightly lacking vitamin D, but I'm taking that now, so should be allright. But yeah, I've been this way for as long as I can remember. Exercise definitely works, but only so much. I haven't really exercised for a couple of weeks, so that might be the reason for it being almost impossibly hard today.

It might sound paradoxical, but it's almost certainly a lack of exercise.

I managed my first 30 years being someone who was always naturally quite fit, despite smoking, drinking, never exercising and eating whatever the fudge I wanted. It took me another 5 years past that to work out that time catches up with all of us, and if we want to have energy when we're older we have to work at it.

I don't do a lot of exercise. I've got some dumbbells that I use for toning a couple of times a week (don't go near any of that protein/steroid nonsense). Other than that, I just do cardio when it suits me. Is there a TV program you like watching? I just make sure I'm on an exercise bike whilst I watch it. Nothing strenuous, nothing that even really breaks me into a sweat, but 30 mins on a bike every single day has completely changed my fitness levels (and I was never fat).

Agree with @scaramanga on doing a bit of exercise. I also think, as you get older, you have to make sure you get enough sleep. When I was in my 20s I could just grizz out the next day if I had hardly any sleep. Now, if I don't get at least 6 hours, I feel phucked. I'm lucky in a way that my job is mostly a later start and a later finish, so even if I go to bed at midnight, I can still get a decent amount of sleep. It does make a difference, particularly if you have a busy period at work (I just had one of those in the warehouse I work with all the black Friday/cyber weekend bullsh1t).

Having two young kids now in my mid 40s and I totally concur with @Daisuk

I’m like the walking dead constantly. Weekends and evenings just kill me, and I just hang on in there for the odd day once a month when work is quiet and I might get half a day to chill. Then it all starts again...

It might sound paradoxical, but it's almost certainly a lack of exercise.

I managed my first 30 years being someone who was always naturally quite fit, despite smoking, drinking, never exercising and eating whatever the fudge I wanted. It took me another 5 years past that to work out that time catches up with all of us, and if we want to have energy when we're older we have to work at it.

I don't do a lot of exercise. I've got some dumbbells that I use for toning a couple of times a week (don't go near any of that protein/steroid nonsense). Other than that, I just do cardio when it suits me. Is there a TV program you like watching? I just make sure I'm on an exercise bike whilst I watch it. Nothing strenuous, nothing that even really breaks me into a sweat, but 30 mins on a bike every single day has completely changed my fitness levels (and I was never fat).

Yeah, it probably is. I normally exercise quite a lot (bike to work every day, which gives me roughly 30 mins of workout every week day, and I also play hockey once a week as well as the occasional round of squash), but winter time is always bad as there are all kinds of obstacles getting in the way of exercising regularly (biking to work becomes almost impossible with lots of snow, for instance). I have my dumbells lying around here, and tend to use them in bursts of 2-3 weeks at a time, until I get bored and forget about them. Maybe the exercise bike isn't such a bad idea - I was actually thinking about that the other day, and especially combining it with watching or listening to something I'd enjoy would be rather nice. Good tip! Thanks!

@the dza - yeah, sleep is probably also a big issue here. Ever since we got our son 3 and a half year ago, sleep has just been at a premium. It's been a little bit better this last year, but I still only get about 5 hours a night, and very often my son will wake up at least once in the middle of the night, and I'll spend some time comforting him and spend more time trying to fall asleep again (the wife is always in a coma when sleeping). We've tried going to bed at earlier hours, but my son will always, without exception, have a sort of nightmare between 2330 and 0030 every fudging day where he'll just need a bit of comforting - so going to bed at 22 for instance is just pointless. And then he always wakes up at around 6. Thankfully we have grandparents close to where we live, and they have him sleeping over usually about every other week, so we get to sleep a bit, but damn, sleep deprived - oh yes.

@Jon - how old are your kids? We've been sort of pondering getting a second, but it also feels like something we really shouldn't do considering the current situation of just constantly moping about not getting enough sleep or having energy for anything meaningful.

Also your diet. You haven't got to turn into some health freak, but sometimes the more tired you feel, the more sh1t you eat (because you can't be bothered to make something a bit better to eat). Try and get an extra hour's sleep, eat a little bit better and do a little bit of exercise consistently.

Do that for a month and see if you feel any better. If not, then just start smoking meth.

GentleMistyBelugawhale-size_restricted.gif

Are you me? Because that's exactly - and I mean exactly - how I felt after being awoken at six again today, for the gazillionth time, with two disgustingly energetic kids trying to force me out sledding. When I finally gave in, we another dad +kids who tried to have a chat. I just wanted to kill him and then myself.

Every weekend now is a countdown to Monday, when I get a little bit of rest commuting to work and can close my office door to avoid people. Evenings is just a few hours trying to do a fraction of what ever needs to be done (the list is long) and making the kitchen reasonably clean for next day. Winter only makes it worse, obviously.

Should probably check my iron and magnesium levels too. Used to have low iron levels as a kid, so perhaps that's a part of the solution. That, and a long holiday in the sun without kids.

Have you tried getting to the root of your little ones nightmares?

You have my sympathy, as others have said diet and better sleep can help and are important for all round health.

I have noticed some of the youngsters, late teens where I work have no energy and complain about it, but I think a lot of the problem with them is they stay up late playing their computer games. We were discussing it in the staff room the other day and they said about their tiredness, I asked one young lad whether he masturbated a lot as that can make you tired.

Turns out it is not acceptable to ask young boys whether they masturbate a lot and I got a talking to by the manager, seems that as I am considered generally a nice guy if a little odd I got away with it.

Anyway do you masturbate a lot?

I've always wondered why I'm always so tired compared to others around me and i'm starting to think its because all my mates get away with doing sod all. I've got two boys (4 and 2) and it feels like a never ending slog most of the time. I love my Mrs but she can't do anything on her own, it's always 'WE need to pop to the supermarket' or 'WE need to pop over my Mum's' etc. Whereas most of my mates have those Mrs who are like their Mums... organizing everything, making them packed lunches, dealing with the kids.
I used to look forward to weekends but now Sunday evenings are bliss, knowing the kids are back to school in the morning and ill be geting 8 hours at work to chill out and recover!!

Concur with the exercise advice, if you’re lucky enough to have a gym at work then before after or even during lunch hour has made it feel like less of a chore for me as I’ve already made the journey and it feels less like an invasion of my own time. Fail that 5 aside is the other thing that works for me, but scara’s suggestion of doing something while watching tv is something I’ve been thinking about as it makes total sense. I see there’s this Peloton thing that around now which looks like it has a screen that comes with the exercise bike and has online group spin sessions with a live trainer and stores your stats.I’ve found classes make me do more through an instructor pushing me and to avoid the embarrassment of quitting early!

Sleep is priceless too, I’m a light sleeper with a five year old. In the case of the recurring nightmare, it sounds like a habit has been built up that ends with the little one getting a comforting. It’s a hard thing to do but when they are young it is recommended that you Ferber them, letting them cry for longer and longer intervals until the dependency / reward for crying is removed. Does your son have the nightmares when he’s with his grandparents too? It will be hard to enforce but the short term pain will be worth it.

The other thing amongst all the good advice in here is diet - some foods, especially the stuff that people our age were brought up on can have a draining effect especially if you aren’t moving around enough, bread, pasta etc. And if you drink caffeine a lot maybe try and reduce / switch out especially closer to bed time.

Doss a bit more at work to improve your mental energy (remember humans are only designed to work 17 hours a week) and try a 2 mile run 3/4 nights a week after the kids have gone to bed to perk you up physically.

Doss a bit more at work to improve your mental energy (remember humans are only designed to work 17 hours a week) and try a 2 mile run 3/4 nights a week after the kids have gone to bed to perk you up physically.

We’re not designed. We evolved. And for a good few hundred generations, the vast majority of us were exploited as sweated labour.

Humans are perfectly well equipped to work for most of the time when they aren’t asleep. It’s great that we’ve got that down to 35 hours or so, no need to fabulate statistics to halve it again.

Anyway. Life just gets much, much easier when children turn into bedroom-bound, surly teenagers who no longer need to be entertained.

Lack of time is my problem, not energy. I could do with a few more hours in the day (to replace the time I spend procrastinating in here).

Back