• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Jan Vertonghen

The man is a legend, love this video of him in his Amsterdam flat. I remember watching this when he arrived at Spurs, back in the day

Is Jan the next man on the list to get berated before he leaves? Seems pretty obvious he will now leave us on a free. I still like Jan and would keep him as a squad player. But time for him to ride the bench now as we get ready for next season without him.

Is Jan the next man on the list to get berated before he leaves? Seems pretty obvious he will now leave us on a free. I still like Jan and would keep him as a squad player. But time for him to ride the bench now as we get ready for next season without him.

Bit of a different situation from what I've heard. We are only offering him a one year deal. He wants longer.

Berated?
By who
The guys legs have gone but his effort is still there
Surprised he isn’t offering to do some coaching

I dont see him being berated. Mourinho seems to have given up on him, so I cant see him starting more than half the games between now and May, probably a lot less.

He'll move on in the summer and then with him, Eriksen, Rose, Wanyama and may 1-2 others having left plus 6 signings in the last 2 windows and whoever comes in in the summer, we'll have moved on from the Poch era.

I really think we need a dominating CB to replace Jan. We're a bit lightweight and short

Berated?
By who
The guys legs have gone but his effort is still there
Surprised he isn’t offering to do some coaching

I didn't say he had been. I said would he be the next to get the treatment due to him not signing a new contract. Personally I love the guy. Even as a squad player I would keep him. But he wants to play longer so maybe he will go to a slower league for the rest of his career.

Last edited:
I really think we need a dominating CB to replace Jan. We're a bit lightweight and short

Agree with this. I like Sanchez but always feel he needs a Captain like player beside him. Toby will be good for a season or two more. We have a gem in Tanganga who I can imagine becoming club captain. He reminds me so much of Ledley. Pacey, knows when to put his foot in or jockey and has a knack for being in the right place at a critical time. Our job now will be to get in another top CB so we have a squad of 4 to compete for the positions.

I didn't say he had been. I said would he be the next to get the treatment due to him not signing a new contract. Personally I love the guy. Even as a squad player I would keep him. But he wants to play longer so maybe he will go to a slower league for the rest of his career.
Don’t think he has been given a contract offer

Agree with this. I like Sanchez but always feel he needs a Captain like player beside him. Toby will be good for a season or two more. We have a gem in Tanganga who I can imagine becoming club captain. He reminds me so much of Ledley. Pacey, knows when to put his foot in or jockey and has a knack for being in the right place at a critical time. Our job now will be to get in another top CB so we have a squad of 4 to compete for the positions.
Eyoma could be that man

Remember reading Neville talking about when it dawned on him that he should retire. Something about one game where his mind was still as sharp as it always was but the legs weren't keeping up and he was being given the run around over and over again.

Wasn't quite that bad necessarily but I wonder if that is what we were seeing today.

He didn't look angry or upset. Just shocked and almost resigned.

I hope whatever happens with Jan going forward, he ends up coming back to the club in a coaching capacity. And while I know he's not been here 10 years...he deserves a testimonial.

Very sad to see.

Last edited:
Was heart breaking to watch him trudge off and sit on the bench.

When people talk about "they need someone to be ruthless and not mollycoddle them" or "they need a kick in the arse", this is the reality of that. There is no better man than Jose to do it. It was sad but necessary.

Poch's style was to never to do this sort of thing and a lot of posters on here made fun of him for it.

Different management styles and I'm not advocating one over the other but Jose is doing what Jose does. You aren't performing and we need to win a game and you're getting hauled off. And, again, Jan wasn't performing.

I don't agree Vertonghen wasn't performing. We needed to change system and he was the defender to be sacrificed. It was either going to be him or Sessengon.
He did look genuinely gutted though. Maybe he misses Mrs Eriksen

So glad Levy does not hand out contracts like other clubs or we would have him on a long contract.

Is amazing how fast this league is now, used to be defenders could go on til 34 or 35.

Back