• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Kevin Wimmer

Didn't he get his first chance last season v Emirates Marketing Project away, who played an all star front five and really took it to us? Then he got hooked at half time? Talk about in at the deep end.

My memory is not always good but i am sure he got taken off ( not because he was having a stinker) more because Poch changed our system and brought Son on?

Are you taking about his first start???

It was Arsenal away where he played and scored an OG but actually played well and the goal should never have stood

Then it was Chelsea away where he played left back and got caught out for their winner where he came too Central

Then City I think away again

Not easy games to just come into and perform
Not sure.....just remember him starting at City and it all being ugly.

Not sure of timelines but it was a tough ask to hit the ground running in the games we have both mentioned.

Not sure.....just remember him starting at City and it all being ugly.

Not sure of timelines but it was a tough ask to hit the ground running in the games we have both mentioned.

City was an alround odd game
They had nothing to lose after getting murdered at Everton and had to gamble which is why they were so gung-ho
Cost them in the end though

Based on pre-season, he's miles ahead of CCV at this point.

Obviously needs game time, but can do the role, see no value in letting him go and having to spend money on a player that will take x number of months to adapt to system.

Not really a surprise. One is an international who has played in the Bundesliga and PL; one is an unproven kid who hasn't started a top flight game yet

We have to keep him. He's a good defender, prices are crazy and whilst we would lose him as a reserve, we would sign someone valued by the selling club as a first teamer. So it's financially reckless. We would cause instability to the defence and lose a player who, in the past, came in to the team and played every bit as well as the player that he had come in to cover for; I believe that was Vertonghen.

We have to keep him. He's a good defender, prices are crazy and whilst we would lose him as a reserve, we would sign someone valued by the selling club as a first teamer. So it's financially reckless. We would cause instability to the defence and lose a player who, in the past, came in to the team and played every bit as well as the player that he had come in to cover for; I believe that was Vertonghen.
Kev wants games though, and at 24 you can't really blame him for thinking like that.

He will get games with us. Not like we won't suffer an injury through the season to at least one of our centre backs. Though I guess he wants to be a first teamed and, as you said and I agree, we can't blame him. If he pushes for a move, then let him go. Otherwise, we should do what we can to keep him.

I think Wimmer will come good again -- play him in the middle of the back 3 or the left-sided centre half in the back 4. For games where we want Dier in midfield alongside or in place of Big Vic, then this would be a good option for us imo (Toby would shift from the middle of the back 3 to the right side in this instance).

I haven't seen anything from CCV yet to suggest he is ready to play league games or other important games for us. I'm not sure he has had a good game yet, though that's not to say he won't develop more and become an option that can be relied upon.

If he goes we really will have to get at least 1 defender in.

CCV is not ready.

Yes, I think we're 1 CB short as it is. As I've said before, if you look at 3-5-2 and for simplicity given Dier's versatility just say that we have 4 CBs and DMs combined on the pitch in that formation, then we only have 5 senior players to cover those positions (combined). Therefore that means with either two injuries or suspensions we either have to change formation or play a completely unproven/untested CCV. Thats not enough depth

Yes, I think we're 1 CB short as it is. As I've said before, if you look at 3-5-2 and for simplicity given Dier's versatility just say that we have 4 CBs and DMs combined on the pitch in that formation, then we only have 5 senior players to cover those positions (combined). Therefore that means with either two injuries or suspensions we either have to change formation or play a completely unproven/untested CCV. Thats not enough depth

For a back 3, we could probably use Davies to cover the left side of the back 3, so that's an extra centre-back. If Wimmer stays, I think we are just about ok for centre backs.

--------dier/ccv---toby/wimmer---vert/davies

As I said in a previous post, if Dier is out or playing in midfield, we can move Toby to the right of the three and play Wimmer in the middle (so in theory, CCV would only come in with a proper injury crisis).

For a back 3, we could probably use Davies to cover the left side of the back 3, so that's an extra centre-back. If Wimmer stays, I think we are just about ok for centre backs.

As I said in a previous post, if Dier is out or playing in midfield, we can move Toby to the right of the three and play Wimmer in the middle (so in theory, CCV would only come in with a proper injury crisis).

With Rose being out and having a habit of picking up injuries that is a cb short unless we bring in another youth player.

With Rose being out and having a habit of picking up injuries that is a cb short unless we bring in another youth player.

Yes, and this is the problem with looking at versatile players (Davies, Dier etc) being able to play in more than one position - it can convince you that you need fewer players than you do. Personally, if I was a manager, I'd only look at each player playing in 1 position and a 22 man squad...versatility is a bonus, particuarly when in a lot of cases the second position is player to a reasonably inferior level than their main position

Yes, but out of those 6, two are also covering other positions, 1 is unproven/untested one 1 (Wimmer), whilst he played very well two seasons ago, didnt play much last year and when he did, didnt look great.

For me, we have real single points of failure around Kane and Alderweireld. They're great players but lose either of those for half the season and any aspirations which we have for the season are likely to be over

Yes, and this is the problem with looking at versatile players (Davies, Dier etc) being able to play in more than one position - it can convince you that you need fewer players than you do. Personally, if I was a manager, I'd only look at each player playing in 1 position and a 22 man squad...versatility is a bonus, particuarly when in a lot of cases the second position is player to a reasonably inferior level than their main position

That's true -- perhaps we could look at signing the young Fulham left-back, who seems more of a natural 'wing back' than Davies and better cover for Rose if we play 3 at the back. That frees up Davies to cover the left centre-back position and cover left-back in a back four.

This assumes we aren't going to spend 20m-30m on another centre-back.

To get back to Wimmer, I think he played in the centre of a back 3 against Arsenal away -- he scored a very unlucky own goal, but he was pretty good apart from that. I think with cover either side of him (left-back in a back four, defenders either side of him in the middle of a back three) he will look fine. He's not such a natural in the full-back areas, in the way that Dier,Toby and Vert are when they drift over there, but using him in the middle of a back three does alleviate that.

Yes, but out of those 6, two are also covering other positions, 1 is unproven/untested one 1 (Wimmer), whilst he played very well two seasons ago, didnt play much last year and when he did, didnt look great.

For me, we have real single points of failure around Kane and Alderweireld. They're great players but lose either of those for half the season and any aspirations which we have for the season are likely to be over
I kinda agree with what you're saying BUT anybody could contest your last point by saying Toby and Kane were out for good periods last season and we still ended up with a stellar points total (for us).

So did we miss them last season or did we cope ?

Back